X15 Boot via USB

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 10:54:51 AM9/28/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I just purchased an X15 and the EMMC memory is rapidly filling up.

1. Is there a way to boot from an external USB hard drive?
or
2. Can someone provide more detail directions on switching boot sequence to boot directly from eSATA?
The reference manual is very vague on this. You need to unsolder and resolder resistors to act as jumpers? There are perforated holes in the circuit board where the resistors and jumpers are supposed to be. Are the resistors supplied? Are they on the board? If so where are they? What are their values in Ohms? How are the perforations on the board numbered 1-3 from left to right or right to left? This needs to be much more detailed. Why would you design a board that make switching the boot sequence so difficult? How about just putting in some removable jumpers!

Any detailed help and direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

MAB

Gerald Coley

Sep 28, 2017, 11:24:02 AM9/28/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Check the schematic Page 13. There is a table showing where the jumpers go to affect the booting sequence. All you have to do is solder a wire into those holes to change the setting. For SATA you just need to install one wire in J3 position 1-2 and remove R444. The lines in read show the default which is set by the resistors onboard.

Gerald

Jason Kridner

Sep 28, 2017, 12:28:11 PM9/28/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I just run my rootfs off of USB3 myself. You can adjust the /boot/uEnv.txt file on the eMMC to specify a different root.

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 2:02:04 PM9/28/17
to BeagleBoard

Hello Gerald,

Thank you for the quick reply. Can you review the image attached and confirm this is what I should do? Please refer to highlights in bright green. Any suggestions on unsoldering R444? Looks impossibly microscopic to remove or even unsolder without doing damage to the contiguous components.

Thanks

Marc

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2017, 2:02:11 PM9/28/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Jason,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what to put into the /boot/uEnv.txt file to do this? Do I install debian/OS image to the USB hard drive and just link to uEnv.txt to that? I would like to just install another image/OS on the USB drive and have the EMMC boot refer to that? Please advise on the best may to proceed.

Thanks

Marc

Gerald Coley

Sep 28, 2017, 2:13:35 PM9/28/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Looks OK.

As to small, there are smaller. You can take a soldering iron and heat one side and use the solder iron to lift the part up off the board. Takes about 30 seconds if you have done it before.

If not, you may want to find someone that has done it before.

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2017, 9:26:50 AM10/1/17
to BeagleBoard
 Hello Gerald,

I removed the resistor and placed a jumper between J3 1-2 attached a sata drive with a new debian image written via dd and am unable to boot. I'm getting a blank screen and the power LED comes on and the LED between the power connector and the RAM illuminates for just a few seconds and goes off. The status LEDs never illumitate. Am I fogetting something or did I just fry my X15?

Thanks

Marc

Gerald Coley

Oct 1, 2017, 9:31:13 AM10/1/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

I doubt you have fried it, but sounds like the SW is not writing to a register that keeps the board active, something that was put in place due to a silicon bug in the HW.  I suspect you do not have the correct UBoot or it is not reading the SATA correctly. It will time out and then shutdown.

Gerald

Oct 1, 2017, 3:49:08 PM10/1/17
to BeagleBoard
Sounds like I may missing something. I'm assuming u-boot would be on the debian image written to the SATA drive via dd? Do I need to install this separetly? The Beagle Bone Black is pretty straight foreward with good documentation. The X15 is not. Are there any more detailed instructions on-line that can take me through the install/boot process via eSATA. The reference manual documentation is not adequate.

Thanks for your help.

Marc

Gerald Coley

Oct 1, 2017, 3:52:22 PM10/1/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

All I can do is say what the symptoms you are seeing could be caused by, not setting  a register in the PMIC on boot up. I cannot answer as to what the SW is or is not doing in your installation.

Robert Nelson

Oct 1, 2017, 4:35:35 PM10/1/17
to Beagle Board, mab.mo...@gmail.com
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM, <mab.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like I may missing something. I'm assuming u-boot would be on the
> debian image written to the SATA drive via dd?

