Can't get CharGPT to work on v15

Maxime Audet

Jan 9, 2024, 7:27:47 PMJan 9
to BBEdit Talk
Hey,

Just installed v15 and I'm trying ChatGPT feature. However, it doesn't seem to work, am I doing something wrong?

See attached recording.

Thanks!
bbgpt.mp4

François Schiettecatte

Jan 9, 2024, 7:35:15 PMJan 9
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Maxime

Control-Enter works for me.

François
> --
> This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/c4052bd3-14a2-45a6-8475-6539c4bb7878n%40googlegroups.com.
> <bbgpt.mp4>

Maxime Audet

Jan 9, 2024, 8:47:44 PMJan 9
to BBEdit Talk
It does work, thanks François!

Arthur Werry

Jan 11, 2024, 9:13:33 AMJan 11
to BBEdit Talk
>Control-Enter works for me.

I looked high and low for how to initiate a ChatGPT inquiry ... where in the help files does it say to use Control-Enter?

Rich Siegel

Jan 11, 2024, 9:32:42 AMJan 11
to BBEdit Talk
On 11 Jan 2024, at 8:44, Arthur Werry wrote:

>> Control-Enter works for me.
>
> I looked high and low for how to initiate a ChatGPT inquiry ... where in
> the help files does it say to use Control-Enter?

Page 397 of the user manual (via the Help menu) describes "Working with ChatGPT".

The "Enter" key (on full sized keyboards that have one) is conventional, but Control-Return is the factory default keyboard equivalent and works as well. "Control-Enter" doesn't do anything by default.

R.

--
Rich Siegel Bare Bones Software, Inc.
<sie...@barebones.com> <https://www.barebones.com/>

Someday I'll look back on all this and laugh... until they sedate me.

Jesse Shanks

Jan 11, 2024, 6:26:57 PMJan 11
to BBEdit Talk
Function - return works as well

Mark Hillen

Jan 12, 2024, 8:33:53 AMJan 12
to BBEdit Talk
CAn anyone get it to work with a model higher than GPT-3? I don't seem able to.

Kerri Hicks

Jan 12, 2024, 9:08:35 AMJan 12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I believe you have to have spent at least $1 to get access to GPT-4. (And I think paid ChatGPT+ subscribers count as having spent at least $1.) At least that's how I interpreted this:

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4

--Kerri

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.

Arthur Werry

Jan 12, 2024, 10:48:38 AMJan 12
to BBEdit Talk
Thank you, Rich.  I read on page 397 to press "Enter" ... I never realized that this didn't just mean to hit "Return."   Live and learn!   :-)

Steve Hodgson

Jan 12, 2024, 10:48:42 AMJan 12
to BBEdit Talk
I have a different problem. I have a ChatGPT Plus account, an API key setup in BBEdit, figured out the key combination to use but I get the error below:

You exceeded your current quota please check your plan and billing details.

If I switch to gpt-4 the error becomes:

The model `gpt-4` does not exist or you do not have access to it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Steve

François Schiettecatte

Jan 12, 2024, 10:57:56 AMJan 12
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Steve

I ran into the same issue, I am pretty sure that you have to pay for API usage, whereas access is free via a web browser.

Cheers

François
> --
> This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bbedit/8b5e6714-e10c-42b0-a091-35bfa2eb5eaen%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Hodgson

Jan 12, 2024, 11:08:17 AMJan 12
to BBEdit Talk
Figured it out - API needs to be primed with $$$. Doh!

Cheers,

Steve

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 12, 2024, 11:39:50 AMJan 12
to 'anotherhoward' via BBEdit Talk
Yes, you have to pay, but it is very inexpensive. As Kerri’s earlier post mentions, OpenAI subscribers only need to have paid $1 USD. Here’s that link again:

<https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4>

I’m currently doing code review and test development using gpt-3.5-turbo and gpt-4.

I find it helpful, but I haven’t dug much into other LLM services so don’t really have much to compare to.

I also use BBEdit worksheets a lot, so the interface (select the query, control-return = enter, etc) is familiar. I now have several chat sheets saved, each devoted to a particular topic. The sheets become a durable record of queries and answers/suggestions; it's great to be able to review the earlier conversations.

— Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 12, 2024, 11:49:48 AMJan 12
to 'anotherhoward' via BBEdit Talk
I see this on that openai linked page:

How do I access the GPT-4 API?
If you're a Pay-As-You-Go customer and you've made a successful payment of $1 or more, you'll be able to access the GPT-4 API (8k).

ChatGPT Plus
ChatGPT Plus subscribers will get GPT-4 access on chat.openai.com with a usage cap. We will dynamically adjust the exact usage cap depending on demand and system performance in practice. As of January 5th 2024, GPT-4 has a limit of 40 messages every 3 hours.
Please be patient though — we expect massive demand and will scale up and optimize our systems over the coming months.
Note: this will not provide subscribers with access to the API.

— Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 12, 2024, 8:34:44 PMJan 12
to BBEdit Talk
Hey Steve,

Did you see my reply with OpenAI’s explanation why ChatGPT Plus only works via the web?

I didn’t see it show up on the list, but my ISP’s email service has been squirrelly all day.

It’s on that OpenAI site linked to earlier

— Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

David Viard

Jan 14, 2024, 5:20:34 PMJan 14
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Primed with $$$ ?
What do you mean?

I have that same error

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.

David Viard – DVW Design
Directeur artistique, UX/UI Designer, Chef de projet, Consultant Digital
Art Director, UX/UI Designer, Digital Project Manager, Consultant

Mobile : +33 (0)6 68 49 06 04

Site : https://dvw.design
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-viard/

***************************************

Bruce Van Allen

Jan 14, 2024, 6:44:18 PMJan 14
to BBEdit Talk
Did you see this?

<https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4>

Excerpt:

How do I access the GPT-4 API?
If you're a Pay-As-You-Go customer and you've made a successful payment of $1 or more, you'll be able to access the GPT-4 API (8k).

ChatGPT Plus
ChatGPT Plus subscribers will get GPT-4 access on chat.openai.com with a usage cap. We will dynamically adjust the exact usage cap depending on demand and system performance in practice. As of January 5th 2024, GPT-4 has a limit of 40 messages every 3 hours.
Please be patient though — we expect massive demand and will scale up and optimize our systems over the coming months.
Note: this will not provide subscribers with access to the API.

— Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

Steve Hodgson

Jan 15, 2024, 1:19:24 PMJan 15
to BBEdit Talk
I believe that to have the ChatGPT integration work needs a ChatGPT Plus account, an API key setup in BBEdit and paymet added for the API usage.

I found a good explanation for this on the TidBITS site here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Bruce Van Allen

Rails Smith

Jan 16, 2024, 8:31:26 AMJan 16
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work Bare Bones! I love this effort from you guys!.

Purchased my upgrade the day I was notified.

Was there some advantages to implementing this in BBEdit differently than other IDEs; where I can use my $20 chatGPT4 account?

Here's coverage on YouTube from a person who said they have never "had" BBEdit on the show before:

I've never seen an app integrate ChatGPT like this (BBEdit 15)

Regarding the BBEdit doc:
I did not think to look back at page 378 when I was reading the docs on page 397. Maybe page 397 needs a sentence to clarify the entry.

It's been a minute since I used that MPW style worksheet thing. I was not aware that it changed from Command to Control.

Cheers!

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email "sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting here. Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <https://twitter.com/bbedit>
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.

John Mitchell

Jan 16, 2024, 8:32:26 AMJan 16
to BBEdit Talk
Hi, I've read a lot on this issue, seemingly common issues.
I have a ChatGPT Plus account (several months ago...)
I have defined a gpt-4 API key
I have specified my ChatGPT Worksheets preference: gpt-4, and the Clear API Key... is activated
The return key does not work (on my MacBook Pro)
CtrlReturn does, but this is response
> The model `gpt-4` does not exist or you do not have access to it. Learn more:
> https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7102672-how-can-i-access-gpt-4.

Rebooted, no change, OSX Monterey 12.7.2
defined a new ChatGPT worksheet, same result.

Kerri Hicks

Rails Smith

Jan 16, 2024, 5:55:24 PMJan 16
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
Two OpenAI products:

(scroll down after loading page)

After some more research I came to the conclusion that data sent to ChatGPT is reused and ingested in the OpenAI product. And the API data is held to a higher standard in terms of privacy. I have not been able to find the T&C.

Can others clarify?

If you have a $20 ChatGPT account, you will need to give the API account a few dollars to make the API operate. I think I added $5.

You will need to generate your secret API in your OpenAI profile settings