Errors in the "make install" step

Steve Garabedian

May 6, 2015, 8:13:52 PM5/6/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com
When trying to install DealII I get the following errors after the "make install" step:

Linking CXX shared library ../lib/libdeal_II.g.so
collect2: error: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]
make[2]: *** [lib/libdeal_II.g.so.8.2.1] Error 1
make[1]: *** [source/CMakeFiles/deal_II.g.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any idea what may be causing this problem(s)?
I do note that the ../lib/libdeal_II.g.so file doesn't exist, however, libdeal_II.so and libdeal_II.so.8.2.1 exist in lib folder.
I've no ideas about the problem with the second error.

Thanks
Steve

Timo Heister

May 6, 2015, 8:56:24 PM5/6/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com

You might be running out of RAM in the linker step. Run make install again and watch the memory usage using "top".

Steve Garabedian

May 8, 2015, 9:46:21 AM5/8/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com
OK, well it takes 24 hours for the "make install" step, and I've done it twice and failed each time, so I'm not going to repeat that. The computer has 548 megs of RAM, so that probably is the cause. In general, how much RAM is needed for the link step? Is there a work-around for this problem?

Thanks
Steve

Timo Heister

May 8, 2015, 9:57:52 AM5/8/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com
> The computer
> has 548 megs of RAM, so that probably is the cause. In general, how much RAM
> is needed for the link step? Is there a work-around for this problem?

Around 2GB is the minimum amount to make it work I think. The only way
around would be to buy a better computer. Sorry.

--
Timo Heister
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/

Steve Garabedian

May 8, 2015, 2:04:33 PM5/8/15
to dea...@googlegroups.com
Please don't apologize; it's far better to know what's happening then to spend my time not getting anywhere. I figured a new(er) computer would eventually be necessary, but I thought I'd try with an older model before making an investment.

Thanks again
Steve