MaineDOT 2021-2022-2023 Work Plan Published Today

Damon Yakovleff

Jan 25, 2021, 3:16:47 PM1/25/21
to bikePed Comm
I got this notice today. I haven't had time to dig in, but perhaps somebody in this group is looking for a little light reading?

Here are the details:

The Work Plan webpage: https://www.maine.gov/mdot/projects/workplan/

Using the above webpage, you can:

Scsmedia

Jan 25, 2021, 3:51:19 PM1/25/21
to PB...@googlegroups.com
The Portland section is 12 pages long.

Attached

Steve Scharf
MDOT 3 Year Work Plan 2021 to 2023 -- Portland.pdf

Jaime Parker

Jan 26, 2021, 11:18:13 AM1/26/21
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of funding priorities, the Smart Growth Equity Summit is starting right now.

Jaime Parker
Trails and Transportation Manager
Portland Trails
ja...@trails.org
329.6180

Non Sibi, Sed Omnibus

Christian MilNeil

Jan 26, 2021, 11:51:02 AM1/26/21
to PB...@googlegroups.com, Jeremiah Bartlett, Bruce Hyman
I note that the "Deering Neighborhood Byway"is in there.

This is a project that was originally funded by PACTS in 2012 – nine years ago now.

Bruce or Jeremiah, any insight about why this is taking so long? It doesn't bode well for our climate plans if a very modest set of traffic calming improvements (this project is basically three crosswalks) takes a decade to get done.

Scsmedia

Jan 26, 2021, 1:49:11 PM1/26/21
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Here is a quick breakdown of the Portland projects that should be of interest to our committee. Stuff in brackets are my addition to the description.

Bicycle/Pedestrian Directly Related Project

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): York Street/High Street [York Street between State and High Street and High Street between Commercial Street and York Street]
Description: Beginning at State Street and extending north 0.16 of a mile to High Street. Beginning at Commercial Street and extending northwest 0.05 of a mile to York Street. PACTS Sponsored.
Bicycle/Pedestrian -- On-Road Sidewalk/Trail -- Multimodal Improvements - Preliminary Engineering only
$100,000

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): Bayside Trail
Bicycle/Pedestrian -- On-Road Sidewalk/Trail -- New Construction - Preliminary Engineering only
$236,000

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): Neighborhood Byway [Not clear what location this is referring to]
Bicycle/Pedestrian -- On-Road Sidewalk/Trail -- New Construction
$432,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Route 1A [West Commercial Street from Beach Street to ?]
Bicycle/Pedestrian -- On-Road Sidewalk/Trail -- New Construction
$512,000

Brighton Avenue

Work Plan Year: 2021
Municipalities(s): Portland
Asset(s): Route 25
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements -- Urban Highways -- Intersection Improvements W/ Signal - Preliminary Engineering only
$195,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Brighton Avenue
Highway Construction/Rehabilitation -- Urban Highways -- Highway Rehabilitation
$2,010,000

Road Rebuilds That Offer Opportunities for Our Input

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): Route 1A [Exit 7 On/Off Ramps to Marginal Way]
Description: Beginning 0.19 of a mile north of Fox Street and extending north 0.15 of a mile to Interstate 295 northbound Exit 7. Includes 0.03 of a mile north of Marginal Way extending north 0.02 of a mile, both northbound and southbound lanes.
Highway Construction/Rehabilitation -- Urban Highways -- Reconstruction - Preliminary Engineering only
$103,000

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): Forest Avenue [Marginal Way to Park Avenue]
Description: Beginning at Marginal Way and extending southeast 0.20 of a mile to Park Avenue. PACTS Sponsored. Maine Department of Transportation Work Plan for Calendar Years 2021-2022-2023 Work Plan Town Report 3 January 22, 2021
Highway Construction/Rehabilitation -- Urban Highways -- Intersection Reconstruction - Preliminary Engineering only
$200,000

Work Plan Year: 2021
Asset(s): Elm Street [Congress Street to Marginal Way]
Highway Paving -- Urban Highways -- Mill And Fill
$469,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Washington Avenue [Congress Street to Cumberland Avenue]
Highway Construction/Rehabilitation -- Urban Highways -- Highway Rehabilitation
$1,570,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Route 77 [State Street? Congress Street to ?**]
Highway Paving -- Urban Highways -- Mill And Fill
$670,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Forest Avenue
Description: Beginning at Cumberland Avenue and extending north 0.14 of a mile to Portland Street. Beginning at Congress Street and extending north 0.15 of a mile to Cumberland Avenue. PACTS Sponsored.
Highway Paving -- Urban Highways -- Mill And Fill
$262,000

Work Plan Year: 2022/23
Asset(s): Franklin Street, Marginal Way
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements -- Urban Highways -- Intersection Improvements W/ Signal
$360,000

Steven Scharf

Jan 26, 2021, 4:12:09 PM1/26/21
to PB...@googlegroups.com
A word search of the word "Climate" shows 2 references in Intro and 4 projects, none having to do with Cliamte Change.
On that note you all might consider endorsing Rep Grayson Lookner's Legislaltion (LR 375 - no LD yet) An Act to Require Cliamte Change Impact Note on all Proposed Legislation.  That of course would apply to the MeDOT work plan if passed
TD
Train Time
ps, we have 6 rail bills in

--
Anthony J. Donovan, Director
 Maine Rail Transit Coalition

Train Time

Bruce Hyman

Jan 26, 2021, 4:48:10 PM1/26/21
to Christian MilNeil, PB...@googlegroups.com, Jeremiah Bartlett
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the question. This is the PTC Neighborhood Byway project that will connect the Portland Transportation Center via local streets (Sewall, Whitney, Orland, Beacon and Nevens) to Woodfords Corner and the Deering Center Byway.

We put the project out to bid in November 2019; the bids came in $100,000 over budget, or approx. 35% over. We didn't have the funds available to make up the difference to award the bid. The City applied for and got an increase from PACTS in the project budget in August 2020 that won't fully cover that $100,000 gap but we are re-tooling the bid some. The bidding environment has since softened some as well - most city and DOT projects saw bids 25% to often 100% over the cost estimates in the 2018-2020 hot construction bidding time period. We plan to re-bid the project this March for construction this year as well (bids willing).
--
Bruce Hyman
Transportation Program Manager

Department of Planning & Urban Development
389 Congress Street
Portland, Maine 04101
(207) 874-8717 phone

bhy...@portlandmaine.gov
http://www.portlandmaine.gov/1363/Transportation-Division
http://www.portlandmaine.gov
*Yes! Transportation's Good Here ....*

Notice: Under Maine law, documents - including e-mails - in the possession of public officials or city employees about government business may be classified as public records. There are very few exceptions. As a result, please be advised that what is written in an e-mail could be released to the public and/or the media if requested.

Zack Barowitz

Feb 8, 2021, 6:39:00 PM2/8/21
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee, Christian MilNeil, Jeremiah Bartlett
Bruce, Jeremiah;
Is there any possibility that we might rethink the Sewall, Whitney, Orland, Beacon and Nevens route to Woodfords Corner? It looks nice and flat on paper but this is a seriously hilly route. I prefer Sewall - Douglass - Devonshire - Dearing - to Woodfords. Flatter, low traffic, and goes by several useful businesses including Vienntienne who I cannot recommend highly enough for their handmade cotton masks.
Thanks,
Zack

--
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.