water valves under galley

Dan Gilch

Nov 13, 2021, 8:27:57 AM11/13/21
to Catalina355

valves.jpg
I recently found these water valves under the galley and am not sure what they are for.
The water lines seem to be going back to the head for the sink and fresh water flush toilet.
Have seen older posts about adding valves to drain water from the water tanks into the main bilge but this does not look like that project.
Anybody know what these are for?
Thanks...
Dan

bill pittore

Nov 13, 2021, 9:49:56 AM11/13/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
 These valves are on the pressurized side of the water system and if you do your own winterization you can use them to drain the water lines on the pressurized side of the water system.  Here’s an excellent post on winterizing which discusses this: https://groups.google.com/g/catalina355/c/KuJ8DeNGaKo/m/JfzoLp60qdQJ

Bill

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en

If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/379e14ce-db35-4882-a4dd-06b5ceed284an%40googlegroups.com.
<valves.jpg>

Dan Gilch

Nov 29, 2021, 4:11:59 PM11/29/21
to Catalina355
Thanks Bill.
That link to Jon's procedure is most helpful too.
He mentions draining the muffler.....anybody know if that can be done while in the water or only if hauled out?
Dan

Jeff Hare

Nov 29, 2021, 7:31:13 PM11/29/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
No problem doing this in the water.  No danger, Super easy.

Jeff Hare

Juan Galan

Nov 29, 2021, 7:52:48 PM11/29/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Some years ago while at Wayfarer Marine in Camden Maine, I saw them getting boats ready for winterizing. For the engines they used antifreeze coolant in a container that engine would suck up. Seems like the best way as that way every water hose/area in your engine system is winterized.
Fortunately, all my boats are in Florida now so it is no longer a concern.
When I had a 53' in the Great Lakes, we stored her in heated storage[no winterizing] and in Maine , it was outboards which are easy to winterize - start them on land and let them run until dry!!

Delbert Patterson

Nov 29, 2021, 8:08:30 PM11/29/21
to Catalina355
Dan

Normally, water enters the muffler only via the engine's seawater cooling circuit.  If you drain the muffler while in the water, and then use the engine to get over to the launch well for haul-out, you will get water in the muffler all over again.  Drain it after haul-out to be sure.
Or...  After haul-out, I jam a length of 1/2 inch OD clear plastic tubing into the seawater intake port from outside the boat.  A little Vaseline helps it go in easier and seals against vacuum leaks.  Then place the other end of the tube into jug of antifreeze.  Check and double check that the transmission is in neutral gear and start the engine.  The antifreeze will feed into the seawater cooling circuit and out the exhaust port.  I feed one gallon of -50 to displace the water, and follow up with a gallon of -100 to displace the diluted -50.  No need to drain the muffler because it will contain no water, only antifreeze.   You can tie a bucket off the stern rail and position it to catch the antifreeze as it exits the exhaust port (let the initial flow of water bypass the bucket and catch mostly just the antifreeze), and then pump the bucket contents through the head to protect the holding tank.  The same "tube in the intake port" trick can be used to pump a gallon of -50 through the head intake system.  Just hold the "flush" button until the jug is empty.  As a final step, I remove and drain the two intake strainers (one for the engine, the other for the head), and remove the impeller from the seawater cooling pump so that it won't marinate in antifreeze all winter.

Del Patterson
Symphony (#100)

Jeffrey Hare

Nov 30, 2021, 8:26:56 AM11/30/21
to Catalina355
How about an easier setup?  :)  I've used a similar process (same jug) on my C320 for 20 years.

For the 355 I used an old seawater strainer bowl without the screen and added a garden hose fitting to the bottom.  Note: the cracks in this old filter bowl here are surface crazing and don't go through.  I could have used a new bowl, but this one works fine.

20211020_203134.jpg

 I have a jug with a short section of clear hose with a hole on the top that I can pour in antifreeze when winterizing and stick a hose or showerhead in to keep adding water when running the engine on land in the spring. Just spin off the raw water filter bowl, spin on the new one, connect the hose,  pour a gallon or so of antifreeze in the jug and open the valve on the jug. I run the engine until water stops coming out of the exhaust, then run for another 15 seconds to be sure everything's out.  I got a tiny amount of antifreeze out of the muffler drain with my shop vac.  Unstrapped it and tilted it towards the drain.  It wasn't enough to have caused any issues.  Maybe a cup or so total was left behind after running the engine.

20211021_114059.jpg

Jeff Hare
C355 #17 Solstice
Formerly C320 #809 Woodbine II

Jeffrey Hare

Nov 30, 2021, 8:36:05 AM11/30/21
to Catalina355
To make one of these filter assemblies, I bought a copper garden hose thread to copper pipe solder fitting from HW store.  I drilled a hole carefully in the bottom of the filter and pushed the fitting through.  Then poured in about 1/4" of RTV silicone to seal and hold the fitting in place.
20211020_203032.jpg

Phil Kling

Nov 30, 2021, 9:02:30 AM11/30/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com