Easiest front end JavaScript framework to integrate with a Django backend?

Simon Connah

Nov 27, 2018, 3:21:32 PM11/27/18
to Django users
I'm in the process of building a website in Django and need to make a
specific part of my application dynamic. Because of that I'd like to use
a JavaScript frontend framework to build this portion of the site.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for which JavaScript
framework I should use that integrates well with a Django backend?

If anyone is curious I am working on an auction style website.

Thank you for any help.

Alfredo Sumague

Nov 27, 2018, 8:13:28 PM11/27/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
you can use AngularJS framework with Django.

goodluck,
Alfred

Sir Robert James Patterson

Nov 27, 2018, 9:04:02 PM11/27/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

What Alfred said . . . . .and than some 😉

https://django-angular.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andréas Kühne

Nov 28, 2018, 12:48:13 AM11/28/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
I think this is more of a preference for yourself.

I am using Angular with our Django Rest Framework backend. Which is a nice choice for our current purpose.

Vue.js is also a good choice if you only want a simple frontend with only certain functionality. Of course another choice could be React.

The only one I wouldn't use in new development would be AngularJS, the reason for that is that it's a legacy framework nowadays, without active development by the developer.

A final way to do it would be to use jquery of course - as long as it's only minor parts that need to be updated?

Regards,

Andréas

Thanh Tuyền Huỳnh

Nov 28, 2018, 8:06:21 AM11/28/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

You could refer Vuejs.

Vào 03:20 T.4, 28 Th11 2018 Simon Connah <scopen...@gmail.com> đã viết:

Joel Mathew

Nov 28, 2018, 8:20:51 AM11/28/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Please provide more useful information that merely suggesting the name of a framework. Please say why you feel this framework is better for working with django.
Sincerely yours,

 Joel G Mathew

Jason

Nov 28, 2018, 9:06:54 AM11/28/18
to Django users
Its really personal preference at times, especially for personal projects.  That said, when it comes to frameworks like angular, react, vue, picking one is like picking a version control solution.

Joel Mathew

Nov 28, 2018, 9:29:40 AM11/28/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking a lot about the most painless way of learning a javascript framework. My project is almost complete, and so far everything has been written in javascript using jquery. But for what I have planned next, a framework would be immensely helpful. I just wish it was as easy as learning python and django!

Sincerely yours,

 Joel G Mathew

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 at 19:37, Jason <jjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Its really personal preference at times, especially for personal projects.  That said, when it comes to frameworks like angular, react, vue, picking one is like picking a version control solution.

Andréas Kühne

Nov 28, 2018, 1:50:48 PM11/28/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
The problem is it isn't easy to recommend a javascript framework because there are so many and all have different pros and cons. Another thing is that they are also very subjective in what you need / want. Django itself isn't biased towards one or the other. Also communicating with django itself would however be simplified if you use Django Rest Framework alongside the current solution you have.

So recommending one isn't as easy as saying how to use a template in django itself :-)

Regards,

Andréas

Gerson David Vizquel Alemán

Nov 29, 2018, 1:45:26 PM11/29/18
to Django users
You can use vuejs is... a pure love JavaScript framework. Take a look at this: https://2018.stateofjs.com/front-end-frameworks/overview/

Joel Mathew

Nov 29, 2018, 1:56:02 PM11/29/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
I didnt see anyone recommending React. Is there any aspect that makes it difficult to use with django?

Jason

Nov 29, 2018, 2:08:40 PM11/29/18
to Django users
react is like flask, whereas angular is like django as far as what's included in the framework from the start.

as long as you have an api, doesn't matter what you use for the frontend whether it be straight JS to angular/vue/react.  the question is the understanding of the separation of concerns and how you structure your project.

kennedy kay

Nov 29, 2018, 2:24:52 PM11/29/18
to Django users
For me personally I would recommend AngularJS. Not just because it easy to integrate with Django but because you can also create mobile applications on the fly.

Jani Tiainen

Nov 29, 2018, 3:17:40 PM11/29/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Also there exist ExtJS, Dojo Toolkit and at least Svelte which I've tried...

kennedy kay <kenne...@gmail.com> kirjoitti to 29. marrask. 2018 klo 21.25:
For me personally I would recommend AngularJS. Not just because it easy to integrate with Django but because you can also create mobile applications on the fly.

Benjamin SOULAS

Nov 29, 2018, 3:21:23 PM11/29/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Currently I integrate VueJS, it works like a charm, the documentation is awesome

Joel Mathew

Nov 29, 2018, 9:25:30 PM11/29/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
From the point of view of someone who hasnt been using frameworks but wants to, this is all very maddening. Guess I just have to pick one randomly between Vue and Angular!

Sincerely yours,

 Joel G Mathew

Jani Tiainen

Nov 30, 2018, 1:17:49 AM11/30/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes it's very hard to pick a framework (since there exists quite a bunch of different frameworks) if you don't know one. In most cases it's completely irrelevant for Django being as a backend service. So it's not harder or easier to use most of the frameworks. I personally have found openui5 being one of the "hard" libraries due it's way to use OData v4 for REST data binding and never used it beyond some small testing.

If you think fo a timeline, things get interesting. Vue has been around "only" for bit over 4 years.React is bit older dating a bit over 5 years. Dojo Toolkit which I have been using dates already over 13 years. ExtJS which I'm even currently using has a bit more fuzzy history but first versions did appear about 10 years ago. Svelte (which I'm currently evaluating) is one of the new comers dating first version just around two years old.

So yes, there are quite a diversity what you can use and it's not easy to pick one specially if you expect that your app will be maintained for unforeseeable future.

Jani Tiainen

- Well planned is half done, and a half done has been sufficient before...

William Vincent

Nov 30, 2018, 8:49:54 AM11/30/18
to Django users
Hi Joel,

Your view is correct. I wrote a book on Django APIs (https://restapiswithdjango.com) and struggled with this same issue. The answer is to just pick one (Vue, React, Angular are the big 3 right now) based either on a whim or on whichever seems to have more jobs available. Probably that would mean React at the moment.

You've probably also heard that you should just learn JavaScript at an expert level first before any framework. Also true but maddening. My advice would be to pick a basic project and implement it with all 3 and see which you like best. For a React example, see here: https://wsvincent.com/django-rest-framework-react-tutorial/.

But again, just pick one and move on. JavaScript frameworks come and go. Fortunately Django does not as much.

-William

kennedy kay

Nov 30, 2018, 9:02:16 AM11/30/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
Valid point you made there vincent.
Javascript libraries come and leave but django remains the same :)

Best best advise would be to just learn javascript first and every other library becomes
easy-peasy. ;)

Kind regards,
E.I Kenneth
[Python developer/Machine Learner]