Keywords in KPOINTS section

Lucas Bandeira

May 16, 2021, 1:09:04 PM5/16/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Dear cp2k community,

I am trying to understand some of the keywords in the KPOINTS section. They are the WAVEFUNCTIONS, FULL_GRID, and SYMMETRY keywords.

If I set FULL_GRID TRUE, will integrals also be evaluated outside the Irreducible Brillouin Zone? Or this keyword has nothing to do with it. When should I set it to TRUE or FALSE?

About the WAVEFUNCTION keyword, when should I set it to REAL or to COMPLEX? In the cp2k exercise to compute the band structure of graphene, it was set to REAL, but I had some problems using it for metallic systems, so I swapped it to COMPLEX.

About the SYMMETRY keyword, I am optimizing the geometry of a cubic metallic bulk. So it is OK to set it to TRUE. But, when working with slabs, I should set it to FALSE, because the vacuum layer removes the symmetry of the system. Is that right? Could somebody give me other examples of when I should set it to TRUE or FALSE?

Yours sincerely,

Lucas Bandeira

hut...@chem.uzh.ch

May 17, 2021, 8:43:28 AM5/17/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

some additional information on the kpoints keywords:

FULL_GRID T/F : If false uses time reversal to reduce number of k-points (default)
Symmetry T/F : Reduces number of kpoints according to symmetry operations (this is
currently not availbale in CP2k)
Wavefunction Real/Complex : orbitals in kpoint calculations are by default complex.
For some specific choices of kpoints (gamma point, zone boarders)
wfn can be chosen to be real.

regards

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C FAX : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich E-mail: hut...@chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

May 17, 2021, 8:57:06 AM5/17/21
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hii,

I am also confused with this section. Can anybody explain what the below input will do.  What is the meaning of SCHEME, FULL_GRID. Actually I want to calculate the lattice constant for an argon unit cell.

&KPOINTS
   SCHEME  MONKHORST-PACK  8  8  8
   FULL_GRID  .TRUE.
&END KPOINTS