Crossbar.io event history

Dirk Devriendt

Dec 25, 2014, 12:50:17 PM12/25/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
First off, my compliments on a very promising and open project.
I just discovered it and was thinking of using it at our next Raspberry Jam where the co-working space that hosts us asked if it's possible to make a digital self-service visitor desk in the lobby.
visitor comes in > indicates who they're visiting > target gets alerted on his/her phone or at his/her desk

I saw that event history is foreseen in WAMPv2 and planned(?) in crossbar, so I wanted to ask:
- what is the current state and how/when is this expected to evolve in the future?
- what is the current recommended practice for catching up with "missed" messages and/or persisting/replaying events (e.g. in a DB?)

-feel free to keep it short and/or point me to existing resources I may have missed-
FWIW I fully support the clear separation between Autobahn and crossbar.io :-)

Thanks!
Dirk

Note: I'm also looking at using crossbar at work as a logging / communication hub for a docker-based on-demand scientific simulation cluster we are building, but that's a story for a different time :-)

Tobias Oberstein

Dec 29, 2014, 1:39:29 PM12/29/14
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Dirk,

Am 25.12.2014 um 18:50 schrieb Dirk Devriendt:
> First off, my compliments on a very promising and open project.

Thanks!

> I just discovered it and was thinking of using it at our next Raspberry
> Jam where the co-working space that hosts us asked if it's possible to
> make a digital self-service visitor desk in the lobby.
> visitor comes in > indicates who they're visiting > target gets alerted
> on his/her phone or at his/her desk
>
> I saw that event history is foreseen in WAMPv2 and planned(?) in
> crossbar, so I wanted to ask:
> - what is the current state and how/when is this expected to evolve in
> the future?

Features like from "last message on subscribe" up to full message
persistence / history is currently in "spec stage". But it's not yet
there .. neither in spec, nor in Crossbar.io (or any other router I am
aware).

> - what is the current recommended practice for catching up with "missed"
> messages and/or persisting/replaying events (e.g. in a DB?)

The idiom we use most often, e.g. for accessing a variable X residing in
some backend component is to expose X via a "get_x" WAMP procedure, plus
event "on_x" with value updates triggered from "set_x".

I do understand that this isn't quite the same as what router built-in
mechanisms could provide.

> -feel free to keep it short and/or point me to existing resources I may
> have missed-
> FWIW I fully support the clear separation between Autobahn and
> crossbar.io :-)

;)

Cheers,
/Tobias