Biohacker Sci Fi Recommendations?

Biotech Ryan

Nov 4, 2013, 8:39:35 PM11/4/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just wondering if there was any hardcore Biohacker sci fi that you've read and would recommend? I love most hard sci fi but I've been looking specifically for hard biohacker sci fi, any suggestions?

Andrew Hessel

Nov 4, 2013, 8:45:17 PM11/4/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I just read Nexus and Crux by Ramez Naam, hard bionanotech, and totally recommended.
I also just finished Robopocalypse by Dan Wilson. Quite tasty, but no real biohacking other than a few cyborg devices.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/9187cb62-c055-47c1-bbda-dfa377cad7c1%40googlegroups.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Nov 4, 2013, 8:59:32 PM11/4/13
to diybio
I'm about 25% of the way through Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I
noticed she uses 'proteonome' which I assume to be proteome, there's
also mention of people splicing different animals together in their
spare time as a hobby, making a pet rakunk (racoon + skunk, docile and
doesn't have scent glands). Not sure how things are going to turn out
yet, but I'm reading it for a class I'm in, so it's good enough to
make it onto my syllabus I guess.
> "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/9187cb62-c055-47c1-bbda-dfa377cad7c1%40googlegroups.com.

-Nathan

leaking pen

Nov 5, 2013, 12:20:10 AM11/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Ferret Steinmetz had a short story about a guy that experiemented with mental implants.

Günther Mulder

Nov 5, 2013, 2:22:33 AM11/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't probably qualify as hard sci fi, but you may want to look at Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. And then there is that original biohacker thing, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (seriously, the book is worth a read).

Matthew Pocock

Nov 5, 2013, 7:05:43 AM11/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Embasytown by China Miéville has a strong organic tech strand. Rule 34 by Charles Stross has a synth-bio sub-plot.

Matthew

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/9187cb62-c055-47c1-bbda-dfa377cad7c1%40googlegroups.com.

Dr Matthew Pocock
Turing ate my hamster LTD

Integrative Bioinformatics Group, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University

skype: matthew.pocock
tel: (0191) 2566550

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Nov 5, 2013, 7:24:48 AM11/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
A friend just told me she is reading a book, Inferno, in which a mad scientist is doing DNA work and whiping out humanity.

I think, unfortunately, that is how "average Joe" sees biotech. And the media reflect that.

Will Canine

Nov 5, 2013, 10:28:58 AM11/5/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
If you havent read Paulo Bacigalupi's the Windup Girl, you have to. He does for bio-tech what William Gibson did for cyberspace with Neuromancer in 1984 -- it changed the way I think about biology as a political technology completely. And its a great story, won the Hugo and the Nebula awards, one of my all-time favorites. This is exactly what you are looking for.

More recommendations after that, but they are in a different league than the Windup Girl -- start there and lemme know how you like it :)

Paul Schroeer-Hannemann

Nov 6, 2013, 10:30:52 AM11/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to include some biohacking in the novel I'm writing for NaNoWriMo.  As in Parahuman characters hacking their own genomes.

leaking pen

Nov 6, 2013, 11:39:36 AM11/6/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
OOO OOOO, thank you for mentioning parahumans. parahumans.wordpress.org is a serial novel called Worm.  It just concluded after a year and a half of constant updates (haven't seen the final tally, but the author may have broken 2 million words)

there is a decent amount of biotech as superpowers/tinkers in labs in that one.  more hero fic, less sci fi, but an awesome read.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Biotech Ryan

Nov 7, 2013, 3:19:50 PM11/7/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
These are all amazing suggestions thank you Andrew, Nathan, Alexander, Gunther, Matthew, Andreas, Will and Paul. Sounds like there's some great hard biotech sci fi to read (and I need to educate myself on Para-humans) :)

Philipp Böing

Nov 9, 2013, 9:53:30 AM11/9/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Some short story collections which fit into this topic:
- Ribofunk by Paul Di Filippo is an excellent short story collection

- BioPunk edited by Ra Page is a short story anthology penned by different authors. The short stories were commissioned to be based on actual current research and authors were paired up with a scientist or ethicist that fact-checked the story and also provided a commentary. I found the stories of varying quality and relevance, but definitely an interesting concept.

Cheers,

Philipp

Mac Cowell

Nov 9, 2013, 1:10:47 PM11/9/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Roo'd by Joshua Klein. Cyberpunk meets diybio. Self-published, CC book. And better than some of the best authors in the same genre.

Mac

Brian Degger

Nov 10, 2013, 1:15:01 AM11/10/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Greg Egan also has biotech centered stories like chaff http://www.oocities.org/firstspeaker.geo/short/egan_greg.html#chaff

Greg Bear Darwins Radio too

Paul Schroeer-Hannemann

Nov 18, 2013, 3:53:50 PM11/18/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the webcomic Genocide Man, largely because it's not a very positive portrayal.  In the backstory open source biotechnology enabled various ideological groups to create designer plagues and super soldiers, wiping out most of the world's population.  The titular character is a rogue law enforcement agent whose job was to stop carriers of dangerous ideologies from committing genocide again, by killing them all first.  He has a portable lab the size of a large suitcase that can produce viruses tailored to only kill specific people or genelines (which I don't think is possible, though otherwise it's pretty "hard").

Yes, it's pretty hypocritical of them.  Which is why the main character "retired".

Biotech Ryan

Nov 25, 2013, 6:49:40 PM11/25/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all these are some great suggestions! If you have any more keep them coming, I'll pull together a list and share them with everyone shortly as I compile!

Simon Rose

Nov 30, 2013, 1:01:06 PM11/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Try  some of Greg Egan's short stories (can't remember which ones exactly). A lot of them are molecular biology- based.

Andrew Hessel

Nov 30, 2013, 7:37:01 PM11/30/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
One if my all time favorite short stories about bio hacking is Gene Wars, found in its entirety at this link.

http://www.omegacom.demon.co.uk/gene.htm

Sent from my neural interface.
Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Simon Rose

Dec 7, 2013, 12:32:55 PM12/7/13
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes the one I particularly like is "Reasons To Be Cheerful" by Greg Egan

Ricardy Ricot

Jan 6, 2014, 1:30:26 AM1/6/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Nexus and Crux by Ramez Naam pop into my mind. You could also try the Posthuman series by David Simpson. Really good

Mike Horwath

Jan 10, 2014, 11:28:04 AM1/10/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Great list here, looking forward to reading more of these!  I'm about halfway through Roo'd now--enjoying it (and it's free!), though it's kinda heavy on the cyber-hack details and low on the bio-hack.

A lot of Michal Crighton's excellent work has bio themes.  Jurassic Park and Next come to mind, both deal with bioengineering escaping control.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer is one of my favorite young adult novels.  Not "hard" SF, but it does feature a bioengineered intelligent blue monkey and some mutated detectives.

Mike

leaking pen

Jan 10, 2014, 2:09:14 PM1/10/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Mike, is that a monkey with a watch in his arm thats implanted and that he uses by pressing on his skin to make some lights light up?  If so, ive been looking for that FOREVER!

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Fernando Miranda

Jan 23, 2014, 5:24:12 PM1/23/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Healing factor.
Work on a healing factor.
Like Wolverine...

Matthew Pocock

Jan 25, 2014, 5:22:01 PM1/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Do you have authors for those 3 Fernando?

Brian Degger

Jan 25, 2014, 5:33:39 PM1/25/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Wolverine Google it... Low battery here.

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.