django-classy-tags and django-sekizai update

Jonas Obrist

Aug 29, 2016, 10:14:15 PM8/29/16
to django CMS developers
Hi everyone,

Over the weekend at PyCon Malaysia I've updated django-classy-tags and django-sekizai to 0.8.0 and 0.10.0 respectively.

Both releases only changed Python/Django compatibility.

Both now support:

- Python 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 (dropped 2.6)
- Django 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 (Added 1.10)

Hopefully this doesn't break everything (as it tends to do :D).

I also tried to update django-better-test to 1.10 (and I got it to support it), but travis-ci is being uncooperative so I had to delay the release.

Jonas

Angelo Dini

Aug 30, 2016, 3:42:21 AM8/30/16
to django CMS developers
Awesome job man!

Iacopo Spalletti

Aug 30, 2016, 4:51:02 AM8/30/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
(awesome)

Let me know so that I can re-enable it on the CMS

--
Iacopo Spalletti

Nephila s.a.s. - Firenze
Telefono: +39 055 5357189
Assistenza Tecnica: +39 055 3985730
http://nephi.la

signature.asc

Jonas Obrist

Aug 30, 2016, 5:19:18 AM8/30/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Iacopo, please note that I've not released a better-test update yet, so my Dj1.10 compat changes are on https://github.com/ojii/django-better-test/tree/dj-1.10. Good number of tests failing though I have yet to reproduce it https://travis-ci.org/ojii/django-better-test. I should have time again this weekend (PyHack event), and I'll try to set up a VM with restricted resources because I think my laptop might be too fast to reproduce the issues on "slow" travis-ci.

Jonas

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Iacopo Spalletti <i.spa...@nephila.it> wrote:
Il 30/08/2016 04:14, Jonas Obrist ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the weekend at PyCon Malaysia I've updated django-classy-tags and
> django-sekizai to 0.8.0 and 0.10.0 respectively.
>
> Both releases only changed Python/Django compatibility.
>
> Both now support:
>
> - Python 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 (dropped 2.6)
> - Django 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 (Added 1.10)
>
> Hopefully this doesn't break everything (as it tends to do :D).
>
> I also tried to update django-better-test to 1.10 (and I got it to
> support it), but travis-ci is being uncooperative so I had to delay the
> release.

(awesome)

Let me know so that I can re-enable it on the CMS

> Jonas
>
> --
> Message URL: *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in the website at
> "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id>
> Groups "django CMS developers" group.

> To view this discussion on the web, visit *MailScanner has detected
> definite fraud in the website at "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust
> this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/108e16c6-2e65-4cfc-9063-2214043fdd5e%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/108e16c6-2e65-4cfc-9063-2214043fdd5e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> For more options, visit *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in the
> website at "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

--
Iacopo Spalletti

Nephila s.a.s. - Firenze
Telefono: +39 055 5357189
Assistenza Tecnica: +39 055 3985730
http://nephi.la

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "django CMS developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/e25c3b39-a71a-6cdd-fc34-62a47a800e9e%40nephila.it.

Iacopo Spalletti

Aug 30, 2016, 8:55:47 AM8/30/16
Il 30/08/2016 11:19, Jonas Obrist ha scritto:
> Iacopo, please note that I've not released a better-test update yet, so
> my Dj1.10 compat changes are
> on https://github.com/ojii/django-better-test/tree/dj-1.10. Good number
> of tests failing though I have yet to reproduce
> it https://travis-ci.org/ojii/django-better-test. I should have time
> again this weekend (PyHack event), and I'll try to set up a VM with
> restricted resources because I think my laptop might be too fast to
> reproduce the issues on "slow" travis-ci.

yeah, sorry, I meant: let me know when you will release it so that I can
re-enable it in the CMS

> [...]
> For more options, visit *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in
> the website at "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> Message URL: *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in the website at
> "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id>
> Groups "django CMS developers" group.
> an email to django-cms-devel...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:django-cms-devel...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit *MailScanner has detected
> definite fraud in the website at "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust
signature.asc

Jonas Obrist

Sep 2, 2016, 2:34:38 AM9/2/16
to django CMS developers
Update: I am able to "reproduce" the test issues on my under-powered macbook air when simultaneously compiling some stuff (thus pegging the CPU at 100% usage). It's still non-deterministic and really odd, but at least I now sometimes get failing tests locally. The funny thing: It loses results (sub-tests aren't failing/succeeding unexpectedly, their result simply vanishes...).

