Problems with BOINC 7.4.14 on android

Eric J Korpela

Oct 1, 2014, 4:08:44 PM10/1/14
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu
Don't know if all of these are known problems.

1.  When attaching a project, the project menu always displays in portrait mode.

2.  When attaching a project, there doesn't seem to be a way to attach using an existing account.

3.  There's no obvious way to attach to a project by URL.

4.  There's no obvious way to detach from a project.

Joachim Fritzsch

Oct 1, 2014, 4:22:46 PM10/1/14
to Eric J Korpela, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Eric J Korpela
<kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Don't know if all of these are known problems.
>
> 1. When attaching a project, the project menu always displays in portrait
> mode.
That is by intention, it makes the layout much easier.

> 2. When attaching a project, there doesn't seem to be a way to attach using
> an existing account.
Why not? Creating a new account or using an existing one is
transparent. If a set of existing credentials is supplied, it should
use that account.

> 3. There's no obvious way to attach to a project by URL.
Also by intention. That is not standard use-case. The location is
unchanged to the previous versions, the three dots in the projects
tab.

> 4. There's no obvious way to detach from a project.
Tapping on a project in the project tab -> Remove.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/CAKFuvzbxibjcyVzkvf8XiQsT5D6h2zLV38a8SDPYeSQMBZBdzg%40mail.gmail.com.

Eric J Korpela

Oct 1, 2014, 4:33:54 PM10/1/14
to Joachim Fritzsch, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu
<kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Don't know if all of these are known problems.
>
> 1.  When attaching a project, the project menu always displays in portrait
> mode.
That is by intention, it makes the layout much easier.

Except on device that are meant to be used in landscape mode.  (i.e. any android device with an attached keyboard, some mounted music player, some devices in docks.)

> 2.  When attaching a project, there doesn't seem to be a way to attach using
> an existing account.
Why not? Creating a new account or using an existing one is
transparent. If a set of existing credentials is supplied, it should
use that account.

In that case it should accept a blank username.  The username is not an account identifier.  If an account is not found, then it can prompt for a username.

> 3.  There's no obvious way to attach to a project by URL.
Also by intention. That is not standard use-case. The location is
unchanged to the previous versions, the three dots in the projects
tab.

 There are no "three dots" in the projects tab.  Just the + sign to add projects and a suspend button.  Regardless, it's confusing not to have it as part of the "add project" function.

> 4.  There's no obvious way to detach from a project.
Tapping on a project in the project tab -> Remove.

 I see it now.  The scrollbar on that menu is not very obvious.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/CAKFuvzbxibjcyVzkvf8XiQsT5D6h2zLV38a8SDPYeSQMBZBdzg%40mail.gmail.com.

Joachim Fritzsch

Oct 1, 2014, 5:19:24 PM10/1/14
to Eric J Korpela, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Eric J Korpela
<kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Joachim Fritzsch
> <joachim....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Eric J Korpela
>> <kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> > Don't know if all of these are known problems.
>> >
>> > 1. When attaching a project, the project menu always displays in
>> > portrait
>> > mode.
>> That is by intention, it makes the layout much easier.
>

> Except on device that are meant to be used in landscape mode. (i.e. any
> android device with an attached keyboard, some mounted music player, some
> devices in docks.)

That's a good point I haven't thought of.

>> > 2. When attaching a project, there doesn't seem to be a way to attach
>> > using
>> > an existing account.
>> Why not? Creating a new account or using an existing one is
>> transparent. If a set of existing credentials is supplied, it should
>> use that account.
>

> In that case it should accept a blank username. The username is not an
> account identifier. If an account is not found, then it can prompt for a
> username.

That is due to WCG support. There the user name is the account identifier.

>> > 3. There's no obvious way to attach to a project by URL.
>> Also by intention. That is not standard use-case. The location is
>> unchanged to the previous versions, the three dots in the projects
>> tab.
>

> There are no "three dots" in the projects tab. Just the + sign to add
> projects and a suspend button. Regardless, it's confusing not to have it as
> part of the "add project" function.

If you are on a device with a physical menu button, than it does not
display three dots in the top bar, but opens the same menu when that
button is pressed.

