Please fix the docs!

已查看 76 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Dante Lorenso

未读,
2016年5月24日 15:16:282016/5/24
收件人 Crossbar
It's been very frustrating trying to work with crossbar this past couple weeks.  Every time I try to reference the docs, I get a broken page:

Has a link to:

Automatic startup and restart

But I just get a broken page:

404 Not Found

  • Code: NoSuchKey
  • Message: The specified key does not exist.
  • Key: docs/Automatic-startup-and-restart/index.html
  • RequestId: F9D4F1E3B8033EC7
  • HostId: Uqx2Kvn3SjTvFBZkcmWAufqdbwWrtp9YGIeIjG5+CdcA/q/FbFwQ8N2o6bSUd7x1uzlCenFc/iE=
Many of the links are like this.

ETA on when this will be fixed?  It's been like this for a while so ... I'm beginning to think that either nobody knows the problem exists, or nobody cares ... and I start to wonder if Crossbar.io is losing support and momentum?

-- Dante

Gareth Bult

未读,
2016年5月24日 18:03:432016/5/24
收件人 Crossbar
Hi Dante, I think *most* of the documentation is there and working Ok, it's just a few links that are broken. I was about to suggest that if you see any problem you hit the "file an issue" link .. unfortunately it looks like this might be one of the broken ones .. I say broken, it looks like it's pointing to a recently depreciated repo that's had it's issues section turned off .. hopefully this will be rectified shortly, at which point it's probably the place to report stuff.

http://crossbar.io/docs/
This documentation is an open-source community effort sponsored by Tavendo. Should you find errors or if you have suggestions, please file an issue.

In terms of momentum, I've invested the last 18 months in developing a web development framework around Crossbar and thus far it's looking to be very successful - the first enterprise app sitting on top of it is now 12 demo's, 12 signups.
Bit of a double edged sword, because it's working so well, it's keeping me busy, so you might find the lack of chatter here is a sign of success rather than an issue .. :)

If anyone's interested I have an end-to-end Ansible deployment  for Crossbar (+ my app) onto Digital Ocean / Ubuntu 16.04.
Given a DigitalOcean API token it will set up a complete instance including creating the Droplet, DNS A record setup, Lets Encrypt SSL, Crossbar, Pypy, all dependencies, "svc" startup/shutdown, "twistd" application service start/stop, firehol firewall, monit monitoring (to a central M/Monit instance), postfix authenticated SMTP, and various other bits. (and it pulls the App from a GitHib repo)  It's not in a state where I can publish the whole thing, but I can certainly publish playbooks and methods for most of it if anyone wants bits.

The "only" real issue I'm having is the inability to run multiple cooperating routers for high availability - if anyone has any designs, plans, prototypes for this I'd love to have a look.
Short of that, I'm going to "need" something myself shortly so I might have to start getting creative ... :)

Gareth Bult

未读,
2016年5月24日 18:10:582016/5/24
收件人 Crossbar
Ok, maybe a few more than anticipated, I count 142 dead links / broken images atm .. I have a list if anyone wants it .. :)

Tobias Oberstein

未读,
2016年5月24日 20:39:142016/5/24
收件人 cross...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dante,

yes, I am guilty of this=( As I think having the doc pages together with
the code implementing the feature - hence the move of doc pages. And I
screwed up quite a couple of links in the migration. I now think I fixed
most of the link issues. And I deployed these changes to the live site.
So, if you still run into missing links, please let me know. I have
basically clicked everything now, and it work for me ..

Cheers,
/Tobias

Am 24.05.2016 um 21:16 schrieb Dante Lorenso:
> It's been very frustrating trying to work with crossbar this past couple
> weeks. Every time I try to reference the docs, I get a broken page:
>
> http://crossbar.io/docs/Table-of-Contents/
>
> Has a link to:
>
> Automatic startup and restart
>
> http://crossbar.io/docs/Automatic-startup-and-restart/
>

> But I just get a broken page:
>
> 404 Not Found
>
> - Code: NoSuchKey
> - Message: The specified key does not exist.
> - Key: docs/Automatic-startup-and-restart/index.html
> - RequestId: F9D4F1E3B8033EC7
> - HostId:
> Uqx2Kvn3SjTvFBZkcmWAufqdbwWrtp9YGIeIjG5+CdcA/q/FbFwQ8N2o6bSUd7x1uzlCenFc/iE=
>
> Many of the links are like this.
>
> ETA on when this will be fixed? It's been like this for a while so ... I'm
> beginning to think that either nobody knows the problem exists, or nobody
> cares ... and I start to wonder if Crossbar.io is losing support and
> momentum?
>
> -- Dante
>

> -

Gareth Bult

未读,
2016年5月25日 04:12:192016/5/25
收件人 Crossbar
Hi Tobias,

Few still there;

http://crossbar.io/blog/ (main page / footer)
References to the "Roboto" font which no longer looks to be present
http://crossbar.io/about/Features/ -> WAMP-* links (Anonymous, Ticket, CRA Cryptosign, Cookie, TLS)
http://crossbar.io/about/Features/ Authorization .. probably a dozen or so more on this page ....

hth

Elvis Stansvik

未读,
2016年5月25日 11:54:252016/5/25
收件人 cross...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps a link checker would be in order? Something triggered nightly + by commits to the docs? Not sure what is possible/available in that area though.

Elvis

> hth

Gareth Bult

未读,
2016年5月25日 12:00:032016/5/25
收件人 Crossbar
(I used this; http://www.deadlinkchecker.com/ , two minor issues, (a) false negatives, (b) not easy to post a summary here ... :)  )

I must admit I'm used to hosting sites on Wordpress, and there are a couple of turnkey plugins for dead link checking that can run nightly .. not that I'm desperate to promote Wordpress, but it does do quite a bit of the heavy lifting for you ..

Tobias Oberstein

未读,
2016年5月25日 16:18:342016/5/25
收件人 cross...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gareth,

=( Mmh. Ok. I go over it again. More fallout from the docs move. Thanks
for reporting! I probably will first bring up the IoT cookbook again
online, and then fix the rest of the links .. there are only so many links;)

Cheers
/Tobias

Tobias Oberstein

未读,
2016年5月25日 16:26:012016/5/25
收件人 cross...@googlegroups.com
> Perhaps a link checker would be in order? Something triggered nightly + by
> commits to the docs? Not sure what is possible/available in that area
> though.

Hi Elvis,

for the doc pages themselves (and that makes up the main chunk of the
web site), which now live in the Crossbar.io repo, it would indeed be
cool to have CI doc test which checks links. So we would need a script
that goes over the markdown files and checks (internal) links. And that
can run as a check step in the Travis CI builds.

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias Oberstein

未读,
2016年5月25日 16:31:462016/5/25
收件人 cross...@googlegroups.com
Am 25.05.2016 um 22:25 schrieb Tobias Oberstein:
>> Perhaps a link checker would be in order? Something triggered nightly
>> + by
>> commits to the docs? Not sure what is possible/available in that area
>> though.
>
> Hi Elvis,
>
> for the doc pages themselves (and that makes up the main chunk of the
> web site), which now live in the Crossbar.io repo, it would indeed be
> cool to have CI doc test which checks links. So we would need a script
> that goes over the markdown files and checks (internal) links. And that
> can run as a check step in the Travis CI builds.

I have filed the idea as an issue

https://github.com/crossbario/crossbar/issues/811

I have to look into the markdown processing during web site building,
because maybe there is an easy hook where to place code for such a check.

Gareth Bult

未读,
2016年5月25日 16:54:432016/5/25
收件人 Crossbar