Extending the checks for related-name clashes

61 görüntüleme
İlk okunmamış mesaja atla

Shai Berger

okunmadı,
6 Eyl 2020 06:32:086.09.2020
alıcı Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
Hi all,

When you define a related field on a model -- a ForeignKey etc -- it
usually adds its related-name as a backwards-accessor on the related
model. These related names are checked for clashes against other fields
and other related-names. But they are not checked for clashes against
other attributes of the remote model, like methods and properties.

A clash with another field (or accessor) is considered an error. I
think a clash with a property should be at least a warning. Currently
it is accepted silently (and AFAICT, the related-name takes
precedence, that is, the property is effectively deleted).

Does anybody think this is the desired behavior?

Thanks,
Shai.

Adam Johnson

okunmadı,
6 Eyl 2020 07:02:046.09.2020
alıcı django-d...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be acceptable to make related name clashes a check Error. I'm guessing you couldn't find any justification for why the check doesn't currently do this?

Adam

Shai Berger

okunmadı,
6 Eyl 2020 08:54:566.09.2020
alıcı django-d...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 12:01:34 +0100
Adam Johnson <m...@adamj.eu> wrote:

> I think it would be acceptable to make related name clashes a check
> Error. I'm guessing you couldn't find any justification for why the
> check doesn't currently do this?

I didn't find any, though I didn't look too hard.

On the other hand, I found that the behavior changes depending on the
target model being a proxy model (or rather, on the model defining the
property being a proxy model).

That is, with

class A(models.Model):
@property
def related(self):
return 15

class B(models.Model):
a = models.ForeignKey(A, related_name='related',
on_delete=models.CASCADE)

class C(A):
class Meta:
proxy = True

@property
def pro_related(self):
return 17

class D(models.Model):
c = models.ForeignKey(C, related_name='pro_related',
on_delete=models.CASCADE)

For instances a and c of A and C respectively,
a.related is a RelatedManager
c.pro_related is 17

This happens because reverse-accessors are promoted to the concrete
model -- the accessor attribute is set on A, which means it overrides
whatever was defined on A, but can be overridden by A's subclasses.

I believe the technical term of this is "a mess".

Shai.

Adam Johnson

okunmadı,
7 Eyl 2020 05:36:087.09.2020
alıcı django-d...@googlegroups.com
I believe the technical term of this is "a mess".

Looks like it!

I can't think of any reason why this inconsistency would be desirable. Adding more checks is normally fine since they can be disabled by users who want/rely on the behaviour.

Adam
Tümünü yanıtla
Yazarı yanıtla
Yönlendir