automated liquid delivery to a petri dish

Carlos Castellanos

Oct 1, 2015, 3:15:51 PM10/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey DIYBio-ers,

I am hoping you can offer advice for a project I am working on.

I need to deliver liquid nutrients to a culture of c. elegans nematodes via an Arduino-controlled syringe pump. This syringe pump part is actually done. What I need is some stable hardware to connect the tubing from the syringe (via a luer-locked dispensing needle or similar connector) to different areas of a petri dish. Perhaps something like a perfusion chamber systems like this one:
http://www.biosciencetools.com/catalog/Fitting_Kit.htm

I’ve also been looking at building a simple microfluidic chamber.

I also need to be able to monitor all this via a digital microscope, so it must be unobstructed for the top.

I have a rough set-up that I created for testing by simply drilling a small hole into the petri dish to put the dispensing needle through. But I said I need something more stable.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks
Carlos

Sebastian S Cocioba

Oct 1, 2015, 3:57:03 PM10/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
For microfluidics, check out the protocol I developed on the SVA-NYC iGEM 2015 wiki page.

http://2015.igem.org/Template:SVA-NYC/Microfluidics

Its still under construction but the protocol is solid and uses simple reagents and off the shelf (except for corona wand) components. MIT's nanomaker lecture series has a cool DIY plasma cleaning chamber but requires a two stage vacuum to maintain the plasma.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUemBZ0k5Q

Contact me if you need help! Best of luck!

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups DIYbio group. To post to this group, send email to diy...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/diybio?hl=en
> Learn more at www.diybio.org
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/8486CD83-D3BD-4020-8CE6-A7EB190BDBCE%40gmail.com.

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 1, 2015, 4:25:13 PM10/1/15
to diybio

On Oct 1, 2015 12:56 PM, "Sebastian S Cocioba" <scoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For microfluidics, check out the protocol I developed on the SVA-NYC iGEM 2015 wiki page.
>
> http://2015.igem.org/Template:SVA-NYC/Microfluidics

Very nice write-up. I think I will try it out, substituting the laser printer for a laser etched which I just got that has the correct exposure wavelength for the photoresist.

I found a bug in the write up... You say to user printer paper to inspect the mask... But you never say after to then print on transparency sheets (though they're listed in the reagents/BOM).

Sebastian S Cocioba

Oct 1, 2015, 4:51:16 PM10/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Oops, nice catch Nathan! We were scrambling for time so there are typos. Ill make sure to edit that once the wiki pages get thawed by iGEM HQ.

We doubled up the transparencies to increase the light blocking but you need to line up the masks perfectly on a lightbox if you do decide to use two masks per board...which takes some time and proper tongue angle (old engineering joke) but yes, do print the circuit either negative or positive depending on photoresist onto high temp overhead transparency film using a laser printer and then apply it to your photoresist-laminated board for exposure.

Sebastian S. Cocioba
CEO & Founder
New York Botanics, LLC

Learn more at www.diybio.org
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.

Brian Degger

Oct 1, 2015, 4:57:17 PM10/1/15
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Good luck with the IGEM.

Carlos Castellanos

Oct 1, 2015, 11:58:27 PM10/1/15
to DIYbio
Thanks. Looks like a great project. What I need is much simpler than what you have. I think I might look into molding my own pdms container with just a couple of holes and a shallow chamber in the center. Any advice or links to diy pdms molding would be appreciated!

Incidentally this is also for a new media art-science project. :-)

Best
-Carlos