make install fails with ld signal 9

vachanpo...@gmail.com

May 4, 2021, 2:45:30 AM5/4/21
to deal.II User Group
Dear all,

I am trying to do a new installation of dealii. `make install` exits while compiling libdeal_II.g.so with ld signal 9. I had a look at this question and noted that this might be due to RAM shortage, but my device has >2 gb RAM. The output of `free -h` is:
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          3.7Gi       652Mi       2.4Gi       116Mi       733Mi       2.7Gi
Swap:         2.0Gi       838Mi       1.2Gi

What can I do to solve this issue? Are there any fixes or is higher RAM is required?

Thanking in anticipation
Vachan

Bruno Turcksin

May 4, 2021, 8:24:57 AM5/4/21
to deal.II User Group
Vachan,

Unfortunately, I think that nowadays you need 3gb of RAM to compile deal.II. I think that the release build requires less RAM so you could compile the release version alone without the debug version and see if that fixes your problem.

Best,

Bruno

vachanpo...@gmail.com

May 5, 2021, 4:25:44 AM5/5/21
to deal.II User Group
Bruno,

As you suggested, I was able to successfully install the release version. Thanks!

Wells, David

May 8, 2021, 1:34:35 PM5/8/21
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vachan,

The debug version of the library on my mac requires about 3.8 GB of memory to link: if you are patient and willing to use all your swap space then you should be able to compile the library. I recommend trying:

1) close all other applications on your machine (if possible, try to boot directly to the command line)
2) if you can, compile deal.II with the bare minimum number of dependencies that you might want to use. Every dependency you can skip will save some memory.
3) make sure you are only compiling with a single processor (i.e., make -j1)

Best,
David Wells

May 9, 2021, 2:27:15 AM5/9/21
to deal.II User Group
David,

Thanks for suggesting a work-around. I see I am probably on the edge.

I already tried what you suggested in points 1 and 3. And the only additional packages that I am linking to are BLAS and LAPACK. I thought of linking them (even though I don't use) because I was using PETSc anyway.

For now, I have the release build and don't require a debug build. I will keep your suggestions in mind in case I plan to have a debug version.

Thanks again!