Regular grid of gaussians

Paolo Pegolo

Jan 3, 2021, 8:50:44 AM1/3/21
to cp2k
Dear cp2k community,

In the literature (e.g., here and here) people refer to the possibility of adding to the set of atomic centered gaussians a grid of gaussians functions fixed in space, that helps describing the wavefunction of a system with, e.g., loosely bound electrons. They use cp2k, but I have not been able to find any information about it in the manual.

How can one do this?

Thank you,
Paolo

hut...@chem.uzh.ch

Jan 4, 2021, 4:11:52 AM1/4/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

You should be able to do such a calculation by defining a new
atom type, e.g. AGHOST

&KIND AGHOST
BASIS_SET "my-basis-set"
GHOST
&END KIND

Then add atoms of this type on a regular grid to the coordinate definition.

For a test I would start with a small number of ghost atoms and check
the number of basis functions and the outcome of a geometry optimization
for a simple molecule.

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C FAX : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich E-mail: hut...@chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

Jan 4, 2021, 8:43:25 AM1/4/21
to cp2k
Thank you for your answer.

I wrote a file MY-BASIS with the new basis for the element AGHOST with a basis set called my-basis-set. The beginning of such file reads
  AGHOST my-basis-set

Then I added

BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME MY-BASIS

to the &DFT section of the input file,

&KIND AGHOST
BASIS_SET my-basis-set
GHOST
&END KIND

to the &SUBSYS section, and I put the coordinates of the AGHOST atoms I need to the XYZ file I use to define the topology of the system. I get the error

Element <AGHOST> provided for KIND <AGHOST> which cannot be mapped
 with any standard element label. Please correct your input file!

Is there something wrong I am doing?

Regards,
Paolo

hut...@chem.uzh.ch

Jan 5, 2021, 4:44:22 AM1/5/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

You can specify an element type using the keyword ELEMENT XX
in the KIND section.

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C FAX : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich E-mail: hut...@chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

Jan 5, 2021, 10:27:06 AM1/5/21
to cp2k
Ok, thank you. I see that the required ELEMENT keyword affects only the atomic label, in this case.
If I want to use ADMM, will I have to use the same basis set also for the AUX_FIT part? Or is there a way to generate a consistent auxiliary basis?

Regards,

Paolo

hut...@chem.uzh.ch

Jan 5, 2021, 11:02:04 AM1/5/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

you will need to define an AUX_BASIS also for the ghost element.
Your on your own to find a reasonable basis that is compatible
with your ghost basis.

Just a wild guess. If you are using a grid of basis functions, your
basis will be very small (single Gaussian, maybe s and p types).
In that case use the same basis for the AUX_BASIS.

Other idea: try to use no ADMM basis on the grid.
Method 1) try AUX_BASIS NONE
Method 2) Use ADMM METHOD BLOCKED_PROJECTION

I have never tried any of these, you need to experiment.

regards

Juerg Hutter

Juerg Hutter Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C FAX : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich E-mail: hut...@chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

Jan 5, 2021, 11:44:17 AM1/5/21
to cp2k
Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

Regards,
Paolo