Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Daniele Procida

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 12:08:4316.06.14
an Django Developers
"Ready For Check-in" appears in the docs once; "Ready for Checkin" appears five times, and on Trac.

Can we change it universally to "Ready for check-in"? Or better "Ready for core team review"?

What's wrong with "checkin":

* it's incorrect
* I've more than once read it and imagined it must be a mispelling of "checking"
* it looks like it might be the name of a town in the Balkans

But also it's not immediately obvious what "checkin" (or indeed "check-in") means; it sounds like it might involve formally accepting something into the system, and so I'd actually prefer something like "Ready for core team review".

Daniele

Tim Graham

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 13:06:2216.06.14
an django-d...@googlegroups.com
+1 to "check-in"

Greg Chapple

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 13:13:1716.06.14
an django-d...@googlegroups.com

Would "Ready for merge" not be a more appropriate term? To me, check-in is a term I would associate with SVN.

- Greg

Shai Berger

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 13:21:4116.06.14
On Monday 16 June 2014 20:09:13 Greg Chapple wrote:
> Would "Ready for merge" not be a more appropriate term? To me, check-in is
> a term I would associate with SVN.

Yes, except that RFM sounds more like "Read Forgotten Manual" :)

Shai.

Marc Tamlyn

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 19:15:0316.06.14
an django-d...@googlegroups.com

If check in is SVN how about RFC meaning ready for commit?

Russell Keith-Magee

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 20:30:4116.06.14
an Django Developers

Daniele Procida

ungelesen,
16.06.2014, 22:54:4416.06.14
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014, Greg Chapple <gregch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Would "Ready for merge" not be a more appropriate term?

Well no - because it isn't ready for merge. It may well be far from ready. Ironically "ready for checking" is closer to the intended meaning.

Daniele

Josh Smeaton

ungelesen,
17.06.2014, 00:14:2417.06.14
an django-d...@googlegroups.com
I see what you're saying Daniele, I had to ask about the terminology only a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I can provide some clarity.

Ready For Check-in means that someone other than the author has reviewed the patch and believes it is ready to be merged. However, the patch must also be reviewed by a core team member before it can be merged. So really, you need context for the Ready For Check-in status. If a core contributor marked it as such, it really is ready to be merged. Otherwise, it still needs reviewing.

If a core contributor believes a patch can be merged though, they could just push the big green button. I *think* the status is only really useful for signalling to the core team that the patch should be reviewed. Even though the name is somewhat confusing, I don't think there is a need to change it. The person changing the status to RFC believes the patch is ready, but a core member can change it back after review. The name should be consistent though.

Josh

Robert Grant

ungelesen,
11.08.2014, 07:58:5111.08.14
an django-d...@googlegroups.com
Any reason not to rename it to "Ready for merge"? Might as well make it match its explanation; then you don't need the explanation :)
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten