Can't Install on Windows 8.1

Malik Rumi

Dec 24, 2013, 8:35:23 AM12/24/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello. This is my first post. The attached Word document tracks everything I have done this morning to get this to work.

Your insights, guidance, and assistance is greatly appreciated.
first django help.docx

Timothy W. Cook

Dec 24, 2013, 9:04:08 AM12/24/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Since it appears that you are not too familiar with Python, this may help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_W02OwHa38

Using a virtual environment and pip will a long way to solving many of your issues.   It is considered best practice 'for a reason'.

https://zignar.net/2012/06/17/install-python-on-windows/

Then, install django and other requirements inside your virtualenv.

HTH,
Tim

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Malik Rumi <malik....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello. This is my first post. The attached Word document tracks everything I have done this morning to get this to work.

Your insights, guidance, and assistance is greatly appreciated.

MLHIM VIP Signup: http://goo.gl/22B0U
Timothy Cook, MSc           +55 21 94711995
MLHIM http://www.mlhim.org
Like Us on FB: https://www.facebook.com/mlhim2
Circle us on G+: http://goo.gl/44EV5
Google Scholar: http://goo.gl/MMZ1o

Malik Rumi

Dec 24, 2013, 9:56:29 AM12/24/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. One more question before I dive in: I already have python installed. Are you suggesting I remove it and start over?

Tom Lockhart

Dec 24, 2013, 10:15:07 AM12/24/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 2013-12-24, at 6:56 AM, Malik Rumi <malik....@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you. One more question before I dive in: I already have python installed. Are you suggesting I remove it and start over?

No. What you will find is that virtualenv will pick up whatever python it finds and package it in a new self-contained area. At that point you will have full control over what additional things get installed. But it needs a python installation somewhere else to get started.

If you have put a bunch of packages into your native python installation and are not sure what you have, you may want to re-install just to get a clean basic installation. But I haven't had to do that and would not bother unless you see other issues.

hth

                    - Tom

Tom Lockhart

Semantic Law

Dec 24, 2013, 12:48:22 PM12/24/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Boy, the speedy responses on this thread are great! I can't wait to get home from work so I can put this advice into practice. And now you know what I want for Christmas 😄 - a working installation of django and python to play with.

Dec 25, 2013, 11:20:46 AM12/25/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, everything went smoothly and beautifully as promised. I got successful install messages for pip, distribute, virtualenv and django. So first, thank you both very much.

However, I seem to be stuck again. I am not sure how to get from my new virtualenv to django, and windows seems just as confused. When I tried startproject, windows suddenly wanted to know if I wanted to keep using python to open .py files, or use notepad or some other program? I said python, and then it hiccuped, like it was restarting Explorer, and the command line went back to the prompt with no evidence it executed the startproject command. I looked in the directory, but saw nothing to indicate there was a project started. Of course, never having worked with either django or virtualenv before, I could have missed it. So I tried again.

As before, a dialog window opened asking me what program I wanted to use. While I was taking a screenshot to save for these notes, the dialog went away and the cmd line reported back that access was denied.

Then I tried get_version and was told there was no module named django, even though just a few lines earlier I was told django was successfully installed.

Here is that last portion from my command line window:

C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>project_sl1\Scripts\activate

(project_sl1) C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>pip install django

Downloading/unpacking django

  Downloading Django-1.6.1.tar.gz (6.6MB): 6.6MB downloaded

  Running setup.py egg_info for package django

    warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found

under dir

ectory '*'

    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.py[co]' found

under direct

ory '*'

Installing collected packages: django

  Running setup.py install for django

    warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found

under dir

ectory '*'

    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.py[co]' found

under direct

ory '*'

Successfully installed django

Cleaning up...

(project_sl1) C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>django-admin.py

startproject

 project_sl1

(project_sl1) C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>django-admin.py

startproject

 project_sl1

Access is denied.

(project_sl1) C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>

Just to be clear, I do want to get past this but I also want to understand what is going on, so if you can do both, that would be great. Do I need to change directories? Try opening a django project thrui the django gui? Where / how would I do that? Everything I have done so far has been thru the windows command line.

Thanx.
- -

Tom Lockhart

Timothy W. Cook

Dec 25, 2013, 4:15:21 PM12/25/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
It has been 4 hours so just so you don't think you are being ignored.  :-)

Basically, this is why I haven't used Windows since Win98.  It wants to take control of everything and guess at what I want.  I wish you luck in solving your Windows issues.

It is okay for end-user apps like running a browser but I would never use it for development.  I know that there are pepople here taht do and maybe they can help.