Sure, if you "patch" u-boot and "build" it for that situation, it
would work. The current U-Boot binary we ship for the debian images
does NOT support booting from the esata drive. Initially we did
support loading u-boot from the microSD and then scanning the sata for
a secondary rootfs but ran into compatibly problems with crappy sata
drives..

> Do I need to install this
> separetly? The Beagle Bone Black is pretty straight foreward with good
> documentation. The X15 is not. Are there any more detailed instructions
> on-line that can take me through the install/boot process via eSATA. The
> reference manual documentation is not adequate.

Here's the documentation:

What you "can" do, start with our image on the eMMC, run the
'mv_rootfs_dev_sda.sh" script found under
/opt/scripts/tools/non-mmc-rootfs/

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/non-mmc-rootfs/mv_rootfs_dev_sda.sh

After this you have two options to load from the sata drive:

Option 1: (u-boot, kernel, device tree is loaded from eMMC/microSD,
but rootfs = sata)

Then edit /boot/uEnv.txt and have the uuid=ZYZ point to your /dev/sda1
partition.

Option 2: (u-boot, is loaded from eMMC/microSD, but sata = kernel,
device tree, rootfs)

Follow these directions:

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard-X15#BeagleBoard-X15-Bootloader:U-Boot

and change these lines in the patch:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/Bootloader-Builder/blob/master/patches/ti-2017.01/0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch#L1442-L1444

+ "echo usb_boot is currently disabled;" \
+ "setenv interface scsi; " \
+ "echo scsi_boot is currently disabled;" \

to:

+ "run usb_boot;" \
+ "setenv interface scsi; " \
+ "run scsi_boot;" \

and the U-Boot loaded over the microSD/eMMC will scan the usb bus and
sata bus.. (usb bus powers the sata bus, so it has to be run first)..

But be forewarned, Option 2 turned out to be a little un-reliable,
especially which cheap sata drives... (things might get better when
we jump from u-boot v2017.01 -> v2017.11 in the coming weeks)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 10:22:44 AM10/2/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Robert,

Thank you for the reply. Let me first make sure that I have followed the correct procedure for booting from eSATA. Please review and let me know if I did anything wrong or I missed a step...

1. R444 resistor removed
2. Jumper placed on J3 between 1-2 and soldered
3. X15 debian image downloaded unzipped and image written to SATA via dd.
4. eSATA cable connected to X15 and SATA drive and attempted to power on and boot.

This procedure failed as I mentioned in the original post. Thre is mention of removing R442-R444 in the reference manual. Was I supposed to remove R442 R443 and R444 and just place the single jumper on J3 between 1 and 2? This is what the reference manual implied and I'm interpretting the reference manual to place jumpers on J4 between 2-3 and on J6 between 2-3. This is how I am interpretting the instructions on the official reference manual. However, I was advised by another post to just remove the R444 resistor and jump J3 between 1-2.

If I made the hardware modifications correctly this leaves me with the issue of a board that does not boot and there is no way of going back to soldering the original resistor (destroyed during removal). No access to eMMC and a dead board. I have not tried burning the same image to an SD card and hope it boots. I can try that next but I have a gut feeling that would fail as well. So, I don't have a way of implementing your instructions above without a functional eMMC and ability to boot from SATA or potentially inability to boot from SD either?

Will future debian images include the boot software instead of having to install them? This may be my only option.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your intruction and response.

Marc

Robert Nelson

Oct 2, 2017, 10:44:31 AM10/2/17
to Beagle Board
On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 5:22 PM, <mab.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Thank you for the reply. Let me first make sure that I have followed the
> correct procedure for booting from eSATA. Please review and let me know if I
> did anything wrong or I missed a step...
>
> 1. R444 resistor removed
> 2. Jumper placed on J3 between 1-2 and soldered
> 3. X15 debian image downloaded unzipped and image written to SATA via dd.
> 4. eSATA cable connected to X15 and SATA drive and attempted to power on and
> boot.
>
> This procedure failed as I mentioned in the original post. Thre is mention
> of removing R442-R444 in the reference manual. Was I supposed to remove R442
> R443 and R444 and just place the single jumper on J3 between 1 and 2? This
> is what the reference manual implied and I'm interpretting the reference
> manual to place jumpers on J4 between 2-3 and on J6 between 2-3. This is how
> I am interpretting the instructions on the official reference manual.
> However, I was advised by another post to just remove the R444 resistor and
> jump J3 between 1-2.

