Pre-existing handles

Aza

Feb 4, 2019, 5:28:30 PM2/4/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi there,

I'm adding a few datasets manually. Is there any way that I can retain the existing Handles and reuse them in my Dataverse?

Thanks,
--Aza

Philip Durbin

Feb 5, 2019, 8:23:49 AM2/5/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I hate encouraging people to hack on the database directly but I don't believe there's any other way. The database table is called dvobject[1] and you'd want to look at the following columns:

- protocol
- authority
- identifier

This request reminds me somewhat of "moving to production" discussion at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/d2sppPCGGFs/eGPJgdsuAAAJ

You would be welcome to create a GitHub issue with your story: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues

It's also feel related to some new-ish functionality...

... but again, I don't think there's a feature for exactly what you're talking about so please feel free to create a GitHub issue.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Aza

Feb 5, 2019, 1:01:48 PM2/5/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks Philip.

I don't like hacking either.
Someone suggested me to add the handles in the "Other ID" field instead. This one actually works for me. In this case, does Dataverse automatically re-register the handle? Does it resolve both handle and DOI correctly?

--Aza

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:28 PM Aza <azadeh.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm adding a few datasets manually. Is there any way that I can retain the existing Handles and reuse them in my Dataverse?

Thanks,
--Aza

Philip Durbin

Feb 5, 2019, 6:26:50 PM2/5/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
No using "Other ID" doesn't automatically register it. It's just a plain metadata field. But if it works for you, you're welcome to use it!