Website is down

Jeffrey Walton

Apr 17, 2020, 3:02:13 AM4/17/20
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Everyone,

The Crypto++ website is down.

It appears GoDaddy is suspending the VM due to high cpu usage. GoDaddy writes it is due to Apache.

We are not sure what is going on. We have not made any configuration changes since last summer. The only changes are documentation updates last week, which is copied new HTML files to a docs/ directory.

I suspect something is sideways due to the OOM killer on the VM. OOM probably killed MySQL service, which wreaked havoc with Apache.

At the moment I cannot SSH into the machine.

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton

Apr 19, 2020, 9:21:44 AM4/19/20
to Crypto++ Users
The VM is available again.

It looks like someone from China is hammering the web server with useless requests, and it is causing a DoS:

    59.64.129.175 - - [19/Apr/2020:08:53:53 -0400] "GET
    /w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere&limit=50&
    printable=yes HTTP/1.1" 301 311

We are trying to block the netblock, but the netfilter rule is not present after rebooting the machine.

    iptables -A INPUT -s 59.64.128.0/19 -p TCP -j DROP

We cannot ifdown/ifup because we lose access the the VM. We have to reboot to machine to effect changes.

We're now trying to figure out what is wrong with netfilter.

Jeff

Scott Thorpe

Apr 19, 2020, 10:32:05 AM4/19/20
to cryptop...@googlegroups.com
Might be silly but make sure the logs are on log rotate so the system doesn’t run out of space.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to "Crypto++ Users". More information about Crypto++ and this group is available at http://www.cryptopp.com and http://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cryptopp-users.
---

Jeffrey Walton