Django 3.0 Release Notes - ASGI

Josh Smeaton

Oct 14, 2019, 8:45:06 PM10/14/19
A co-worker just linked me to https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/releases/3.0/#asgi-support and asked me (basically) if we can start doing all kinds of async work in one of our projects. Unfortunately, I didn't really know how to answer.

Preface: I haven't followed the ASGI plan very closely (I read the DEP and have a vague understanding of the vision).

It's my understanding that there's only very limited support for ASGI, and most features of Django won't work properly when running under ASGI. But that's not clear from reading the release notes or the deploy on ASGI section of the docs. Should we have a section in the docs that show what is and is not supported, along with examples?

It'd be good to have a spot in the docs to point to that shows what is in and out of scope for each milestone.

Thoughts?

Markus Holtermann

Oct 14, 2019, 11:14:30 PM10/14/19
to Django developers
Good point, Josh.

I think we should either add an "experimental" note to the ASGI notes or introduce an "Experimental changes" section (I'm open to other naming suggestions)

/Markus
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/9b11ecd8-997f-4edc-a627-5523da611a55%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/9b11ecd8-997f-4edc-a627-5523da611a55%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Andrew Godwin

Oct 15, 2019, 12:15:46 AM10/15/19
I agree - we need to communicate that ASGI support does not mean you can start writing async def views. I think we should put a big disclaimer to that effect next to it in the release notes and say it should be coming next release.

Andrew

Josh Smeaton