MLU and FREQ - words and tokens

Ailín Franco

Nov 9, 2022, 1:18:55 PM11/9/22
to chibolts
Dear all,
Sorry to write to you, but I've just started to use the programm and I have some doubts.
I am using MLU and FREQ and I saw a difference (in some cases) between the count of the words and tokens, for example:

MLU for Speaker: *CHI:
  MLU (xxx, yyy and www are EXCLUDED from the utterance and morpheme counts):
    Number of: utterances = 19, words = 60
    Ratio of words over utterances = 3.158
    Standard deviation = 2.134

   54  Total number of different item types used
   95  Total number of items (tokens)
0.568  Type/Token ratio
    This TTR number was not calculated on the basis of %mor line forms.
    If you want a TTR based on lemmas, run FREQ on the %mor line
    with option: +sm;*,o%

I am not calculating the numbers on %mor line, in neither of them.

I am reading the manual but I don't undertand why is a difference in the numers of tokens and words

Thank you in advance,
Ailín

Brian Macwhinney

Nov 9, 2022, 2:43:00 PM11/9/22
to ChiBolts
Alin,
FREQ looks at all words. MLU has lots of exclusions, based on the rules formulated by Brown (1973), as described in the manual in section 7.8. If you think that the rules stated there are not in accord with Brown’s principles, I would need to see your input file.

—Brian MacWhinney

Ailín Franco

Nov 9, 2022, 3:08:15 PM11/9/22
to chib...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Brian
Thank you for your quick response. I am going to revise this section in order to understand the MLU exclusions (eg  repetitions and reformulations that are coded as such, as I read in one of your papers)
Thank you again.
Ailín

--
Ailín P. Franco Accinelli