Error running CHECK command

Katherine Vindas

Oct 30, 2013, 1:34:53 AM10/30/13
to chib...@googlegroups.com, Johanna Sibaja
Good evening!

I have made some transcriptions of (the speech) interactions between mother-infant dyads and when I have tried to check them with the CHECK command in CLAN I have gotten this error:

Could you help me again please?

Kind regards,

Katherine Vindas
University of Costa Rica

Brian MacWhinney

Oct 30, 2013, 10:02:03 AM10/30/13
to ChiBolts, Katherine Vindas, Johanna Sibaja
Dear Johanna,
     It is a bit difficult to see this clearly, but it is quite likely that the problem is with your use of the curly apostrophe in the word don’t@s:eng.  The curly apostrophe is something produced only by MS-Word.  It is not a standard ASCII or even Unicode character.  This is one of the severfal reasons we recommend using the CLAN editor instead of the MS-Word editor.  You can globally replace the curly apostrophe with the regular straight one using CLAN’s query-replace function.

—Brian MacWhinney

Leonid Spektor

Oct 30, 2013, 1:28:41 PM10/30/13
to chibolts
Katherine,

I think you got a version of CLAN that might have had problem with single quote characters. I have tested the latest version of CLAN from 18 Oct 2013 and CHECK works correctly. I can see that you are using version from 08 Oct 2013. Please download and install the latest version of CLAN and if you still have problems, then please email to the the CHAT files that causes problem.

Leonid.

Katherine Vindas

Oct 30, 2013, 2:06:47 PM10/30/13
to chib...@googlegroups.com