CKAN 2.3 released, patch versions for 2.0.x, 2.1.x and 2.2x available

Adrià Mercader

Mar 4, 2015, 8:49:19 AM3/4/15
to ckan-a...@lists.okfn.org, CKAN Development Discussions, ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The CKAN team is happy to announce the release of the latest CKAN
version, which comes packed with new features and stability fixes.

As usual, all new features and changes are described in the CHANGELOG
[1], here are some of the most exciting bits:

* Completely refactored resource data visualizations, allowing
multiple persistent views of the same data an interface to manage and
configure them. Check the updated documentation to know more, and the
"Changes and deprecations" section for migration details:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.3/maintaining/data-viewer.html

* Responsive design for the default theme, that allows nicer
rendering across different devices
* Improved DataStore filtering and full text search capabilities
* Added new extension points to modify the DataStore behaviour
* Simplified two-step dataset creation process
* Ability for users to regenerate their own API keys
* Changes on the authentication mechanism to allow more secure
set-ups. See "Changes and deprecations" section for more details and
"Troubleshooting" for migration instructions.
* Better support for custom dataset types
* Updated documentation theme, now clearer and responsive

If you are upgrading from a previous version, make sure to check the
"Changes and deprecations" section in the CHANGELOG, specially
regarding the authorization configuration and data visualizations.

To install the new version, follow the relevant instructions from the
documentation depending on whether you are using a package or source
install:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.3/maintaining/installing/index.html

If you are upgrading an existing CKAN instance, follow the upgrade instructions:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.3/maintaining/upgrading/index.html

We have also made available patch releases for the 2.0.x, 2.1.x and
2.2.x versions. It is important to apply these, as they contain
important security and stability fixes. Patch releases are fully
backwards compatible and really easy to install:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/maintaining/upgrading/upgrade-package-to-patch-release.html

If you have any doubts or comments feel free to contact us on the
mailing list or on the IRC channel.

Lastly I'd like to say thank you very much to the more than 50
developers (conservative estimate!) and many, many translators that
have contributed to these release, even with a small patch. Also
special thanks to all who have helped test the release in the past
weeks, you guys rock!

Adrià

[1] https://github.com/ckan/ckan/blob/master/CHANGELOG.rst#v23-2015-03-04

Steven De Costa

Mar 4, 2015, 4:43:48 PM3/4/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com, ckan-a...@lists.okfn.org, ckan...@lists.okfn.org
This, along with cheesecake for breakfast, has made today awesome already :)

Awesome stuff from all the CKAN project tech team, contributors and testers!

For those in the group who aren't aware of who the killer tech team is behind the CKAN project, they are:

  • Ian Ward (data.gc.ca) – Technical Team Lead
  • Nigel Babu (Open Knowledge)
  • Vitor Baptista (Open Knowledge)
  • Sean Hammond (Open Knowledge)
  • Ross Jones (Independent)
  • Adrià Mercader (Open Knowledge)
  • David Raznick (Open Knowledge)
  • David Read (data.gov.uk)
  • Joe Tsoi (Open Knowledge)
- See more about them at: http://ckan.org/about/technical-team/
Now is the perfect time to for more people to get involved and start working toward the 2.4 release!

I will be donating all my conference swag from the Ottawa open data conference to the team in appreciation ;)

Hoots!

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir

Mar 7, 2015, 5:36:12 AM3/7/15
to CKAN Development Discussions, ckan-a...@lists.okfn.org, ckan-global...@googlegroups.com
Protip: if you have an ancient development environment somewhere with
git set to pull from https://github.com/okfn/ckan that now redirects
to https://github.com/okfn/ckan-barnet not
https://github.com/ckan/ckan so please check and manually update your
git remotes if you cannot find the release-v2.3 branch.

Nigel Babu

Mar 7, 2015, 8:23:40 AM3/7/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com, CKAN Development Discussions, ckan-a...@lists.okfn.org
Woops, that doesn't sound right. I'll talk to github folks and get that sorted.

Thanks Alex.

Nigel Babu
Senior Sysadmin, Open Knowledge

Nigel Babu

Mar 9, 2015, 10:50:05 AM3/9/15
to ckan-global...@googlegroups.com, CKAN Development Discussions
Redirects are now fixed

github.com/okfn/ckan will now redirect to github.com/ckan/ckan.

Sorry about the issues, I suspect github did something wrong in between.