Varied thrush El Paso County

Deborah Carstensen

Dec 31, 2017, 4:47:39 PM12/31/17
to Cobirds
I was birding North Cheyenne Canyon Park near Colorado Springs and a varied thrush flew up into a bush. It was a very clear look, very distinctive but was a little too far for my iPhone to really capture. It is along Cheyenne creek just upstream from the footbridge near the parking lot.

There was also pigmy nuthatches, downy woodpecker‘s and two robins. While I was leaving, A flock of 40 crows flew overhead.

Deb Carstensen, Arapahoe county

Sent from my iPhone

linda hodges

Jan 1, 2018, 9:17:48 PM1/1/18
to fiddl...@aol.com, Cobirds
The Varied Thrush continued today in the same general area. Thanks to directions from Aaron Shipe and Mel Goff, a few of us saw it near the Area 4 pulloff. (this is on Cheyenne Blvd on the way to Seven Falls - NOT in N Cheyenne Canon Park proper.) This is only a few minutes from the RB Sapsucker site.

The bird was feeding on the berries of scraggly bushes, and was more or less with a group of American Robins.

Thanks to Kathy Miller's friend, Holly, for spotting the bird. And it was nice to meet you, Tom, Tom and Steve!

Linda Hodges
​Colorado Springs​