Open source stay at home

1 view

tom r lopes

May 2, 2020, 5:29:54 PM5/2/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Just saw this https://opensource.com/article/20/5/free-software-communication

List of open source remote communication.

As you know I'm going to try a Jitsi meeting tomorrow. I'm going to use the meet.jit.si server but it is possible too run your own Jitsi meet server.

Right now it seems that Zoom is the most popular one. I looked at it myself and was taken aback at having to download and run something. But it turns out you can run zoom from the browser.
Go to a zoom link. You get a pop up to run something. Cancel that and find "click here if doesn't open". Cancel the pop up again. Now near the bottom is "run in browser".

Thomas

Rick Moen

May 2, 2020, 6:34:25 PM5/2/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> Just saw this
> https://opensource.com/article/20/5/free-software-communication
>
> List of open source remote communication.

Coolness. I've seen that before at FSF's blog, and it's a good article.

> As you know I'm going to try a Jitsi meeting tomorrow. I'm going to use the
> meet.jit.si server but it is possible too run your own Jitsi meet server.

Plan on many participants having to spend a lot of their initial session
debugging their local microphone & camera setups. (This is true with
any videoconferencing, not something specific to Jitsi Meet.)

> Right now it seems that Zoom is the most popular one.

Reasonably so -- but it should be borne in mind that they have a
business angle: Free-of-charge public sessions are generously offered,
but with a 40 minute duration limit per videoconference session.

tom r lopes

May 2, 2020, 7:36:55 PM5/2/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 3:34 PM Rick Moen <ri...@linuxmafia.com> wrote:
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> Just saw this
> https://opensource.com/article/20/5/free-software-communication
>
> List of open source remote communication.

Coolness.  I've seen that before at FSF's blog, and it's a good article.

Yes it is the same article.  The author just reprinted it on opensource.com
I was out (eh violating stay at home) and it looked better on mobile.

> As you know I'm going to try a Jitsi meeting tomorrow. I'm going to use the
> meet.jit.si server but it is possible too run your own Jitsi meet server.

Plan on many participants having to spend a lot of their initial session
debugging their local microphone & camera setups.  (This is true with
any videoconferencing, not something specific to Jitsi Meet.)

It is likely to be just me talking to myself.  But it is very possible that
I'll have trouble conferencing  to myself (The mind is getting foggy now)

Thomas

Rick Moen

May 2, 2020, 7:50:39 PM5/2/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
Quoting tom r lopes (tomr...@gmail.com):

> It is likely to be just me talking to myself. But it is very possible that
> I'll have trouble conferencing to myself (The mind is getting foggy now)

Assuming you send out the meeting details, and I see them in time, I'd
be delighted to join you. I've done a lot of both Jitsi Meet and Zoom,
so my own setup is tested-good, and maybe can help verify that you're
getting across the video link to me and to anyone else attending.

--
Cheers, @kareem_carr: "I discovered a new statistical law, that says that
Rick Moen all jokes on Twitter are based on other jokes on Twitter."

tom r lopes

May 2, 2020, 7:57:00 PM5/2/20
to berke...@googlegroups.com
It will be meet.jit.si/berkeleypi