Reading course?

Jeremy Weissmann

Jun 21, 2020, 11:02:38 PM6/21/20
to mathmeth
Would anybody be interested in doing a reading course where we work through a book (in calculational or traditional mathematics), presenting sections, working on problems, discussing expositions style, maybe trying to apply formalism, etc?

If so, what subjects or books interest you?

Best,

+j

Jamie Oglethorpe

Jun 22, 2020, 2:14:09 AM6/22/20
to calculationa...@googlegroups.com
I am interested. It has been a long time since I have done more than a
few toy proofs, so I cannot recommend any texts. I had some fun
formulating a calculus for open and closed sets from an introduction to
topology. I don't have any of that any more, but I remember my distaste
for the infinite sets used in the text, instead positing small finite
sets when I needed counterexamples. I recast the axioms in a form
inspired by EWD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AClosure_(topology)#Alternative_characterization

I think this would be a way to proceed with a more classical text.

Jamie O

Lucas Brunno Luna

Jun 23, 2020, 10:09:56 PM6/23/20
to Calculational Mathematics
Dear Jeremy,

One must admit that it is extremely kind of you to make such an intriguing proposal. You have sparked my interest. There are a number of subjects of which my knowledge is very limited, and I would like to make myself more familiar with such areas. We could pick one of following:
  • Trigonometry;
  • Algebra, and specially what concerns polynomials and their roots;
  • Matrices (also in connection with linear equations; possibly with linear algebra in general).
I do not have any texts on these subjects, though. But if I could interest you in helping me out with the above, I would be willing to hear about your suggestions on how we might assist ourselves in getting acquainted with and in improving our expertise in these matters.

All the best, everyone.

MS

Jun 23, 2020, 10:17:19 PM6/23/20
to calculationa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy

I have been following these posts for quite some time, very interesting discussions you all have. Some of the Discrete proofs I really wish I understood,
also I am looking for the practical purpose of these complex proofs, what insight is to be drawn. Where are they applied in Engineering applications?

I am happy to participate in your exercise, what I want to get out of it Practical Insights into the nature of the proofs and where it is used and why it's important?

Let us know

Mahesh

Kevin

Jun 24, 2020, 9:25:16 AM6/24/20
to Calculational Mathematics
Hi Jeremy,

I think that's a nice idea. Suggestions: real analysis, metric spaces, concrete mathematics on the one hand; PCPS, On a Method on the other. I'm interested to read your suggestions...

Best regards,
Kevin

Jeremy Weissmann

Jun 24, 2020, 11:31:12 AM6/24/20
to mathmeth
Hi all,

I created a short poll to see what sort of topics people are interested in. Let me know!

+j

Jeremy Weissmann

Jun 24, 2020, 12:52:40 PM6/24/20
to mathmeth
Also hopefully it is clear from the poll that you can select multiple answers. Choose anything you're interested in.  Thanks for responding!

Jeremy Weissmann

Jun 24, 2020, 2:42:47 PM6/24/20
to mathmeth
I've added in "Graph Theory" on someone's request. Keep submitting and I'll make a decision on Friday.

+j