Python on Arduino, multithreaded and with real-time feature

Daniele Mazzei

Mar 7, 2015, 1:00:51 PM3/7/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
With three colleagues we are developing VIPER a Python Virtual Machine that runs on Arduino DUE, UDOO, Spark Core and similar ARM based boards.
With your help we could try to link VIPER With Autobahn.
If you are looking for a quick and reliable way to code in Python for Embedded with high-level feature support and with a ready to use App to be linked with check VIPER here http://bit.ly/kickviper
Daniele

Michel Desmoulin

Mar 14, 2015, 6:23:46 AM3/14/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hello Daniele,

Crossbar is pure Python, so if your Python VM follows the specs, it will run on it without anything to do. I don't think it needs some kind of integration, except if you speak about IDE integration in which case it's beyong the scope of the tool right now.

But since WAMP and VIPER both target IoT, i'm sure anyone one the list will take time to answer any question you would have, if you attempt to do work with it.

Cheers

Tobias Oberstein

Mar 15, 2015, 10:47:27 AM3/15/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniele,

awesome! The IoT world needs more of Python. Guess you are aware of http://micropython.org/ ?

Anyway: if VIPER runs Python 3 and supports the Python 3 standard library's asyncio module, chances are AutobahnPython will "just work".

On which MCUs does VIPER run?
Is it open-source? Link?
How does it compare to Micropython?

In general, yes, we are very much interested in cooperating with other IoT projects!

Cheers,
/Tobias

Daniele Mazzei

Mar 16, 2015, 5:28:09 AM3/16/15
to autob...@googlegroups.com, TOI srl
Hi Tobias and Michel,
Thanks for your interest in VIPER!

We have a detailed update on our Kickstarter page on which various tech specs are reported. there you can find all the info http://bit.ly/kickviper

Consider that we haven't ported the entire python stdlib, it will never fit on a MCU. We selected the most useful modules and started to port them. Just to name a few, we already have json, math and urlparse. I think that that the integration of our platforms is feasible!

VIPER can run on all ARM 32 bit architectures, at the current stage it works fine with the STM32 and the SAM3x. We already tested VIPER on the following boards: Arduino DUE; Spark Core, UDOO and STM Nucleo!

VIPER will be released as open source on github after our Kickstarter campaign (if it will success).

We know micropython, it is a very good project and architecture. However VIPER has various differences and it is based on a different approach and architecture. With VIPER you compile on your PC and then you flash your boards (we are natively multi-platform).
VIPER is oriented on prototyping professional application so we removed the compiler from the MCU side in order to save flash and to simplify the debug.
You can find more details on the differences between VIPER and Mycropython at the bottom of the campaign page.

As you know, finalizing a project like VIPER is a very intensive activity. This is why we decided to put the project on Kickstarter. We need to cover the last mile in order to be able to release a professional and well documented software on the open source community.
We really believe that porting Python on the embedded community can revolutionize this field giving a huge boost to the IoT revolution.
Help us to make this dream real!

Ciao
Daniele

Daniele Mazzei, PhD
Research Assistant
Phd on Biomedical Engineering
Research Center "E.Piaggio"
Tel: +39-050-2217061
Faculty of Engineering
Largo Lucio Lazzarino, 1 56122 Pisa
Italy

http://www.danielemazzei.it - http://www.faceteam.ithttp://www.fablabpisa.org

Please consider your environmental responsibility.  Before printing this e-mail please ask yourself: "Do I really need a hard copy?"

Tobias Oberstein

Mar 16, 2015, 8:07:34 AM3/16/15

Am 16.03.2015 um 10:28 schrieb Daniele Mazzei:
> Hi Tobias and Michel,
> Thanks for your interest in VIPER!
>
> We have a detailed update on our Kickstarter page on which various tech
> specs are reported. there you can find all the info http://bit.ly/kickviper
>
> Consider that we haven't ported the entire python stdlib, it will never
> fit on a MCU. We selected the most useful modules and started to port
> them. Just to name a few, we already have json, math and urlparse. I
> think that that the integration of our platforms is feasible!

The most important module from the standard lib (on Py3) is "asyncio".

Do you have plans to support asyncio?

Here is a list of all stdlib modules used in AutobahnPython:

abc
base64
binascii
collections
copy
datetime
future
hashlib
hmac
inspect
itertools
json
operator
os
pickle
platform
pprint
random
re
struct
sys
time
traceback
unittest
urlparse
urllib

The only 3rd party package requirement is "six".

None of above requires a C-extension to Python.

Just curious: do you have plans to support any kind of C-level access
with VIPER? Maybe CFFI?

> VIPER can run on all ARM 32 bit architectures, at the current stage it
> works fine with the STM32 and the SAM3x. We already tested VIPER on the
> following boards: Arduino DUE; Spark Core, UDOO and STM Nucleo!

Awesome! I'll be spreading the word about VIPER ..

> VIPER will be released as open source on github after our Kickstarter
> campaign (if it will success).

Very good.

> We know micropython, it is a very good project and architecture. However
> VIPER has various differences and it is based on a different approach
> and architecture. With VIPER you compile on your PC and then you flash
> your boards (we are natively multi-platform).
> VIPER is oriented on prototyping professional application so we removed
> the compiler from the MCU side in order to save flash and to simplify
> the debug.
> You can find more details on the differences between VIPER and
> Mycropython at the bottom of the campaign page.
>
> As you know, finalizing a project like VIPER is a very intensive
> activity. This is why we decided to put the project on Kickstarter. We
> need to cover the last mile in order to be able to release a
> professional and well documented software on the open source community.
> We really believe that porting Python on the embedded community can
> revolutionize this field giving a huge boost to the IoT revolution.
> Help us to make this dream real!

Yep, we're ready to cooperate! Hooking up VIPER into the WAMP ecosystem
would open new possibilities ...

Cheers,
/Tobias