mycovirus therapy

Louis Huang

Apr 1, 2014, 12:30:59 AM4/1/14
to Counterculturelabs, diy...@googlegroups.com
Citizen Scientists,

I have a question: From what I can tell, no one has used bacteriophage
filtration protocol on fungi. However fungi have there own viruses,
mycoviruses.

Is there a reason why there are so little/no publications on soil
collection to syringe filtration on mycoviruses to infect fungi?

Curious Regards,
Louis

Dakota Hamill

Apr 1, 2014, 9:05:25 AM4/1/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Counterculturelabs
I don't know, but I'm a big fan of fungi! Their secondary metabolism
is quite extraordinary, but filamentous fungi seem to be pretty low on
the totem pole of what's cool to study in biology. How many
Universities near where you live have a mycology department of PhD
Mycologist in the Bio Department? Very few and far between I'd say
unless in agricultural states (in the US). They are pretty
understudied.
> Groups "DIYbio" group.
> email to diybio+un...@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/diybio.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/228298650ecd80d70f1cb3157fccf117%40aegia.nu.

Louis Huang

Apr 2, 2014, 4:01:56 AM4/2/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Understudied, huh. Didn't know that...

Mega [Andreas Stuermer]

Apr 3, 2014, 5:29:25 PM4/3/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
The only thing I read about biotech in fungi was agrobacterium transfecting fungi (indeed, it does)

Dakota Hamill

Apr 4, 2014, 10:41:23 AM4/4/14
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I think they are amazing organisms and am actually curious as to why
they are not studied more, and why they are not used more in biotech
on a day to day basis. Perhaps because many things can already be
done in yeast so there is no need to bring multi-celled filamentous
fungi into the mix and re-design a whole new set of tools. If I
recall from a few papers I've read, they are the least "identified" of
all Eukaryotes.