What is a Conselho de Familia in an inventario?

IslandRoutes

Aug 11, 2019, 8:42:08 PM8/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
I am helping a cousin interpret the inventario she got on her relative. We keep seeing the term conselho de familia and noticed that people were selected for it.

Is this a normal part of the inventario process? What is their role in the proceedings?

Thanks,
Melody

Cheri Mello

Aug 11, 2019, 8:44:35 PM8/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
I saw that in a bunch of inventories that I copied last year. I kinda interpreted the "concelho de familia" as the interested blood lines in the deceased's estate.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

Aug 11, 2019, 9:14:40 PM8/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Aug 12, 2019, 12:16:29 AM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I still don’t understand when a family council is needed, but using Google translate, there are these guidelines for family councils—

They should consist of 5 parents (relatives?) closest to the family and who resides in the legal jurisdiction, three from the paternal side and two from the maternal side.  Preferably they should be older, but they each will have an equal degree of judgement.

1. If there are no relatives other than one of the lines, the other _________ will be named from the friends of the minor's parents, except that in this case, even if this line is maternal, it will supply three __________. (The term
Hais comes up vowel... must mean something like person.)

2. The German brothers, and the husbands of the German sisters, may all be members of the family council together, even if they are more than five; but if they form an even number, one more relative will be called. (Does Germanos and Germanas mean German as translate says?)

Do you know when these were needed?

Debbie

doreen...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2019, 10:41:09 AM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

I can not read Portuguese but Germanos is not people from Germany because it is called something different in Portuguese. I think they are referring to twins.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

image.png

Margaret Vicente

Aug 12, 2019, 10:57:56 AM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
The Concelho de família could be interpreted as a “board of directors” these directors were, five in the the 19th Century but presently only two are required.

This is Civil Code and is enforced when there’s a death in the family of one of the heads of that family and there is no Will and Testament in most cases.
They play the role of overseers for the Court and have the right to vote when there’s disagreement.  They’re also responsible to take inventory of all assets and are responsible for it. Main role is to ensure that minors are taken care of.

Irmãos Germanos - are the children who are born of the same parents.

Margaret

Nancy Couto

Aug 12, 2019, 11:03:36 AM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
A brother german or sister german is someone you share both parents with. It means a full sibling rather than a half- or step-sibling. A cousin german is the same as a first cousin. The term comes from the Latin word “germanus,” which means “full” or “own.”

Nancy

IslandRoutes

Aug 12, 2019, 1:45:52 PM8/12/19
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you all for your answers! Angela and Margaret your descriptions are very helpful.

I have another question. Who selects the conselho members? Are there elders in the family who are automatically appointed, would the widow or grown children select them, or is the court the one that names them?

Thank you all for your help!

Margaret Vicente

Aug 12, 2019, 3:17:06 PM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

You’re welcome!

The file should include a page with the Court’s instructions regarding the election of the Council.  In my  case the members were elected by the “widow”.  She selected 3 of her husband’s brothers of which she named one to be the head of Council, and the other two were her brother and the next door neighbor.

What Angela provided is right for that time period but, here’s the link for the present Civil Code regulations of the Family Council.  It’s in Portuguese.

Margaret

Mary Bordi

Thank you all for your answers! Angela and Margaret your descriptions are very helpful.

I have another question.  Who selects the conselho members?  Are there elders in the family who are automatically appointed, would the widow or grown children select them, or is the court the one that names them?

Thank you all for your help!

E2B732BD-A7F9-4D48-B79B-A8E4347EE941.jpeg

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Aug 12, 2019, 7:37:54 PM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Vogais is the other term that was not translated correctly.   Margaret, what does it mean?   My spellcheck changed it in my earlier email.   It goes where the line was in the google translation.

Glad for the correct Germanos translation.   Does that term at all connect with the similar surname that I have come across several times?

Debbie

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Thank you all for your answers! Angela and Margaret your descriptions are very helpful.

I have another question.  Who selects the conselho members?  Are there elders in the family who are automatically appointed, would the widow or grown children select them, or is the court the one that names them?

Thank you all for your help!

Margaret Vicente

Aug 12, 2019, 8:35:40 PM8/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Debbie,

A ‘vogal’  translates to “member ”, in this case; a member of the Family Council.

The surname is probably due to a first name adopted by the next generation as their last name.  To exemplify it, someone name Germano X had a son who was given the name Pedro who then would go on as Pedro + Germano = Pedro Germano

I looked up the Etymology of the word and post it here for a quick look, to see more please click on the link

Etymology

From Latin germānus (brotherly).

germano (feminine singular germanamasculine plural germanifeminine plural germane)

1.   born from the same parents

fratello germano ― sibling

germano m (plural germani)

1.   (poetic) brother