mod_auth_tkt SSO authentication support

pe...@koodaamo.fi

Apr 22, 2016, 3:06:00 AM4/22/16
to Crossbar
I have a web CMS (Plone) that supports mod_auth_tkt and would like to have Crossbar accept such cookies for authentication.

So how would one support authentication cookie from an external system in Crossbar? Do I have to write a custom authenticator? There is a shared secret involved so that would have to be added to configuration settings as well, I guess.

See for example http://www.openfusion.com.au/labs/mod_auth_tkt/ for more information, or just google.

FWIW, software libraries are available for various languages for generating and parsing mod_auth_tkt cookies.

Thanks,

 Petri

Tobias Oberstein

Apr 22, 2016, 6:33:27 AM4/22/16
to cross...@googlegroups.com
Hi Petri,

It'll depend.

Say you have an existing Web application, where the HTML/CSS/JS is
served by Apache, and the user is authenticated there via mod_auth_tkt

Upon successful authentication, a cookie is set. For the origin of the HTML.

Now, say you have Crossbar.io running, and only used for
WAMP(-over-WebSocket).

You can have the JS read the cookie, and then use WAMP-Ticket
authentication, forwarding the cookie value on the WAMP/WebSocket
connection to Crossbar.io.

Then you can have a custom, dynamic authenticator

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbarexamples/tree/master/authentication/ticket/dynamic

that will get the cookie value as the ticket.

That authenticator code (of yours) then will need to check the cookie.

When the cookie value is cryptographically signed in itself, no further
communication is needed.

If its not (but it should be!), then the authenticator needs to talk to
your actual cookie/auth DB to check.

In the former case (if done right), you _can_ get away without secure
WebSocket. (However, replay attacks!)

In the latter, you MUST use secure WebSocket to make it secure.

But you should use secure WebSocket in general, and always anyway.

Does that help?

Cheers,
/Tobias