Honestly, you can get a replacement R444 for like a penny (or even 10
for a penny)...

TI doesn't even "fully" support this configuration yet..

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_U-Boot_User%27s_Guide#Using_SD.2C_eMMC_or_USB_storage

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_U-Boot_User%27s_Guide#Using_SATA

> If I made the hardware modifications correctly this leaves me with the issue
> of a board that does not boot and there is no way of going back to soldering
> the original resistor (destroyed during removal). No access to eMMC and a
> dead board. I have not tried burning the same image to an SD card and hope
> it boots. I can try that next but I have a gut feeling that would fail as
> well. So, I don't have a way of implementing your instructions above without
> a functional eMMC and ability to boot from SATA or potentially inability to
> boot from SD either?
>
> Will future debian images include the boot software instead of having to
> install them? This may be my only option.

When v2017.11-rc1 get's tagged, i will re-enable it, so we will see.
One of the issues we ran into with v2017.01 when this option was
enabled, some board/esata combations would "lock-up" on poweron..
Thus the image was broken on more boards then users who used the
esata...

> Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your
> intruction and response.

While the "boot" room, supports loading files from the sata drive at
bootup. It's not fully enabled/tested in U-Boot yet..

There's also a bug here (LCPD-5517):

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Processor_SDK_Linux_U-Boot_Release_Notes

LCPD-5517 P3-Medium Board fails to load bootloader sometimes when
eSATA is connected Connectivity UBOOT AM572x

mab.mo...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2017, 6:33:27 PM10/2/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Robert,

Is the R444 a reference to the resistor number or is this actually a surface mount with a resistance of 444 ohms?
I'm not sure I have the dexterity or vision to solder that small of a component back on and I'm not that old.

It sounds like my best bet would be to wait for 2017.11 to be released (I assume this translates to Nov-2017 release?) and dd the image to the SATA drive and try again.

You may have mentioned this already but will the current Debian X15 image work on the board if I dd it to an SD card and try to boot. My current configuration is set to SATA then SD so I am hoping it will just default to the SD for boot once the SATA fails

Thanks again

Angel Sosa

Jan 15, 2018, 4:26:15 PM1/15/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi Everyone,

 I am new to the X15. I have an XM since it came out and have done many projects with it. I have recently purchased and X15. My desire is to boot from a SATA drive connected to the ESATA port. I have verified when booted from the MMC card the SATA drive is bootable, can mount and it works well. I imaged the SATA drive with the X15 image, In my case SDA1  is the first partition created. I have removed R444 and placed a jumper I believe what is J3 pins 1-2 and have left the R444 resister solder points/mounts empty. When I try to boot off of the SATA drive the board times out and powers down. The instructions are  a little vague on the on instructions with in the user manual. I had a similar problem when the partition was enlarged on the MMC card to 32 gigs, the boot process would timeout. I used the grow_partition.sh script which fixed the time out issue with the MMC card. If I hold the X15 board orienting J3, J4,J6 at the upper right corner hand corner, And join pins 1-2 -- most left hole moving right towards the center  pin, there orientation is horizontal I believe. The board as I mention powers up and then times out and shuts down. I have tried with the MMC in and out no avail. I have also purchased two boards at a pretty steep price and would like to pass them out to family members with the hopes of purchasing additional boards. But the ESATA/SATA issue is stopping me and I don't want to return the second board to DIGIKEY. I cant return the first board well because I modified it by removing the resistor.

Is the image I used on the SATA drive incorrect or need an adjustment? Are the PIN orientation as I understand it incorrect.

Held the X15 so that the ON switch is the upper left and jumpers are upper right hand corner.

The drive spins up when I power up the board. So I know the ESATA port is powering up with the board.
                      1 2 3
| Ethernet   |   | XX0 | J3 Short 1 and 2
| Connector|   | 000 | J4
|                 |   | 000 | J6

Drive Manufacturer is the SEAGATE IRON WOLF.

