Passports

Director, Churchill Archives Centre

Oct 11, 2019, 3:50:34 AM10/11/19
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Further to your discussion, a quick search of our catalogue reveals that his archives contain passports for Churchill for 1893, 1918 and 1940.

All best wishes,

Allen

Mr Allen Packwood
Director
Telephone: 01223 336175

Churchill Archives Centre
Churchill College
Cambridge, CB3 0DS

Registered Charity: No 1137476

Churchill College takes its responsibilities to protect your data seriously. The College’s data protection privacy statements are available online at https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/about/official-documents/data-protection-statements/
This email (together with any files transmitted with it) is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email (or telephone) and delete the original message.

Antoine Capet

Oct 11, 2019, 4:28:14 AM10/11/19
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear Allen,

Many thanks - of course I meant a British passport, not honorary ones.

I wonder whether his 1893, 1918 and 1940 passports bear the usual foreign
stamps. If Yes, they must be extremely numerous.

I do not know how long current UK passports are valid for. I suppose the law
has changed and that they used to be valid for a longer period than now. In
that case, the three passports at Cambridge might well be all he had (though
he went to France as a boy, before 1893 - but at the time perhaps passports
were not needed).

All very fascinating !

A pity they are not displayed (one at least opened) at Chartwell or the
Churchill Museum.

With all best wishes,

A.C.

Antoine CAPET, FRHistS
Professor emeritus of British Studies
University of Rouen
76821 Mont-Saint-Aignan
France
antoin...@univ-rouen.fr

'Britain since 1914' Section Editor
Royal Historical Society Bibliography

Email: director...@chu.cam.ac.uk
Telephone: 01223 336175

Churchill Archives Centre
Churchill College
Cambridge, CB3 0DS

Registered Charity: No 1137476

Churchill College takes its responsibilities to protect your data seriously.
The College???s data protection privacy statements are available online at
https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/about/official-documents/data-protection-statements/
This email (together with any files transmitted with it) is intended only
for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain
information which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender by return email (or
telephone) and delete the original message.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/churchillchat/1A1B18AF0A7EE24E8D0D69B37AC797AA201A8966%40LANCELOT.ADMIN.CHU.CAM.AC.UK.

Richard Langworth

Oct 11, 2019, 10:36:43 AM10/11/19
to ChurchillChat
Sir Winston's last British passport is also on display at Chartwell, loaned by his great-grandson Randolph.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

Antoine Capet

Oct 11, 2019, 10:45:12 AM10/11/19
to church...@googlegroups.com
Dear Richard,

Excellent photographs - many thanks !

A.C.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/churchillchat/75107f6a-84bd-4205-90d8-1eb996184f3e%40googlegroups.com.

Brad Tolppanen

Oct 11, 2019, 4:38:23 PM10/11/19
to church...@googlegroups.com

Antoine and all,

After seeing the interesting topic of Churchill’s passports on the chat group, I have published a new post on A Blog on Winston Churchill with an image of the first page of Churchill’s 1918 passport. The post is available at:

https://winstonchurchillblog.wordpress.com/2019/10/11/churchills-passport/

Best,

Brad