Showing handle info instead of item/string in browser's address bar?

Night Librarian

Aug 18, 2023, 12:53:49 PM8/18/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Greetings!

I believe I read an answer to this some time ago, but I can't locate it.  In our institution (on DSpace 7.4), items' URLs in a browser's address bar look like this:

Our neighbor institution's URLs look like this:
I am not sure what DSpace version they have, but is it possible in our 7.4 to get rid of /items/very_long_number_string and use /handle/handle_prefix/handle_number instead?

DSpace Technical Support

Aug 22, 2023, 12:30:44 PM8/22/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi,

DSpace 7 user interface's URLs are not customizable.  However, all old-style 6.x Handles should redirect automatically in DSpace 7 to the new URL.  So, an old style URL like [dspace.ui.url]/handle/[prefix]/[suffix] will automatically redirect to a new style URL like [dspace.ui.url]/items/[uuid].

In other words, while DSpace's new URL structure cannot be customized, all old URLs will still work to provide backwards compatibility with 5.x/6.x.

(You are correct, this is a semi-common question when upgrading to 7.x.  Here's where it was last asked: https://groups.google.com/g/dspace-tech/c/cLFoNivftB4/m/8bF59GzzBwAJ )

Tim

Night Librarian

Aug 25, 2023, 11:29:37 AM8/25/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you, Tim!

I understand now.  And DSpace will continue to show "Permanent URI for this community" as https://hdl.handle.net/[prefix]/[suffix] on the item's page, so the users should just use this URI to share information about the item, as opposed to the URL from the browser's address bar, right?

DSpace Technical Support

Aug 25, 2023, 11:51:25 AM8/25/23
to DSpace Technical Support
Correct, DSpace still does display "https://hdl.handle.net" style URLs on Community/Collection/Item pages if you have DSpace configured to use Handles.  So Handles still work in the same manner. It's just that you'll no longer see those "/handle" URLs in the browser's address bar.

Tim