BBEdit 15 ChatGPT Worksheets custom url

James Reynolds

Jan 10, 2024, 2:04:35 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
It would be great if ChatGPT worksheets worked with any OpenAI compatible API.

James Reynolds

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 10, 2024, 2:11:24 PMJan 10
to 'anotherhoward' via BBEdit Talk
So far over here it works with every OpenAI version I get credentials for.

What have you tried?

— Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

James Reynolds

Jan 10, 2024, 2:13:12 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
How do you specify a custom URL?

James
> --
> This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/145BCEF1-2ABB-4C2A-9986-214E0B1F66FE%40cruzio.com.

James Reynolds

Jan 10, 2024, 2:15:06 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I was clear in my request. By "OpenAI API" I meant using a product other than OpenAI, which would require a custom URL pointing to the different API server.

James

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jan 10, 2024, 3:21:17 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I tried playing with it as well, but I must be missing something: I can’t find anywhere in the Settings where to enter my credentials and API key and I never get a prompt with the ChatGTP Worksheet either
Right now, the worksheet behaves just like a text worksheet for me… Nothing ever happens. And I searched through the manual, of course, and I can’t see what I might be missing. It should be very obvious, but right now it’s driving me positively insane.

Corentin

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 10, 2024, 3:28:45 PMJan 10
to 'anotherhoward' via BBEdit Talk
See Settings -> ChatGPT Worksheets to enter your API key.

When I try to use an OpenAI version that I don’t have the API key for, the sheet returns with a message like this:

The model `gpt-4-32k` does not exist or you do not have access to it. Learn more: <https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4>.

See if that link helps.

(The payments to OpenAI are minimal, in case that’s a concern.)

HTH
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/B344F122-A0BC-4BD5-A75C-E452371F6AD0%40gmail.com.

Rich Siegel

Jan 10, 2024, 3:28:48 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
On 10 Jan 2024, at 15:20, Corentin Cras-Méneur wrote:

> I tried playing with it as well, but I must be missing something: I can’t find anywhere in the Settings where to enter my credentials and API key and I never get a prompt with the ChatGTP Worksheet either
> Right now, the worksheet behaves just like a text worksheet for me… Nothing ever happens. And I searched through the manual, of course, and I can’t see what I might be missing. It should be very obvious, but right now it’s driving me positively insane.

BBEdit will prompt you for your API key the first time you send a query from a ChatGPT worksheet.

Please note that to send a query, you need to use the Enter key on a keyboard that has one, but Control-Return will suffice as well.

R.

--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <https://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they sedate me.
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 9.08.33 AM.png

Tim Gray

Jan 10, 2024, 3:29:57 PMJan 10
to BBEdit Talk
I had the same experience. Quitting BBEdit and trying again later worked. The first line you send causes a prompt to open where you can enter your API key.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/B344F122-A0BC-4BD5-A75C-E452371F6AD0%40gmail.com.

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jan 10, 2024, 3:35:06 PMJan 10
to 'Robert Janku' via BBEdit Talk
That’s the first place I looked at, but I have no field to enter an API key…
Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 15.32.52.png

Corentin

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jan 10, 2024, 3:35:58 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Enter!!! Of course!! (I used the Return key frantically before). It’s working now!

Corentin

Fabrizio Ferrari

Jan 10, 2024, 5:27:55 PMJan 10
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this. I also had issues to figure it out using the simple built-in keyboard of my MacBook.

The worksheet works great, but it’d be nice if we could query ChatGPT directly inside our code files, similarly to what Studio Code allows doing with COMMAND-I, or even just sending queries inside comments. That’d avoid copy & paste.

Thanks for this update!

Fab.