FOSS4G Birds of Feather session: Sustaining a training documentation pipeline

Cameron Shorter

Nov 16, 2018, 3:23:37 PM11/16/18
to Andrew Jeffrey, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, foss4g-...@lists.osgeo.org, Sarah Maddox
Hi QGIS and FOSS4G folks,

I think a number of things are serendipitously coming together to create
the perfect opportunity to establish collaborative building and
maintaining OSGeo training material in general, and QGIS in particular.
(Templates, processes, tool chains developed for QGIS could be rolled
out to other projects in future releases).

I was talking with Andrew Jeffrey and Chris Milne yesterday about
setting up a Birds of a Feather session at the FOSS4G conference in
Melbourne next week to discuss this. Andrew and Chris mentined that
their employer, Chartis Technology is keen to collaboratively build QGIS
training.

Sarah Maddox, tech writer from Google, is launching a "Google Season of
Docs" [1], from which we might be able to tap into experienced tech
writer resources.

I'm hoping that once we get momentum going, we could draw in
universities from Geo4All. Some universities already have good training
material we can start from.

I'm interested from an OSGeoLive perspective - drawing from our existing
community and extending our established documentation pipeline to also
include training material.

If you are interested to be involved, then speak up (and/or look for
details of the BoF session once we find a venue and timeslot).

[1]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ABqCc5uAoQv9aqGCxmNqOJ9S_Tst-adNV3fcWQ2Quwc/edit#slide=id.g42b115f18c_0_0

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Jonah Sullivan

Nov 16, 2018, 3:48:10 PM11/16/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, foss4g-oceania
I'm looking forward to this session. Thanks for organising it.

I helped set up a QGIS MOOC with content created by, and created for, Pacific Islanders.

The project that got it going is winding down; it would be nice to see it continue.

Here is the link: http://pacgeo.org/edu/

br...@frogmouth.net

Nov 16, 2018, 5:43:19 PM11/16/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, foss4g-...@lists.osgeo.org
Cameron,

Are you anticipating this being a training course or a set of training material (e.g. some overview presentations and tutorials) that could be used in a course? What kind of delivery mechanisms do you anticipate (e.g. face-to-face, self-paced, etc)? Who do you anticipate the training audience to be? What would the training outcome(s) / competencies be? Would this include assessment?

Brad

Cameron Shorter

Nov 17, 2018, 2:23:23 PM11/17/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, foss4g-...@lists.osgeo.org
Johan, great to hear of your interest and ability to bring material to
the project. A challenge of funded open source (and open training) is
sustainability after the funding drys up. I'm hoping we can help address
sustainability by spreading maintenance across multiple community
members and funding sources.

Brad, you are asking some really good questions which I'm hoping we can
collectively discuss. I personally don't have an agenda for format or
delivery mechanisms. I think we should be thinking about big vision,
determine who wants to contribute and what their priorities are, and
then focus on what we can sustainable build to address immediate needs
and material we can already make use of, and also do our best to attract
an active, international community of maintainers. Feel free to share
your suggestions.

Cheers, Cameron

On 17/11/18 7:47 am, Jonah Sullivan wrote:
> I'm looking forward to this session. Thanks for organising it.
> I helped set up a QGIS MOOC with content created by, and created for,
> Pacific Islanders.
> The project that got it going is winding down; it would be nice to see
> it continue.
> Here is the link: http://pacgeo.org/edu/

Cameron Shorter

Nov 18, 2018, 4:12:09 PM11/18/18
to foss4g-...@lists.osgeo.org, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, Charlie Schweik, Mueller, Thomas, Suchith Anand

I'm looping in suggestions from Charlie, Suchith and Thomas from the Geoforall community.

On 19/11/18 12:06 am, Charlie Schweik wrote:
Hi Cameron,

Wonderful to hear about this initiative! As many know, we've tried to develop collective action around the community development of FOSS4G educational material for years -- a hard nut to crack! Perhaps this will develop the critical mass to make it happen! I agree with your "big vision".

A couple thoughts:

1) Any discussion of Summer of Docs that would provide paid opportunities for students working with faculty/OSGeo projects?

That might lead to even more productivity (think - educational content summer internships with OSGeo projects or faculty to develop open access educational materials).

2) One repository -- GeoAcademy, and obviously, QGIS' tutorials

Materials by Kurt Menke, Rick Smith, John Van Hoesen and Phil Davis: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/. I believe Rick had set up a GitHub project for storing the source. Not sure of update status. Obviously coordination with the QGIS project and their tutorial page would be useful.

3) To start - organize a "curriculum outline"?

