How can I get Ansible to only use Python 3.6?

Mark Bolden

Dec 9, 2019, 4:30:01 PM12/9/19
to Ansible Project
I am on Centos 7 and I was trying to install Pyrax and seeing these errors:

ERROR: os-service-types 1.7.0 has requirement pbr!=2.1.0,>=2.0.0, but you'll have pbr 1.10.0 which is incompatible.
ERROR: python-keystoneclient 3.22.0 has requirement pbr!=2.1.0,>=2.0.0, but you'll have pbr 1.10.0 which is incompatible.
ERROR: python-keystoneclient 3.22.0 has requirement requests>=2.14.2, but you'll have requests 2.6.0 which is incompatible.
ERROR: oslo-config 6.12.0 has requirement requests>=2.18.0, but you'll have requests 2.6.0 which is incompatible.
ERROR: stevedore 1.31.0 has requirement pbr!=2.1.0,>=2.0.0, but you'll have pbr 1.10.0 which is incompatible.

So, I Installed Python 3.6 and ran pip3 install pyrax and success! The problem seems to be that ansible-playbook is still looking at Python 2.7 which does NOT have the pyrax module installed because I am seeing this:

TASK [Database build request] ****************************************************************************************************************************
fatal: [devdb -> localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg": "pyrax is required for this module"}

How can I tell Ansible to NOT use Python 2.7 and only use 3.6 and its modules?

Anyone? Thanks in advance!!
-M

Kai Stian Olstad

Dec 9, 2019, 5:44:25 PM12/9/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
On 09.12.2019 22:30, Mark Bolden wrote:
> How can I tell Ansible to NOT use Python 2.7 and only use 3.6 and its
> modules?
>
> Anyone? Thanks in advance!!

A good start would be to read the docs
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/reference_appendices/python_3_support.html

--
Kai Stian Olstad

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 3:15:56 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Set the following variable to the path of your Python binary:

ansible_python_interpreter: /usr/bin/python3

Regards
Racke

> Anyone? Thanks in advance!!
> -M

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/6b5c8efe-0e1c-4728-9217-2894220268a4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/6b5c8efe-0e1c-4728-9217-2894220268a4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

signature.asc

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 4:05:40 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hello team,
It’s asking me user and password while  checking code from giit
git:
  repo; ‘git url’
  dest : ‘local path’

But when I clone manually it does not prompt for password,

Best Regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/49a16888-ce7d-7945-d253-ac62d1643bd9%40linuxia.de.

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 4:10:36 AM12/10/19
On 12/10/19 10:05 AM, Gyalgin Sherpa wrote:
> Hello team,
> It’s asking me user and password while  checking code from giit
> git:
>   repo; ‘git url’
>   dest : ‘local path’
>
> But when I clone manually it does not prompt for password,
>
> Best Regards

Hello Gyalgin,

it is really so hard to start a fresh email instead of hijacking the subject and providing more than next to nothing
information about your problem?

Did you try to clone the Git repo manually on the target system as the same user as Ansible?

Regards
Racke
> > ansible-proje...@googlegroups.com <mailto:ansible-project%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> <mailto:ansible-proje...@googlegroups.com <mailto:ansible-project%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/6b5c8efe-0e1c-4728-9217-2894220268a4%40googlegroups.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/6b5c8efe-0e1c-4728-9217-2894220268a4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMHLje1D1AbBNk1zz5ZpGLU%3DCX268f3gLp%2Bb6706QHJ%3DSA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMHLje1D1AbBNk1zz5ZpGLU%3DCX268f3gLp%2Bb6706QHJ%3DSA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
signature.asc

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 4:17:49 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hello Racke,

Thank you for the quick response. My apologies for hijacking the loop, this my first email will make a new   Subject line going forward.
Coming back to my issue, yes I was successfully clone in my target machine where ansible is installed . But when I target same location with following line in ansible playbook, it’s prompting me password

Best Regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/479feb36-586f-6f35-3bae-eafd93859e99%40linuxia.de.

Karl Auer

Dec 10, 2019, 4:47:09 AM12/10/19
to ansible-project
You may be missing the point of Stefan's question. Is Ansible executing this git command as the SAME USER that you are executing the git command as, when you execute the command manually?

Authentication for git is user-based. If Ansible is not running the command as the SAME USER that you are using when you run the command manually, then you can expect authentication to fail. By the way, the user that Ansible is running git as is NOT necessarily the user that is running Ansible.

A quick look at the Ansible docs reveals a git_config module. You could try using it to retrieve the global git configuration (the equivalent of running git config --global -l) via Ansible on the target host. Does the output match what you get when you execute that command manually on the target host? If not, you have found the problem.

Regards, K.

--

Karl Auer { manager, systems support }
P: 1300 759 975

GPG/PGP : 301B 1F4E 624D AD99 242C 7A68 EC24 7113 E854 4A4E
Previous:
958A 2647 6C44 D376 3D63 86A5 FFB2 20BC 0257 5816

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 4:57:38 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hello K,
Yes same user while cloning and executing playbook

Best

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 5:09:16 AM12/10/19
On 12/10/19 10:57 AM, Gyalgin Sherpa wrote:
> Hello K,
> Yes same user while cloning and executing playbook
>
> Best
Any sort of detailed information about the Git repository and the authentication method used ?

