Round 3053 BROLGA - call for voting

Tim B

Feb 25, 2020, 5:14:17 PM2/25/20
to Dixonary
We have a wonderful crop of no less than 15 definitions!

Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the
deadline, which is 1200 UTC (12 noon GMT) on Thursday 27th February. That should be 7 am on the US
East Coast and 4 am on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

1. [On.] a shield-maiden.
2. a Muscovite dance form.
3. a Russian fur hat with a visor.
4. an assembly of tribal elders in Pakistan.
5. [Roman history] a chariot drawn by two horses.
6. a spider monkey from the Amazonian rainforest.
7. [Rare Obs.] A loud noise or tumult; public outcry, scandal.
8. an umbrella with extra stays intended to prevent it blowing inside out.
9. a large dog sled with room for two passengers; The driver of such a dog sled.
10. a Tuscan variant of espadrille notable for its open-toed design and intricate knotwork about the
ankle.
11. an embroidered wedding shawl, traditionally of fine linen weave, once common in the Norwegian
countryside.
12. a small Bohemian bread roll made from wheat flour, water, yeast and salt, usually topped with
linseeds or sea salt
13. a large grey Australian crane which has an elaborate courtship display that involves leaping,
wing-flapping, and trumpeting.
14. a dog sport based obedience course where the dog advances through a variety of stations
responding only to hand signals.
15. [Perh. the native name.] A red or yellowish-red dyeing material, prepared from the pulp
surrounding the seeds of a tree (Bixa brellaga) belonging to the tropical regions of America.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Hugo Kornelis

Feb 25, 2020, 6:39:21 PM2/25/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

For reasons I won't even try to explain (because then I'd have to
understand them first), I'll go with the bread and the dog tricks:

12. a small Bohemian bread roll made from wheat flour, water, yeast and
salt, usually topped with linseeds or sea salt
14. a dog sport based obedience course where the dog advances through a
variety of stations responding only to hand signals.

Cheers,
Hugo

Johnb - co.uk

Feb 25, 2020, 6:44:43 PM2/25/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com

I'll go with #1 and #13 for no reason known to me

JohnnyB

Judy Madnick

Daniel B Widdis

Feb 25, 2020, 8:37:14 PM2/25/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll join the crowd with reasons they can't explain, reasons unknown to them, and no good reason, and choose 13 and 14.

Benj. Evans

Feb 25, 2020, 10:16:52 PM2/25/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
Ben Evans 2 and 3

France International/Mike Shefler

Feb 25, 2020, 11:27:34 PM2/25/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 5 and 9.

Tim Lodge

Feb 26, 2020, 6:58:40 AM2/26/20
to Dixonary
II'll try the sheild-maiden and the dog sled:  1 and 9.

1. [On.] a shield-maiden.

9. a large dog sled with room for two passengers; The driver of  such a dog sled.

--  Tim L

Stephen Dixon

Feb 26, 2020, 7:09:04 AM2/26/20
to Dixonary Group
Gimme the fur hat (#3) and the dog sled (#9).

#3 and #9

Stephen Dixon
email: steved...@gmail.com

“Wherever you are is the entry point”  - Kabir Das

Dave Cunningham

Feb 26, 2020, 8:58:40 AM2/26/20
to Dixonary
7 for being both rare and obsolete.  11  for not sounding remotely Norse.

Dave

Debbie

Feb 26, 2020, 1:09:48 PM2/26/20
to Dixonary
10 and 7 please

Ryan McGill

Feb 26, 2020, 7:37:39 PM2/26/20
to Dixonary
How about a large def with a large tally and a small def with a small tally?

9 & 12

9. a large dog sled with room for two passengers; The driver of  such a dog sled.

Tony Abell

Feb 26, 2020, 8:41:15 PM2/26/20
to Tim B

I'll take the laughable 3 and the dubious 13:

> 3. a Russian fur hat with a visor.

Efrem G Mallach

Feb 26, 2020, 9:09:00 PM2/26/20
to Dixonary
I'll vote for #9, because it's not quite as implausible as some of the others, and for #12, because it's the only one that doesn't end with a period (full stop to our British friends). Not much of a clue, but I have nothing else to go on!

Efrem

=======================

On Feb 25, 2020, at 5:13 PM, Tim B <dixo...@siam.co.uk> wrote:

We have a wonderful crop of no less than 15 definitions!

Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the deadline, which is 1200 UTC (12 noon GMT) on Thursday 27th February. That should be 7 am on the US East Coast and 4 am on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

9. a large dog sled with room for two passengers; The driver of  such a dog sled.

nancygoat

Feb 27, 2020, 12:55:13 AM2/27/20
to Dixonary
I'll take 4 and 7.