How to mark code switching in CLAN and pass CHECK and MOR

Ning Hsu

Nov 12, 2019, 12:46:38 PM11/12/19
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues,

I'm wondering if there is a way to pick out sections of material in code-switching in a transcript of Spanish production, and make the transcript pass CHECK and MOR.

For example, I have an utterance like this, the child said the English word "zebra" in a Spanish sentence. The Spanish version of zebra is "cebra," so I transcribed it as the following.

CHI: y el mico encima de la <zebra> [@eng] cebra

When I run check @, CLAN gives the following error message:
*CHI: y el mico encima de la <zebra> [@eng] cebra .
Symbol is not declared in the depfile.(11)

Then I try check -s”<@eng>” @, the message becomes
Invalid option: -s”<@eng>”

Is there a way that I can make the transcript pass CHECK and MOR? Thanks!

--
Ning Hsu, Ph.D.
Project Manager, Fluency Bank

University of Maryland

Hearing and Speech Sciences

0100 Lefrak Hall, Office 0221D

College Park, MD 20742

ning...@umd.edu

Brian MacWhinney

Nov 12, 2019, 12:51:14 PM11/12/19
to ChiBolts
Ning,
The CHAT system for marking code-switching is described in section 16.1 of the CHAT manual. The case you cite is barely a case of code-switching, so it is just marked on the word itself. In this case, you would transcribe:

*CHI: y el mico encima de la zebra@s:eng .

If you had
@Languages: spa, eng
then you would only need

*CHI: y el mico encima de la zebra@s.

If you care about the part of speech for zebra, you can have:

*CHI: y el mico encima de la zebra@s$n.

-- Brian MacWhinney
Teresa Heinz Professor of Cognitive Psychology,
Computational Linguistics,
and Modern Languages, CMU

Ning Hsu

Nov 12, 2019, 12:57:14 PM11/12/19