CometD Releases 3.1.12, 4.0.6 and 5.0.0-BETA1

Simone Bordet

Dec 23, 2019, 1:09:54 PM12/23/19
to cometd-users, cometd-dev
Hi all,

CometD 3.1.12, 4.0.6 and 5.0.0-BETA1 have been released.

All the releases contain updates to dependencies; Jetty is now at
9.4.25; Dojo at 1.16.0; jQuery at 3.4.1; OkHttp at 4.2.2; Spring at
5.2.2 and Spring Boot at 2.2.2.

CometD 3.1.12 is a minor bug fix release.
See here for a list of fixed issues: https://github.com/cometd/cometd/projects/5
The most important bug fix is #889: support for SameSite cookie attribute.
This is important as browsers are planning to enforce this cookie
attribute very soon, see
https://blog.chromium.org/2019/10/developers-get-ready-for-new.html.

CometD 4.0.6 is a minor bug fix release.
See here for a list of fixed issues: https://github.com/cometd/cometd/projects/6
CometD 4.0.6 incorporates the bugs fixed in 3.1.12 plus a specific
4.0.x bug fix.
Jetty has been updated to 9.4.25, which is a recommended upgrade.

CometD 5.0.0-BETA1 is the second release of the CometD 5 series which
will replace the CometD 4 series (while the CometD 3 series will
remain supported for customers and for those that cannot upgrade from
Java 8).
When the official CometD 5.0.0 release will be out, CometD 4.0.x will
be in maintenance mode only.
As said in previous messages, CometD 5 still requires Java 8, but we
have taken the chance to clean up the implementation, remove
deprecated classes and methods, and improve modularization (in
preparation for CometD 6, Java 11 and JPMS support).
Since there are breaking change with respect to CometD 4, here you can
find the migration guide:
https://docs.cometd.org/current5/reference/#_migration_40_to_50.

Feedback on CometD 5 is very welcome: migration aside, I expect to be
an almost drop-in replacement for CometD 4, with functionality and
stability on par with CometD 4.
If you can, upgrade to CometD 5, which I expect to be a long term
maintained release for all those that remain on Java 8 (as CometD 6
will require Java 11).

Enjoy!

--
Simone Bordet
----

Glenn Thompson

Jan 9, 2020, 7:40:44 PM1/9/20
to cometd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simone,

Any idea when 5.0.0 will be in general release?

Thanks,
Glenn

Visit the CometD website at http://www.cometd.org

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cometd-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cometd-users/CAFWmRJ2KpNSDuRJTr%2BpWSmH6V-tFc-BKLcY-Fd2B0Jj1b%2BuOiA%40mail.gmail.com.

Simone Bordet

Jan 10, 2020, 2:20:21 AM1/10/20
to cometd-users
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 1:40 AM Glenn Thompson <gatma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simone,
>
> Any idea when 5.0.0 will be in general release?

There have been two 5.0.x BETA out so far, but I have not heard any
feedback yet about them, so I'm assuming those who tried 5.0.x had
success.

I'll wait for the next Jetty release which will be due in January, and
do one last round of releases, and likely 5.0.0 will be out then.

At that point, 5.0.x will become the main release (replacing 4.0.x),
and I expect 6.0.x to be out when Jetty 10 will be out, hopefully
February/March.

Glenn Thompson

Jan 10, 2020, 9:25:15 AM1/10/20
to cometd...@googlegroups.com