Poisson solver issue for spin-unrestricted calculation of heme

Lukas Krieger

Nov 29, 2022, 7:47:58 AM11/29/22
to cp2k
Hi all,
my name is Lukas and I get severe problems while simulating a heme molecule without a ligand and with Fe^2+ in a quintet state. I always get the warning that the charge density does not vanish at the edges of the box. Increasing the box to 35 Angström has no effect what is surprising as the spin-restricted calculation for the singlet Fe^2+-heme runs even with a 20 A box! I'll also submit my inp and out files. I stopped the energy calculation after a couple of steps as the values are completly out of range. I'll also submit a spin-restricted calculation (Bound_state_3) to compare.
Bound_state_3.out
excited_state2.inp
excited_state2.out
Bound_state_3.inp

Jürg Hutter

Nov 30, 2022, 7:27:02 AM11/30/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

it seems (cannot verify without full input) that the problem is the initial guess
of your quintet calculation. The initial energy is +5000 instead about -500.

regards
JH

Nov 30, 2022, 7:34:44 AM11/30/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jürg,
thank you a lot for your answer. Do you have an idea how to choose a better guess for Fe while keeping the quintet multiplicity? I really need the quintet as it is experimentally determined that unbound heme contains quintet-Fe^2+.

Sincerely

Lukas

PS: You have said that my input is not complete. Which sections are missing there?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "cp2k" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cp2k/ZR0P278MB0759B015F15D70EEE61D74669F159%40ZR0P278MB0759.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Jürg Hutter

Nov 30, 2022, 7:43:14 AM11/30/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

the coordinate file is missing.

I would start with

LSD
Charge -2
Multiplicity 5

without any specific BS input for the atoms.

regards
JH

my name is Lukas and I get severe problems while simulating a heme molecule without a ligand and with Fe^2+ in a quintet state. I always get the warning that the charge density does not vanish at the edges of the box. Increasing the box to 35 Angström has no effect what is surprising as the spin-restricted calculation for the singlet Fe^2+-heme runs even with a 20 A box! I'll also submit my inp and out files. I stopped the energy calculation after a couple of steps as the values are completly out of range. I'll also submit a spin-restricted calculation (Bound_state_3) to compare.

Lukas Krieger

Nov 30, 2022, 7:48:51 AM11/30/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
ah true, I'll send it to you in a couple of minutes. My first idea was also to set multiplicity to 5 but then I recognized that 2 of the nitrogens around the iron are negatively charged so that the charge compensates to 0 in the inner region (qtot=-2 comes from the carboxy-groups). As nitrogen has 3 unpaired P-electrons due to Hund's rule I thought that I have to give a start configuration at least for Fe^2+, N and N^-.

Sincerely

Lukas

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cp2k/ZR0P278MB0759DE797A4FA4283C7949A89F159%40ZR0P278MB0759.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Lukas Krieger

Nov 30, 2022, 8:49:27 AM11/30/22
to cp2k
Hi Jürg,
right now I gonna submit my coordinate file in .xyz-format.
hemehisCO_5d5r.xyz
hemehisCO_5cmvNEW_3.xyz