It would be helpful to collectively develop an overarching curriculum (perhaps building on the GeoAcademy work) or identify content areas? And a focus on not only introduction but more advanced materials, and thought provoking exercises and data, not just tutorials. For example, I'm working on a new class on data analysis of environmental data collected by quadcopters with multispectral sensors. I'd be willing to contribute what I develop to this effort.

4) Organize for Modularity

I'd encourage a modular strategy rather than complete course work, and organize by topic area, and don't put rules on content format to encourage submissions and less "rule friction."

5) There is the issue of where various content would be hosted. But if we can get collective action/organization around  material development that issue can be addressed next.

Good luck FOSS4G Oceania folks! I hope you can get this started! If a group forms, add me to the list, please.

Thanks

Charlie Schweik

On 19/11/18 1:06 am, Mueller, Thomas wrote:
Here is what Philip Davis’s Group has completed via QGIS. I use his materials in my classes and workshops

Tom
On 18/11/18 6:28 pm, Suchith Anand wrote:

Thank you for this excellent information.  May I also request you to invite representatives from universities and educational organisations at the conference to join GeoForAll through our website form. Really hoping we get more educational organisations from the region joining us and building momentum.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 3:40 PM Cameron Shorter <cameron...@gmail.com> wrote:

Geoforall community,

FYI: At FOSS4G Oceania this coming week we plan to discuss the possibility of creating universally maintained QGIS material, with an eye to eventually building this the cover all OSGeo training material.

If there are initiates already in place that we should be aware of, and should be aligning with, then please let us know so that we can include them in our discussion.

(See below for our local discussion so far)

Warm regards, Cameron

Nov 20, 2018, 4:50:17 PM11/20/18
to australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, foss4g-...@lists.osgeo.org
Birds of a Feather Session will be held today, Wednesday, during lunch
break at 12:45pm-:13:30pm in room 263. Grad some lunch and come up.

This looks like a good starting point for material:

On 19/11/18 1:06 am, Mueller, Thomas wrote:
> Here is what Philip Davis’s Group has completed via QGIS. I use his
> materials in my classes and workshops
> https://foss4geo.wordpress.com/

Cameron Shorter

Nov 22, 2018, 7:41:43 PM11/22/18
to Kurt Menke, Phillip Davis, australian-qg...@googlegroups.com, Simon Nitz, Lene Fischer

There are currently a number of at FOSS4G-Oceania Community Day, talking about developing QGIS training material.

We are aiming to collate ideas that people have been floating around.

I'm looping in these ideas from Kurt and Phillip.

On 20/11/18 6:57 am, Kurt Menke wrote:
We had this idea for the GeoAcademy material from the outset. We envisioned having 'curriculum sprints' modeled after code sprints. The material on the Spatial Query lab is up on GitHub already.

Currently the most up-to-date version of the GeoAcademy lies in my book Discover QGIS
https://locatepress.com/dqw which I am currently updating to QGIS 3.4
Kurt

**************************

Kurt Menke, GISP
Bird’s Eye View
3016 Santa Clara Ave SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106

www.BirdsEyeViewGIS.com

Cell: 505-362-1776
Work: 505-265-0243
Fax: 505-265-0243

Blogger @Community Health Maps
https://communityhealthmaps.nlm.nih.gov/

Author:
Discover QGIS
https://locatepress.com/dqw

Mastering QGIS
https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM Phillip Davis <pda...@delmar.edu> wrote:
Works for me. I'm glad to help

Da: "Mueller, Thomas" <Mue...@calu.edu>
Data: 18/11/18 22:06 (GMT+08:00)
A: Suchith Anand <Suchit...@nottingham.ac.uk>
Cc: geof...@lists.osgeo.org

Here is what Philip Davis’s Group has completed via QGIS. I use his materials in my classes and workshops

Tom

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 18, 2018, at 2:28 AM, Suchith Anand <Suchit...@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi Cameron,

Thank you for this excellent information.  May I also request you to invite representatives from universities and educational organisations at the conference to join GeoForAll through our website form. Really hoping we get more educational organisations from the region joining us and building momentum.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[...]

attachment.

where permitted by law.

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254
--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer

Nov 22, 2018, 9:56:51 PM11/22/18
to QGIS Australia User Group
Hi,

I created this document to record some of the thoughts I had today at the FOSS4G Oceania Community Day:

Although not strictly limited to FOSS4G, this could be a platform that could help accelerate learning and motivate faster publishing.

Just an idea that could be picked up or contributed to as a community project. Maybe something better already exists, but maybe some
of these ideas could be used to extend an existing product.

Kindly,
Tim