Jord van der Elst

Oct 1, 2014, 5:21:18 PM10/1/14
to Joachim Fritzsch, Eric J Korpela, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Answers in-line.

-- Jord van der Elst.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Joachim Fritzsch
<joachim....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Eric J Korpela
> <kor...@ssl.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> 3. There's no obvious way to attach to a project by URL.
> Also by intention. That is not standard use-case. The location is
> unchanged to the previous versions, the three dots in the projects
> tab.

We had a thread about that on the BOINC forums a while ago.
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=9582
It'll have screen shots of things I see and what my Huawei actually looks like.

On my phone I have to use the three stripes **on the phone** to get
the "Add project by URL" menu.
Others can again use the 'hamburger' in the top left (?)

So I use the hamburger on the left to get to the menu, do Projects,
have to do three stripes on phone (also called hamburger?), then the
Add project by URL option opens.
Not very intuitive. A previous version used long and short taps on the
Projects window. That's more intuitive for a smart phone.

>> 4. There's no obvious way to detach from a project.
> Tapping on a project in the project tab -> Remove.

Here as well, I have to press the three stripes **on the phone** to
get the "Update", "Suspend", "Allow new tasks", "Reset" and "Remove"
options.
Neither long, nor short pressing on the project will do anything.

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/CAKFuvzbxibjcyVzkvf8XiQsT5D6h2zLV38a8SDPYeSQMBZBdzg%40mail.gmail.com.
> (near bottom of page) enter your email address.

Jord van der Elst

Oct 1, 2014, 5:35:59 PM10/1/14
to Joachim Fritzsch, Eric J Korpela, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Joachim Fritzsch
<joachim....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Also by intention. That is not standard use-case. The location is
>>> unchanged to the previous versions, the three dots in the projects
>>> tab.
>>

>> There are no "three dots" in the projects tab. Just the + sign to add
>> projects and a suspend button. Regardless, it's confusing not to have it as
>> part of the "add project" function.
>>

> If you are on a device with a physical menu button, than it does not
> display three dots in the top bar, but opens the same menu when that
> button is pressed.

So what will the documentation state about this? Something like: "To
add a project by URL, you click the three dots next to Tasks, chose
Projects, click the three dots next to Tasks again and add the project
by URL. If this does not work for you, try clicking the three dots
next to Task, chose Projects, click the menu button on your device and
now add the project by URL." ?

Why the need for two different places for one such function? Doesn't
every Android device have a menu button, be it either at the left or
right bottom?
At least when these functions are all put under the menu button, it's
easier to explain to people how to get there. If only to not get into
the situation in the thread I pointed out, where I told a person how
to get there from my viewpoint, not knowing there was another way to
get there on different devices. And then half and half getting into a
heated discussion as others see it from how their device does it, so
then my method must be wrong. Or my device broken.

Eric J Korpela

Oct 1, 2014, 5:46:58 PM10/1/14
to Jord van der Elst, Joachim Fritzsch, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, no.  The menu button has been deprecated on new devices, having been replaced by the "three dots" "button" for compatibility with older apps.  Most new phones are 3 button (back,home,recent apps), one button, or zero button (3 buttons emulated on the touch screen with the "three dots" button appearing when necessary).  The search button is entirely gone.  I'm guessing new android apps aren't supposed to use the "three dots" "button".

Of course this makes new apps confusing on older devices as the menu button does nothing, but does not disappear as an indication that there is no menu function.  That's why, on the older device I was using, there was no "three dots", but also no indication that the menu button had any function.

Jord van der Elst

Oct 1, 2014, 5:55:28 PM10/1/14
to Eric J Korpela, Joachim Fritzsch, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, but then really: if the buttons are going away, shouldn't we
make BOINC behave the same on all devices, be it those still with the
buttons and those without the buttons?
Or is that not possible due to programming language idiosyncrasies
between Android versions? Functions not being available on all Android
versions?

-- Jord van der Elst.

Eric J Korpela

Oct 1, 2014, 6:19:10 PM10/1/14
to Jord van der Elst, Joachim Fritzsch, boinc-...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boin...@ssl.berkeley.edu, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
The most common route in the apps I use seems to be not using the menu/three dots button at all.  The second most common seems to be to duplicating the function of the menu/three dots button with a three dots or other button in the menu bar at the top of the app display.