Autobahn testsuite fuzzingclient:can the tested server reframe echo replies?

Vinnie Falco

Apr 13, 2016, 1:31:40 PM4/13/16
to Autobahn
I added a feature to my websocket implementation which optionally fragments outgoing messages according to an optional user defined size and now autobahn tests which would cause my code to generate fragments don't pass.

Does autobahn testsuite fuzzing clientrequire that the server it tests preserve frames (i.e. upon receipt of every frame it should send back an identical frame)? Or will the fuzzingclient work with servers that re-frame messages arbitrarily?

Thanks

Tobias Oberstein

Apr 14, 2016, 3:07:20 AM4/14/16
to autob...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.04.2016 um 19:31 schrieb Vinnie Falco:
> I added a feature to my websocket implementation which optionally
> fragments outgoing messages according to an optional user defined size
> and now autobahn tests which would cause my code to generate fragments
> don't pass.

Which ones? Have you examined the wirelogs in the resulting reports?

> Does autobahn testsuite fuzzing clientrequire that the server it tests
> preserve frames (i.e. upon receipt of every frame it should send back an
> identical frame)? Or will the fuzzingclient work with servers that
> re-frame messages arbitrarily?

Sure. The peer can reframe as it wishes. That's part of RFC6455.

In fact, Autobahn has an option to auto-fragment outgoing traffic too
(both client and server), and the testsuite has tests that use that:

http://autobahn.ws/testsuite/reports_20140823/servers/autobahnpython_case_10_1_1.html

http://autobahn.ws/testsuite/reports_20140823/clients/autobahnpython_0_8_15_case_10_1_1.html