basilisk-docker

Stefan Llewellyn Smith

Sep 16, 2021, 12:40:41 PM9/16/21
to basilisk-fr
I have updated the Basilisk Docker image as well as the various scripts.

The idea here is to be able to run Basilisk without having to worry about compilation on your particular system if you have Docker installed.

One you have Docker, all you need is the dbasilisk script to try it. (There is also a script for interactive visualization on the host.)

I would be grateful for feedback, tests, etc. The setup has only been tested on a Mac so far. The image should work on any linux system, but the dbasilisk script may need to be tweaked.

I am particularly interested in getting the image to work on different architectures. I doubt my son will let me test this on his shiny new MacBook silicon, so I hope other users will let me know if they would like to try.

As usual, thanks to Stéphane for his help in getting this to work.

Stefan

--
Stefan LLEWELLYN SMITH
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

Arnaud Antkowiak

Nov 24, 2021, 9:38:42 AM11/24/21
to basilisk-fr
Dear Stefan and all,

I have (finally) tested your docker image on my laptop (MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) -- macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)) and it just works!
I have been able to successfully recreate the .mp4 showing the relaxation of a 3D meniscus from Clement's sandbox: http://basilisk.fr/sandbox/crobert/2_Implicit/1_Surface_tension/meniscus3D.c

This is a game changer, as I won't need to try to mix the different openGL living on my mac. Thank you so much!

A few notes that may help the beginner in docker's ecosystem (like me):
• launch docker!
• had to change the rights of dbasilisk after git clone (chmod u+x dbasilisk)
• had to change the network interface en0 into en10 for some reason
• tick "Allow connections from network clients" in XQuartz' preferences

Arnaud

Stephane Popinet

Nov 25, 2021, 2:53:48 AM11/25/21
to basil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for your comments and tips. Could you please add them directly to
Stefan's page?

cheers,

Stephane

Stefan Llewellyn Smith

Nov 25, 2021, 4:19:21 PM11/25/21
to Stephane Popinet, basil...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that would be great.

Arnaud, if you have any suggestions for changes or improvements, please let me know.

Stefan