Image:
bbx15-debian-9.0-lxqt-armhf-2017-07-02-4gb.img.xz,
I have also run ( apt-get -y update && and apt-get -y upgrade )

Can you please help? Is there an alternate way of booting off of the ESATA port

Thanks in advance

Angel

Angel Sosa

Jan 15, 2018, 4:26:15 PM1/15/18
to BeagleBoard

marc bellazzini

Jan 16, 2018, 11:51:57 AM1/16/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Angel,
Mine is still collecting dust after my failed attempt at booting off the eSATA and making the modifications you have also done. Very disappointing since it was an expensive purchase. I am also awaiting a solution. The directions on booting from eSATA were not very clear.

Good luck!

John Syne

Jan 16, 2018, 9:55:50 PM1/16/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I read that someone did manage to get the X15 to boot from esata when using a powered esata interface. Apparently the power to the esata connector isn’t available during uboot and hence the need for a powered esata interface. I haven’t tried this myself, but I do recall someone on the ARM Linux forum working on this.

Regards,
John

John Syne

Jan 16, 2018, 10:10:25 PM1/16/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Here is the discussion I read about this issue.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard-x15/FarRcmkeAI8

Regards,
John

John Syne

Jan 16, 2018, 10:13:18 PM1/16/18
to 'Bernard Champion' via BeagleBoard

Angel Sosa

Jan 18, 2018, 7:37:26 AM1/18/18
to BeagleBoard
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:54:51 AM UTC-4, mab.mo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased an X15 and the EMMC memory is rapidly filling up.
>
> 1. Is there a way to boot from an external USB hard drive?
> or
> 2. Can someone provide more detail directions on switching boot sequence to boot directly from eSATA?
> The reference manual is very vague on this. You need to unsolder and resolder resistors to act as jumpers? There are perforated holes in the circuit board where the resistors and jumpers are supposed to be. Are the resistors supplied? Are they on the board? If so where are they? What are their values in Ohms? How are the perforations on the board numbered 1-3 from left to right or right to left? This needs to be much more detailed. Why would you design a board that make switching the boot sequence so difficult? How about just putting in some removable jumpers!
>
> Any detailed help and direction would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> MAB

Hi Marc,
I was able to finally get past the issue. Please see below for my long
winded directions:

1. Make sure your micro sd card has enough space.
2. Remove the micro sd card.
3. Boot off the emmc, once up and running,
4. In a terminal session "sudo" to root ( password = temppwd ) and stay as
root for the remainder of the steps.
5. Insert the micro sd card into the sd slot, umount the microsd card if the
O/S mounts it automatically.
6. "dd" the X15 image to a 32 gig micro sd card once "dd"
is complete,
7. cd into "/opt/scripts/tools"
8. Theres is a script called "grow_partition.sh"
9. I modified this script so that it looks at the micro sd card. In my case
the micro sd card is "/dev/mmcblk0". The line you are looking for
"drive=/dev/mmcblk0". I modified it so that theres is no mistake on which
storage device it will do it's work on. This may not be necessary
in your case.
10. Execute the script in the end it will expand the partition to the full
32 gigs.
11. Leave the micro sd inserted.
12. RE-Boot your X15, if it works your system's boot drive is the micro sd.
13. In a terminal session, "sudo into root and stay as root"
14. Connect your SATA or ESATA drive.
15. Make sure it is mountable and viewable.
14. Cd into "cd /opt/scripts/tools/developers"
15. Run the following command "git pull", once complete,
16. Run the following command "./secondary_rootfs.sh, once complete,
17. Mount the SATA/ESATA drive.
18. You will need to edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file on your microsd card,
19. comment the "uuid" line on the micro sd card and copy the one
that is on the SATA/ESATA drive, it's location will be something like
"/your_mount_point/sda1/boot/uEnv.txt". Dont replace the file!!
20. You should be able to reboot and the microsd card will now redirect
the boot process to your SATA/ESATA drive.
21. If you want to boot back to the micro sd card just comment the "uuid line.
22. You can also modify the emmc/boot/uEnv.txt file and it will redirect to
the SATA/ESATA drive.

