disk storage

Andy Bird

Apr 8, 2020, 1:18:40 PM4/8/20
to bareos-users
HI all

no matter how many times I read the page on volume management I cant get my head around it.

I have 3 servers with 4tb of storage each.  I cant seem to figure out how to stop baroes simply eating all the space up.  Here are my pools..

Pool {
  Name = Differential
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bareos can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 15 days          # How long should the Differential Backups be kept? (#09)
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 10G          # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = =100               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
  Label Format = "Differential-"      # Volumes will be labeled "Differential-<volume-id>"
}
Pool {
  Name = Full
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bareos can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 30 days         # How long should the Full Backups be kept? (#06)
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 50G          # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = 50               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
  Label Format = "Full-"              # Volumes will be labeled "Full-<volume-id>"
}
Pool {
  Name = Incremental
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bareos can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 15 days          # How long should the Incremental Backups be kept?  (#12)
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 1G           # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = 200               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
  Label Format = "Incremental-"       # Volumes will be labeled "Incremental-<volume-id>"
}

why does it just keep eating space?

There are files in there that date back to Dec

-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737943 Dec  7 21:15 Incremental-0081
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073727886 Dec  7 21:12 Incremental-0073
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos   175545854 Dec  6 21:21 Incremental-0067
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737881 Dec  6 21:20 Incremental-0066
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737929 Dec  6 21:15 Incremental-0064
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737954 Dec  6 21:14 Incremental-0063
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073695474 Dec  6 21:13 Incremental-0053
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos   109995168 Dec  5 21:20 Incremental-0041
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737947 Dec  5 21:14 Incremental-0038
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737901 Dec  5 21:13 Incremental-0037
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073708261 Dec  5 21:12 Incremental-0031
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos   905668495 Dec  4 21:18 Incremental-0030
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073737945 Dec  4 21:13 Incremental-0029
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  1073716507 Dec  4 21:11 Incremental-0024
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  9549404191 Dec  4 16:05 Full-0021
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos  4225951421 Dec  3 13:46 Full-0010

why have these not been recycled?
Why do I have files older than 30 days?

so confused

Brock Palen

Apr 8, 2020, 1:45:50 PM4/8/20
to Andy Bird, bareos-users
Bareos will keep provisioning volumes trying to avoid blowing away data until it absolutely have to. The retentions are much more about when they become a candidate for purge.

I personally have a script I run after some jobs so they actually get pruned when ready and truncated/recycled:

#!/bin/bash
for x in `echo "list volumes pool=AI-Consolidated" | bconsole | grep -v "list volumes" | grep AI-Consolid | awk -F\| '{print $3}'`
do
echo "prune volume=$x yes"
done | bconsole

# actaully free up disk space
echo "truncate volstatus=Purged pool=AI-Consolidated yes" \
| bconsole

This gets ran once a day and wipes out all the volumes that are past retention but not being marked used/purged.

This works well for me, and I also have a tape drive (copy jobs) and in the tape world it makes a lot more sense.

Brock Palen
1 (989) 277-6075
bro...@mlds-networks.com
www.mlds-networks.com
Websites, Linux, Hosting, Joomla, Consulting

DUCARROZ Birgit

Apr 8, 2020, 1:58:36 PM4/8/20
to Andy Bird, bareos-users
Hi,

not sure if this is just a typo in your mail or if you did a copy-past
from your real file (this message will not respond to your question,
but...) you have 2 times a == in your Differential pool
On 08/04/20 19:45, Brock Palen wrote:
> Pool {
> Name = Differential
(...)
> Maximum Volumes = =100 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
> }

Regards,
Birgit

DUCARROZ Birgit

Apr 8, 2020, 2:05:09 PM4/8/20
to Andy Bird, bareos-users
Maybe Job Retention and File Retention, could help, like in this example:

Pool {
Name = Differential
Pool Type = Backup
Recycle = yes # Bareos can automatically
recycle Volumes
AutoPrune = yes # Prune expired volumes
Volume Retention = 60 days # How long should the
Differential Backups be kept? (#09)
Job Retention = 59 days
File Retention = 58 days
Maximum Volume Bytes = 300G # Limit Volume size to something
reasonable
Maximum Volumes = 200 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
Label Format = "Differential-" # Volumes will be labeled
"Differential-<volume-id>"
}

Pool {
Name = Full
Pool Type = Backup
Recycle = yes # Bareos can automatically
recycle Volumes
Maximum Volume Bytes = 500 G # Limit Volume size to something
reasonable
Maximum Volumes = 300 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
Label Format = "Full-" # Volumes will be labeled
"Full-<volume-id>"
AutoPrune = yes # Prune expired volumes
Volume Retention = 180 days # How long should the Full
Backups be kept? (#06)
Job Retention = 179 days
File Retention = 178 days
}
Pool {
Name = Incremental
Pool Type = Backup
Recycle = yes # Bareos can automatically
recycle Volumes
AutoPrune = yes # Prune expired volumes
Volume Retention = 28 days # How long should the Incremental
Backups be kept? (#12)
Job Retention = 27 days
File Retention = 26 days
Maximum Volume Bytes = 100G # Limit Volume size to
something reasonable
Maximum Volumes = 400 # Limit number of Volumes in Pool