File Assest Content Types - File & Image

Alex

Aug 31, 2021, 5:54:12 PM8/31/21
to dotCMS User Group
Hello, everyone!

I have been poking the demo for a while and noticed that it is set so that if an image is uploaded it is created as a contentlet of the content type Image and if a file is uploaded it is created as a contentlet of the content type file.

I tried to do the same on my dotCMS instance, which is a descendent of 1.9 running the lastest version, but it does not work. No matter if I upload an image or a pdf file, they all get added as a contentlet of the File content type, even if there is an Image content type.

Is there something I need to tweak in dotCMS to set the behavior to emulate the demo?

Thanks,

Alex

jonathan...@dotcms.com

Sep 7, 2021, 12:32:02 AM9/7/21
to dotCMS User Group
maybe you are talking about dotAsset, if it is the case you can take a look at:

For dotAsset there are a field variables to accept (and automatically assign) asset type by content type.

Best,

Alex

Sep 8, 2021, 8:24:25 PM9/8/21
to dotCMS User Group
Dear Jonathan:

I thank you for the tip.  That is what I was looking for. Checking the demo it seems like the File and Image (File Asset Types) can also be configured with variables the same way as dotAsset files and it works.

Now, if I configure a file Asset type to store all images, what will happen with the images that are already associated with another content type? Will they get migrated to the file asset type that is configured to store only images?  Or, will it apply only to freshly new images that I upload?

Regards,

Alex

jonathan...@dotcms.com

Sep 11, 2021, 2:31:56 PM9/11/21
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Alex,

DotAsset is not the same of fileAsset.

When you drag and drop an asset to the content search, it will be consider a dotAsset instead of a file asset.
Now, contents associated to another content type still being associated to this content type, you have to do a transform or migration from one to another.

Lex Medeiros

Sep 12, 2021, 7:38:06 PM9/12/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Jonathan!  It is all clear now!

--
http://dotcms.com - Open Source Java Content Management

Nathan Keiter

Sep 13, 2021, 9:18:45 AM9/13/21
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that was really annoying to the community.

"Look we added drag & drop functionality!" (Fine print: "It only works with this brand new content type we created in this release.")

So legacy customers basically can't use it without re-architecting their entire web site.

Nathan I. Keiter | Lead Network Applications Programmer
Gettysburg College | Information Technology | DataSystems
Campus Box 2453 | 300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: 717.337.6993
https://www.gettysburg.edu<https://www.gettysburg.edu/>
________________________________

https://dotcms.com/docs/latest/file-assets-and-dotassets<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fdotcms.com%2fdocs%2flatest%2ffile-assets-and-dotassets&c=E,1,VTU-4vdl63oaJoTBFitPs9cs7Wnijxo1jJVLdvBAFeoIhXbhVnhYFc1I6YrTDwISQYoyrOaflq3AAm480oUfWavOh8KUqe5nCR-pXyG7&typo=1>

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 3:54:12 PM UTC-6 Alex wrote:
Hello, everyone!

I have been poking the demo for a while and noticed that it is set so that if an image is uploaded it is created as a contentlet of the content type Image and if a file is uploaded it is created as a contentlet of the content type file.

I tried to do the same on my dotCMS instance, which is a descendent of 1.9 running the lastest version, but it does not work. No matter if I upload an image or a pdf file, they all get added as a contentlet of the File content type, even if there is an Image content type.

Is there something I need to tweak in dotCMS to set the behavior to emulate the demo?

Thanks,

Alex

--
http://dotcms.com<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fdotcms.com&c=E,1,kIAaWJdmGLvKqx1WyngZWENhjT7RxMfiWBEmvhU_eSz7C5yfFtYdgj-Dc9hojkNMKMYaymncnkcWyznKTl78euzOnBe7kHz6QKUa00AatoypEjlKGIJM&typo=1> - Open Source Java Content Management
---

--
http://dotcms.com<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fdotcms.com&c=E,1,aDxIMmusrj4iK4Ufn3FMEnjjW_Wvr5oyLGc9FBnxkPqxAejmgKOUsWfH-N6N0FdWa-T9UV6o4mCw3X9s8Gm1ABgWXoNxXhyZzQTF5rGB6ekln0NZpd1W&typo=1> - Open Source Java Content Management
---