Let me know how it works out for you

Good Luck
Angel

Angel Sosa

Jan 18, 2018, 7:37:26 AM1/18/18
to BeagleBoard
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 11:51:57 AM UTC-5, marc bellazzini wrote:
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:54:51 AM UTC-4, mab.mo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased an X15 and the EMMC memory is rapidly filling up.
>
> 1. Is there a way to boot from an external USB hard drive?
> or
> 2. Can someone provide more detail directions on switching boot sequence to boot directly from eSATA?
> The reference manual is very vague on this. You need to unsolder and resolder resistors to act as jumpers? There are perforated holes in the circuit board where the resistors and jumpers are supposed to be. Are the resistors supplied? Are they on the board? If so where are they? What are their values in Ohms? How are the perforations on the board numbered 1-3 from left to right or right to left? This needs to be much more detailed. Why would you design a board that make switching the boot sequence so difficult? How about just putting in some removable jumpers!
>
> Any detailed help and direction would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> MAB

Hi Marc,
One other detail, The SATA/ESATA is powered with an external power supply.
The ESATA port is not providing power to the drive itself. And in addition since I de-soldered R444 and added the headers to J3,J4 and J6, pins to 2-3 are shorted.

Angel Sosa

Jan 18, 2018, 7:37:34 AM1/18/18
to BeagleBoard
> On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 10:54:51 AM UTC-4, mab.mo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just purchased an X15 and the EMMC memory is rapidly filling up.
>
> 1. Is there a way to boot from an external USB hard drive?
> or
> 2. Can someone provide more detail directions on switching boot sequence to boot directly from eSATA?
> The reference manual is very vague on this. You need to unsolder and resolder resistors to act as jumpers? There are perforated holes in the circuit board where the resistors and jumpers are supposed to be. Are the resistors supplied? Are they on the board? If so where are they? What are their values in Ohms? How are the perforations on the board numbered 1-3 from left to right or right to left? This needs to be much more detailed. Why would you design a board that make switching the boot sequence so difficult? How about just putting in some removable jumpers!
>
> Any detailed help and direction would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> MAB

Hi John,
I posted today a pretty comprihensive set of directions. Half are not actually needed for the actual work but it takes into account as if you were starting from ground zero. Please see down below.

Roger Quadros

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07:46 AM1/19/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, Angel Sosa
Hi Angel,
X15 board can provide power over eSATA. The USB host controller driver needs to be enabled for that though.
However the power may be limited. I don't remember exactly but I think it is 5V@1A.
This is not sufficient for eSATA hard drives, but eSATA SSDs should work fine I think.

To have rootfs working on eSATA you need to make the USB driver built-in the kernel or use a initrd.

These are the kernel options.

CONFIG_USB_COMMON=y
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_PLATFORM=y

CONFIG_USB_DWC3=y
CONFIG_USB_DWC3_DUAL_ROLE=y
CONFIG_USB_DWC3_OMAP=y

CONFIG_USB_GADGET=y

--
cheers,
-roger

Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki. Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki

Angel Sosa

Jan 20, 2018, 9:33:59 PM1/20/18
to BeagleBoard
I am with you. I didnt know the compiler config options. Thanks for letting me know.

Best Regards
Angel
Message has been deleted

Angel Sosa

Aug 19, 2021, 11:39:34 PM8/19/21
to BeagleBoard
Hi Every Body I am back on the beagle X15 and have done some nice stuff since I last commented on this message board. I would to take on the boot process from start to finish and document how it can be manipulated.  I understand according to the schematic document there a couple of resistors that should be removed in order to control the boot sequence even further. At the moment I am using /boot/uEnv.txt and /etc/fstab to control the boot sequence. But If I could control the boot sequence specifically from the  missing headers that would be great. I just need to know according to page 61 which resistors is the documentation referring to? The help would be deeply appreciated. I placed a pretty in depth post last year but I would like to take it to the next level.

Thanks in advance

Angel Sosa