Round 3061 - HODMANDODS - call for votes

Tim B

Mar 29, 2020, 4:27:15 AM3/29/20
to Dixonary
Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the
deadline, which is 2000 UTC (9 pm BST) on Monday 30th March. That should be 4 pm EDT on the US East
Coast and 1 pm PDT on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

1. [Scots sl.] warts.
2. snails in their shells.
3. a state of nervous anxiety.
4. [Yorkshire dialect] workwear overalls.
5. [Shropshire Dial.] overshoes; galoshes.
6. leaves chewed or brewed in tea as a stimulant.
7. a collier’s tools, especially those used for cutting coal blocks.
8. insignia of rank carried or worn by a Cossack hodman (var., hetman) or chieftain.
9. plankton that congregate in multiple-species groups, apparently due to wave action.
10.[Old Finn] the snake that encircles the world and feeds on the sacred ash tree yggadrasil.
11. a drink similar to egg-nog, typically sweetened with sugar, flavoured with rum, brandy, orange
flower water, etc., and served warm.
12.articles of agreement between the captain of a vessel and the seamen on board, in respect to the
amount of wages, length of time for which they are shipping, etc.

Best wishes,
Tim Bourne.

Debbie

Mar 29, 2020, 8:15:42 AM3/29/20
to Dixonary
This isolation has me so under-stimulated that I forgot to send a definition into the dealah. That being said, I vote for 9, and, ten for its sheer creativity.

~Bending under the weight of His mercies~

Through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through Him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the Law of Moses (Acts 13:38-39)

Tim Lodge

Mar 29, 2020, 8:33:40 AM3/29/20
to Dixonary
I'll try 1 and 2.  I did read them all!

1. [Scots sl.] warts.

2. snails in their shells.

I hope you're all enjoying social isolation and that domestic harmony is being maintained!

-- Tim L

Judy Madnick

Mar 29, 2020, 9:35:10 AM3/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
4. [Yorkshire dialect] workwear overalls.
5. [Shropshire Dial.] overshoes; galoshes.

Judy Madnick
Albany, NY

France International/Mike Shefler

Mar 29, 2020, 10:58:27 AM3/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 4 and 8.

Efrem G Mallach

Mar 29, 2020, 3:10:32 PM3/29/20
to 'Efrem G Mallach' via Dixonary
I'll try 2 and 3, please.

Efrem

======================

On Mar 29, 2020, at 4:26 AM, Tim B <dixo...@siam.co.uk> wrote:

Please vote for TWO definitions, as a public forum message (in reply to this one), before the deadline, which is 2000 UTC (9 pm BST) on Monday 30th March. That should be 4 pm EDT on the US East Coast and 1 pm PDT on the West Coast.

New players are welcome, even if you didn't enter a definition this round. Don't look in a dictionary.

nancygoat

Mar 29, 2020, 5:27:04 PM3/29/20
to Dixonary
I like 2 and 5.  But hard to tell what is right.

Nancy

Daniel B Widdis

Mar 29, 2020, 5:37:56 PM3/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
5 and 7 please!

ALAN MALLACH

Mar 29, 2020, 8:56:21 PM3/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
I'll go with 4 and 7.
Alan

Shani Naylor

Mar 29, 2020, 11:32:06 PM3/29/20
to dixo...@googlegroups.com
3 probably sums up how many of us are feeling.
2 because I don't believe it.