Sequenced Carolina GFP plasmid

Avery louie

May 16, 2013, 2:27:33 AM5/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
For those of you wondering "what the heck is in that plasmid anyways", I had the pGREEN plasmid from Carolina sequenced with M13 forward with m13 reverse.

When BLAST-ed it comes up as: "Cloning vector pGFP, complete sequence"

here is the sequence:

GGGCGANTCGAGCTCGGTACCCGGGGNNCCGACGCGT
GGATCCTCAGTTGTACAGTTCATCCATGCCATGTGTAATCCCAGCAGCTG
TTACAAACTCAAGAAGGACCATGTGGTCTCTCTTTTCGTTGGGATCTTTC
GAAAGGGCAGATTGTGTGGACAGGTAATGGTTGTCTGGTAAAAGGACAGG
GCCATCGCCAATTGGAGTATTTTGTTGATAATGGTCTGCTAGTTGAACGC
TTCCATCTTCAATGTTGTGGCGGGTCTTGAAGTTCACTTTGATTCCATTC
TTTTGTTTGTCTGCCATGATGTATACATTGTGTGAGTTATAGTTGTATTC
CAATTTGTGTCCCAGAATGTTGCCATCTTCCTTGAAGTCAATACCTTTTA
ACTCGATTCTATTAACAAGGGTATCACCTTCAAACTTGACTTCAGCACGT
GTCTTGTAGTTGCCGTCATCTTTGAAGAAGATGGTCCTTTCCTGTACATA
ACCTTCGGGCATGGCACTCTTGAAAAAGTCATGCCGTTTCATATGATCCG
GGTATCTTGAAAAGCATTGAACACCATAGCACAGAGTAGTGACTAGTGTT
GGCCATGGAACAGGCAGTTTGCCAGTAGTGCAGATGAACTTCAGGGTAAG
TTTTCCGTATGTTGCATCACCTTCACCCTCTCCACTGACAGAGAACTTGT
GGCCGTTAACATCACCATCTAATTCAACAAGAATTGGGACAACTCCAGTG
AAGAGTTCTTCTCCTTTGCTAGCCATCTTTAGTCTAGAGTCGACCCTAGA
GCTTTTGTTCCCTTTAGTGAGGGTTAATTTCGAGCTTGGCGNAATCATGG
TCATAGCTGTTTCCTGNGTGAAATTGNTATNCGCTCACAATTNCANNCNA
CATNCGAGCCGGANNCATAAANTGNAAAGCCTGGGGNGCC

Attached are the forward and reverse sequences for three samples.  the ones that are 116060 should be forward reads and 116108 should be reverse.
22928_1_05_15_13-001_116060_00.TXT
22928_1_05_15_13-001_116108_00.TXT
22928_2_05_15_13-002_116060_00.TXT
22928_2_05_15_13-002_116108_00.TXT
22928_3_05_15_13-003_116060_00.TXT
22928_3_05_15_13-003_116108_00.TXT

Koeng

May 16, 2013, 9:40:25 PM5/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

I have been looking for this sequence for a long long time. Just in time for a class I am doing on monday with this plasmid, thanks a ton!

-Koeng

Koeng

May 16, 2013, 9:44:58 PM5/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Wait a second, I automatically annotated the sequence with some software I had.... and it has a lac operator..... I am confused

Avery louie

May 16, 2013, 9:57:55 PM5/16/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I imagine it might be in the pUC18 backbone, which has blue-white screening and therefore a (now broken) lac fragment?  I cant say for sure though, I just have those sequences.

--A

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/1216b042-87d0-437b-b9cb-8f14b323a844%40googlegroups.com?hl=en.

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

May 17, 2013, 4:18:35 AM5/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yea, huge kudos Averie! Thanks for sharing this. :)

Cathal Garvey (Phone)

May 17, 2013, 4:25:17 AM5/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
What's the sequence of the supposed LacO? It's possible it's a holdover from whatever plasmids were used to construct pGreen, but also possible it's just noise. LacO isn't so big that pseudo-lacO sites couldn't appear by chance..

Koeng

May 17, 2013, 11:06:41 AM5/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, cathal...@cathalgarvey.me
The software I have actually has this vector sequence xD

the lac operator sequence is TTGTGAGCGGATAACAA. Both this and pUC19 have this sequence. Strange that it doesn't work...

Looking at the sequence, I see the multiple cloning site before GFP. Also the GFP doesn't start where it should, it starts with the atg in the M13 reverse primer... CAGGAAACAGCTatgAC, which is in frame with GFP. So I am thinking that they may have meant for these sequences  to interfere with GFP, and then once you clone something the GFP can be expressed..... But it obviously didn't work out that way

This is a weirdo vector.

Jeswin

May 17, 2013, 3:22:01 PM5/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
so this is the whole plasmid sequenced? What did you guys use to
stitch it together into one sequence?
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio?hl=en.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/2b294a88-3f18-475d-b69e-c7e716e0c62a%40googlegroups.com?hl=en.

Avery louie

May 17, 2013, 3:41:33 PM5/17/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

This is just the bit with gap in it.

Tom Randall

May 23, 2013, 2:47:59 PM5/23/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com

Nice sequence. I also had sequenced pGreen a couple years ago. Our sequences agree except for a few mismatches at the 5 and 3' ends, probably due to bad sequence calls/quality.
Mine can be found here: http://www.roningenetics.org/Sequencing.html
Go to the bottom of the page under the heading "Sanger Sequencing". My consensus of the 4 chromatographs posted is the fasta file with the header "pGreen_consensus_seq" and at the very bottom there is an alignment of your sequence and mine. If you look through the patent for this (pdf on the website) the GFP insert is cloned into pBSSK, which is a blue/white vector, which should explain the lac sequence homology.
Tom

Maryam Saffarian

Sep 8, 2013, 12:56:38 AM9/8/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was wondering that sequence is for gfP or for gfp-lacZ? According to pGreen Carolina lab, mutant gfp fused to lacZ is around 600bp but the sequence above is 900bp. I am trying to design primers for the mutant gfp fused to lacZ.

Avery louie

Sep 8, 2013, 9:29:55 PM9/8/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Which sequence is 900 bp?  It has been a while and I never really looked into it.  That said I definitely trust the sequence I have over Carolinas sequence.

--A

Learn more at www.diybio.org

Matt Lawes

Sep 8, 2013, 9:39:02 PM9/8/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com, diyb...@diybio.eu, diybio...@googlegroups.com
Maryam,

The sequence is from flanking M13 priming sites on each side, so you have gfp or fused gfp plus some extra vector sequence.

Push through BLAST program at NCBI and you should see which part of sequrnce is gfp....