Issues with stress tensor calculations.

Dina Kussainova

Jul 15, 2022, 4:59:55 PM7/15/22
to cp2k
Hi,

I am doing single-point calculations of Li2CO3 with PBE functional, DZVP basis sets, and GTH pseudopotentials. Please see attached input file.  However, I am getting different values of stress tensors when I am choosing analytical or numerical methods. When I am doing NPT simulations with the analytical method for stress tensor calculations, looks like volume is also overestimated. Do you know what can be a reason for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Below are snapshots of the output files.

Thanks,
Dina

analytical.png

numerical.png
input.inp

Jürg Hutter

Jul 18, 2022, 4:49:40 AM7/18/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

unfortunately, without the complete input it is not possible to reproduce your findings.
From your input I would suggest:

- use a recent version of CP2K (version 9.1 or the recently released 2022.1)
- Don't use LONG_RANGE_CORRECTION in D3
- for debugging purposes it might also be good to switch off CALCULATE_C9_TERM
- Use EPS_SCF 1.E-7 or lower
- Don't use &XC_GRID
XC_DERIV SPLINE2
XC_SMOOTH_RHO NN50
&END XC_GRID
- Increase REL_CUTOFF to 60 or higher
- Use CELL_REF with 20% increased cell parameters to stabilize the finite difference calculation.

best regards

Juerg Hutter

Aug 2, 2022, 3:34:30 PM8/2/22
to cp2k
Dear Professor Juerg Hutter,

Thank you for your help. Turning off LONG_RANGE_CORRECTION helped to get similar stress tensors for both analytical and numerical methods. However, I have also noticed that XC_GRID parameters significantly affect stress tensor calculations as well as forces/energy calculations. Please see below snapshots of some test calculations with different parameters. Considering this, what is the best way to identify the correct parameters for my calculations?

Thanks,
Dina

orig.png
test2.png

test8.png

test11.png

test12.png

test13.png
input.inp
coor.xyz

Jürg Hutter

Aug 3, 2022, 4:26:35 AM8/3/22
to cp...@googlegroups.com
Hi

as I wrote in my first answer, I strongly advice against using smoothing methods for the density or
the gradients. As far as I know, the stress dependence on the smoothing function is not implemented.
If the grid convergence is a problem, I would use other methods, e.g. NLCC or GAPW.

regards

Juerg Hutter

Thank you for your help. Turning off LONG_RANGE_CORRECTION helped to get similar stress tensors for both analytical and numerical methods. However, I have also noticed that XC_GRID parameters significantly affect stress tensor calculations as well as forces/energy calculations. Please see below snapshots of some test calculations with different parameters. Considering this, what is the best way to identify the correct parameters for my calculations?

Thanks,
Dina

[orig.png]
[test2.png]

[test8.png]

[test11.png]

[test12.png]

[test13.png]
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cp2k/fddf3eab-9bb6-4b56-b127-9c019eb0bee3n%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cp2k/fddf3eab-9bb6-4b56-b127-9c019eb0bee3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
test8.png
orig.png
test13.png
test11.png