Cheers,
Tim

Mike Dewhirst

Dec 25, 2013, 4:38:00 PM12/25/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 26/12/2013 3:20am, Malik Rumi wrote:
> Ok, everything went smoothly and beautifully as promised. I got
> successful install messages for pip, distribute, virtualenv and django.
> So first, thank you both very much.
>
> However, I seem to be stuck again. I am not sure how to get from my new
> virtualenv to django, and windows seems just as confused. When I tried
> startproject, windows suddenly wanted to know if I wanted to keep using
> python to open .py files, or use notepad or some other program? I said
> python, and then it hiccuped, like it was restarting Explorer, and the
> command line went back to the prompt with no evidence it executed the
> startproject command. I looked in the directory, but saw nothing to
> indicate there was a project started. Of course, never having worked
> with either django or virtualenv before,

I use Windows 7 (and XP) and have not looked at Windows 8.

Windows 7 is designed for end-user operations rather than development.
If you are developing, Microsoft expects you will be using Visual Studio
or a competing IDE which respects the location choices made by VS.

The C:\Program files\ directory is "protected". I'm not sure what that
means other than end-users seeing the dialog boxes you report.

I installed Python outside C:\Program files. I created a C:\usr\bin for
that. Doing so solves the "protected" problem. My first recommendation
is to re-install Python where you can see it.

Secondly, create your own "home" directory and avoid having anything to
do with "My documents" for development. You can put shortcuts into "My
documents" which will take you to whatever directories take your fancy.

The objective is to stop Windows trying to help you.

Thirdly, while Virtualenv is brilliant and solves many problems, they
are future problems. On Windows, you cannot use VirtualenvWrapper
because no-one has ported it to Windows. VirtualenvWrapper smoothes out
all the Virtualenv drudgery and on Linux makes it a no-brainer. Just
install it and start using it from the beginning as you undoubtedly
would in future. So my recommendation is to avoid Virtualenv while you
are a beginner and plan to implement it when you need it.

My fourth recommendation is to acquire a Linux development machine and
plan to relocate development to it as soon as you need Virtualenv.

hth

Mike

I could have missed it. So I
> [...]
>
> / project_sl1/
>
> /Access is denied./
>
> /
> /
>
> /(project_sl1) C:\Program Files\Ampps\python\Scripts>/
>
> Just to be clear, I do want to get past this but I also want to
> understand what is going on, so if you can do both, that would be great.
> Do I need to change directories? Try opening a django project thrui the
> django gui? Where / how would I do that? Everything I have done so far
> has been thru the windows command line.
>
> Thanx.
> - -
>
> On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:48:22 AM UTC-6, Malik Rumi wrote:
>
> Boy, the speedy responses on this thread are great! I can't wait to
> get home from work so I can put this advice into practice. And now
> you know what I want for Christmas 😄 - a working installation of

Felipe Bessa Coelho

Dec 25, 2013, 5:02:52 PM12/25/13
to Django users
2013/12/25 Malik Rumi <malik....@gmail.com>
Instead of trying to  execute django-admin.py directly, explicitly tell the prompt that you want to use python:

    python C:\Path\To\django-admin.py startproject project_sl1

If you have problems with that, try specifying the python interpreter directly as well:

    C:\Path\To\Virtualenv\Scripts\python.exe C:\Path\To\django-admin.py startproject project_sl1

Also, it might not be an issue right now, but for your own good, make sure everything related to your project (which includes: the Python installation, your virtualenv and the project itself) does not contain any spaces in the pathnames, it might not be an issue right now, but you'll be glad you did this later.

Malik Rumi

Jan 5, 2014, 7:57:34 AM1/5/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
This is just an update to all of you, and to anyone coming after me with similar problems. No, I did not get what I wanted for Christmas. It turns out distribute has been deprecated, and I should have gotten the "new" setuptools instead. It seems the brilliant minds behind distribute set up a 'fake' setuptools and deleted pkg_resources. I can't begin to understand all that. But my upgrade, like so many other things in this project, has failed. I posted to their mailing list so we'll see what happens there. I do not have Django or any other accessory up and running.

I did move my install to c:\Python27, and that allowed me to get PIL, which had failed before, but then GAE decided to insist I use a python25.dll, which of course caused errors. It seems this is triggered if the python install is in the default place. How stupid is that? anyway, I got a patch (not from Google) and my GAE is fine again. Nevertheless, all this has eaten up a lot of time.

When and if I ever get Django running I'll be back, but I don't expect to have any Windows problems anymore. Thanks.

Mike Dewhirst

Jan 6, 2014, 3:41:18 AM1/6/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Malik

I'm confused. What are you doing with GAE and Windows 8.1? Have you
given up Windows?

Also, I think you will fare better with Pillow rather than PIL. It seems
PIL is no longer being supported and Pillow has taken over.

Mike

Malik Rumi

Jan 15, 2014, 8:31:16 PM1/15/14
to django...@googlegroups.com