Regards
Racke

> [...]
>

> --
> Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMGDR3z-uNzYMJRnHVv4-6_UFupDk3wB7AE6O5c0oMQ%3DnA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMGDR3z-uNzYMJRnHVv4-6_UFupDk3wB7AE6O5c0oMQ%3DnA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> *
> *
> *Karl Auer* { manager, systems support }
> P: 1300 759 975
> E: ka...@2pisoftware.com <mailto:ka...@2pisoftware.com>
> 2pisoftware.com <https://2pisoftware.com>
>
> GPG/PGP : 301B 1F4E 624D AD99 242C 7A68 EC24 7113 E854 4A4E
> Previous: 958A 2647 6C44 D376 3D63 86A5 FFB2 20BC 0257 5816

signature.asc

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 5:36:47 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rake,
Yes, we do, however, cloning the repo in the same target did not prompt me for the password, but it did when running playbook container repo details. I guess following might help

- name: Get updated files from git repository
      git:
        repo: "https://{{ githubuser | urlencode }}:{{ githubpassword }}@github.com/privrepo.git"
        dest: /tmp

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/335917cb-d019-61cf-2aea-c25e4c3c5c81%40linuxia.de.

Karl Auer

Dec 10, 2019, 6:26:59 AM12/10/19
to ansible-project
I'm not being nasty when I say this, but:

Prove it :-)

Seriously - the single most likely reason for what you are seeing is that the users are different. Not the githubuser - the user that is executing the git command. So prove to yourself that they are in fact the same, e.g. by setting a variable in the global config for the user you think is being used, then using the git_config module to display the values being used by Ansible...

Regards, K.

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 7:57:37 AM12/10/19
On 12/10/19 11:36 AM, Gyalgin Sherpa wrote:
> Hello Rake,
> Yes, we do, however, cloning the repo in the same target did not prompt me for the password, but it did when running
> playbook container repo details. I guess following might help
>
> |- name: Get updated files from git repository git: repo: "https://{{ githubuser | urlencode }}:{{ githubpassword
> }}@github.com/privrepo.git <http://github.com/privrepo.git>" dest: /tmp|

OK, but what is the mechanism which enables you to bypass the password when you clone manually (under the assumption
that you need the password for private repositories as opposed to public ones).

Regards
Racke

> [...]
> >
> >     --
> <mailto:ansible-proje...@googlegroups.com <mailto:ansible-project%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
>  https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CA%2B%2BT08SCgcE0TTm3RKzmZVjMWQq-hTJwQekP_%3Dwv2HgPByKAww%40mail.gmail.com
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CA%2B%2BT08SCgcE0TTm3RKzmZVjMWQq-hTJwQekP_%3Dwv2HgPByKAww%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> >
> > --
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMFsB0aFQvLOzW06h__1SUxHQhwgmxusdszXWYPHBXMT_g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

signature.asc

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 8:02:54 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
That’s as usual with public key

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/d0343184-ad43-291a-912b-2931fef1197c%40linuxia.de.

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 8:06:21 AM12/10/19
On 12/10/19 2:02 PM, Gyalgin Sherpa wrote:
> That’s as usual with public key

So why doesn't the Ansible user use a public key?

Regards
Racke

> [...]
> >

> >     --
> >     Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> >     Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.
> >
> >     --
> <mailto:ansible-project%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <mailto:ansible-project%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/335917cb-d019-61cf-2aea-c25e4c3c5c81%40linuxia.de.
> >
> > --
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMFLtXMAFxkBii406iP3m8xXz1q9HvNw5_95egLK-rsk7Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

signature.asc

Gyalgin Sherpa

Dec 10, 2019, 8:12:06 AM12/10/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
That’s my issue, I am already using public key and also asking me credentials

Best

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/d88ce217-be45-14ba-1a14-7f2344140dee%40linuxia.de.

Stefan Hornburg (Racke)

Dec 10, 2019, 8:17:20 AM12/10/19
On 12/10/19 2:11 PM, Gyalgin Sherpa wrote:
> That’s my issue, I am already using public key and also asking me credentials
>
> Best

So the private key needs to be on the target and maybe you need key_file parameter
(https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/modules/git_module.html).

You tried a workaround instead of fixing the real problem. Such a waste of time :-)

Regards
Racke

> [...]
> >     Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.
> >
> >     --
> <mailto:ansible-project%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <mailto:ansible-project%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/d0343184-ad43-291a-912b-2931fef1197c%40linuxia.de.
> >
> > --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMEPeCXrEenJV%2Bfc-XrMM_QW%2BnrPgX14_%2BuR314x1o%3DAjw%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/CABynDMEPeCXrEenJV%2Bfc-XrMM_QW%2BnrPgX14_%2BuR314x1o%3DAjw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> Ecommerce and Linux consulting + Perl and web application programming.
> Debian and Sympa administration. Provisioning with Ansible.

signature.asc