Should anyone have ideas as to why high CPU usage breaks it, I'd love to hear it.

Jonas Obrist

Sep 2, 2016, 4:45:47 AM9/2/16
to django CMS developers
Managed to get the tests to work reliably (on Py 3.4 and higher). See https://github.com/ojii/django-better-test/pull/9

But had to remove Django 1.6 support (don't think too many people will get upset about this) and Py 2.7/3.3 are now "unstable". Without going to great lengths, I don't think I can fix that and I don't want to was too much time on ancient Python versions...

Iacopo, do you think this is good enough? Did you see issues in django CMS tests (py2) with tests being "unstable" (in the current version)?

Jonas

czpython

Sep 2, 2016, 8:32:33 AM9/2/16
to django CMS developers
Hey Jonas,

Thanks for the update.
Just to clarify, when you say "unstable", do you mean random failing tests? or just unsupported versions?

Jonas Obrist

Sep 2, 2016, 9:38:34 AM9/2/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Potentially randomly failing tests on low performance machines due to unreliable multiprocessing. Though these issues seem to primarily manifest when doing bad things (leaking tests) our running in parallel mode with more processes than cores.

I had to give up trying to get the internal tests to pass on Travis. On 3.4 and higher I can explicitly use the spawn strategy in multiprocessing which has slightly higher overhead but is more reliable. On lower versions you cannot choose the strategy, python picks it based on the os.

As long as you use --vanilla on Travis you're safe, and on Travis you can't use any of the advanced features anyway, so using that flag makes sense.

2016年9月2日金曜日、czpython<commonz...@gmail.com>さんは書きました:

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "django CMS developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/b5139003-fadf-4018-bd17-ae444736a0cb%40googlegroups.com.

Iacopo Spalletti

Sep 2, 2016, 11:29:55 PM9/2/16
Il 02/09/2016 10:45, Jonas Obrist ha scritto:
> Managed to get the tests to work reliably (on Py 3.4 and higher).
> See https://github.com/ojii/django-better-test/pull/9
>
> But had to remove Django 1.6 support (don't think too many people will
> get upset about this) and Py 2.7/3.3 are now "unstable". Without going
> to great lengths, I don't think I can fix that and I don't want to was
> too much time on ancient Python versions...
>
> Iacopo, do you think this is good enough? Did you see issues in django
> CMS tests (py2) with tests being "unstable" (in the current version)?

I don't think it will have any impact: I'll give it a try during the
weekend.
django CMS 3.3 and below can still use the old version of better-tests

> Jonas
>
> On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 11:14:15 AM UTC+9, Jonas Obrist wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the weekend at PyCon Malaysia I've updated django-classy-tags
> and django-sekizai to 0.8.0 and 0.10.0 respectively.
>
> Both releases only changed Python/Django compatibility.
>
> Both now support:
>
> - Python 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 (dropped 2.6)
> - Django 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 (Added 1.10)
>
> Hopefully this doesn't break everything (as it tends to do :D).
>
> I also tried to update django-better-test to 1.10 (and I got it to
> support it), but travis-ci is being uncooperative so I had to delay
> the release.
>
> Jonas
>
> --
> Message URL: *MailScanner has detected definite fraud in the website at
> "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id>
> Groups "django CMS developers" group.
> an email to django-cms-devel...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:django-cms-devel...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit *MailScanner has detected
> definite fraud in the website at "groups.google.com". Do /not/ trust
> this website:*
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/b095f127-0c7b-4d5c-82fa-88b71cdf54be%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-cms-developers/b095f127-0c7b-4d5c-82fa-88b71cdf54be%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
signature.asc

Jonas Obrist

Sep 3, 2016, 12:24:53 AM9/3/16
to django CMS developers
The old versions will suffer the same issues. This is not something newly introduced, but rather something fixed in 3.4 and above. Anyway, --vanilla should always work.

Iacopo Spalletti

Sep 3, 2016, 3:00:12 AM9/3/16
to django-cms...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification; I'd say that the cms did not experience any side effect so far, but I'll apply --vanilla anywya
Thanks!