Subdirectories in host_vars

Peter Kokot

Sep 11, 2019, 6:11:40 PM9/11/19
to Ansible Project
Hello,

does host_vars directory support subdirectories? So multiple variables can be organized in multiple YAML files inside the host subdirectory. For example:

├─ host_vars/
├─── hostname_1.tld/
├───── secrets.yaml
├───── variables.yaml
├─── hostname_2.tld/
├───── secrets.yaml
├───── other_variables.yaml
└─ ...

Thank you for possible answers and helping out.

Dick Visser

Sep 11, 2019, 6:27:45 PM9/11/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

Dick Visser
Trust & Identity Service Operations Manager
GÉANT

Peter Kokot

Sep 11, 2019, 7:24:46 PM9/11/19
to Ansible Project
Thank you so much for your answer.

Yes, it works correctly as expected. Issue was that I was overriding the variables from the roles incorrectly (roles/something/vars/main.yaml) and should use the roles/something/defaults/main.yaml for that. The host_vars work as expected.

On Thursday, 12 September 2019 00:27:45 UTC+2, Dick Visser wrote:
Yes.

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 00:11, Peter Kokot <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does host_vars directory support subdirectories? So multiple variables can be organized in multiple YAML files inside the host subdirectory. For example:
>
> ├─ host_vars/
> ├─── hostname_1.tld/
> ├───── secrets.yaml
> ├───── variables.yaml
> ├─── hostname_2.tld/
> ├───── secrets.yaml
> ├───── other_variables.yaml
> └─ ...
>
> Thank you for possible answers and helping out.

Dick Visser

Sep 12, 2019, 3:04:33 AM9/12/19
to ansible...@googlegroups.com
Yup.
I tend to use rolename/vars for things that are rather static.
For instance, a dict of software versions and their checksums, which
will never change.