Issue #224: bean-format: allow specifying just the currency column (blais/beancount)

Jakob Schnitzer

Mar 7, 2018, 11:35:19 AM3/7/18
to bean...@googlegroups.com
New issue 224: bean-format: allow specifying just the currency column
https://bitbucket.org/blais/beancount/issues/224/bean-format-allow-specifying-just-the

Jakob Schnitzer:

Currently, bean-format will determine the maximum width of prefix and number "columns" and uses this to align the currencies at column number `prefix (left-aligned) + 2 + number_width (right-aligned) + 1` if possible. The recently added command line options allow specifying some preferred values for these widths. I find these options a bit complicated and propose adding the "simpler" option `currency-column` (or some other name): For this the algorithm would be adapted to insert the necessary number of spaces between the prefix and number so that the currency ends up in the given column. I think if one wants to set these alignment options by hand, this is really the value that one is interested in (and one doesn't need to study the code to see what the options actually mean and where the +3 comes from). Currently, to achieve this, one has to do some trial and error to see which combination of prefix-width and num-width works best.

Note that this would also mean that the columns could overlap as follows. I find this to be a slight improvement, but one might also see this as a disadvantage.

longlonglonglonglonglonglonglongprefix 10.00 USD
shortprefix 10.00000000000000000000 USD

[I'd be happy to implement this in a PR]

Martin Blais

Mar 7, 2018, 12:41:01 PM3/7/18
to Beancount
+1
That's also getting on my nerves when I use it