Permission to use some Django material ?

Stan

Oct 3, 2013, 4:28:58 AM10/3/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am working on a small app providing Ajax search for a ModelChoiceFieldLike in addition to an admin-like related lookup (pop up to changelist). Is it possible for me to embed the magnifier image from admin statics ? (static/admin/img/selector-search.gif)

Thanks.

Stanislas.

Russell Keith-Magee

Oct 3, 2013, 5:02:04 AM10/3/13
to Django Developers
Hi Stanislas,

Django is licensed under the terms of the BSD license. This means you can use any of Django's source code -- including images -- for whatever purpose, commercial or otherwise, as long as whatever you use is suitably attributed, and you don't make any claims that what you've done is endorsed by Django or it's contributors.

The license text itself is quite easy to read:

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Stan

Oct 3, 2013, 5:13:03 AM10/3/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Russ,

Do you know if there is a best way to "suitably attribute" images ? Maybe a text file beside REAME.txt / LICENCE.txt ?

Cheers,

Stanislas

Tom Christie

Oct 3, 2013, 5:17:49 AM10/3/13
to django-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stan,

I would simply include some text in the license noting that some images are taken from the Django source and their usage is subject to it's license, with a link to the Django license.  I'm sure that'd be plenty sufficient attribution.

All the best,

  Tom

Stan

Oct 3, 2013, 7:06:41 AM10/3/13

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:17:49 AM UTC+2, Tom Christie wrote:
Hi Stan,

I would simply include some text in the license noting that some images are taken from the Django source and their usage is subject to it's license, with a link to the Django license.  I'm sure that'd be plenty sufficient attribution.

Sounds like a decent solution. Many thanks.

Stanislas.